Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #1221
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Wow, never heard of those before. Going to have to look at those for our van and maybe the cabin too!
Here you go ...

https://hepvo.com/

https://www.amazon.com/HEPVO/b/ref=b...owse-bin=HEPVO

Depending on the specific installation run of the drain line there can still be an elbow of horizontal line run that could hold a little water. But not like a P-trap that is designed to be filled with water to stop smelly sewer gas from coming back up the drain line.

That leads to another thought that on an older Interstates that has conventional P-traps - if they sit and the water in the trap evaporates on a drain not being used regularly it could be the source of smell from the gray water waste tank.

Same thing could happen with a Hepvo valve if some food particles dumped down a sink drain could hold the valve bladder slightly open and introduce odor. Best to flush the drains routinely to keep them clean in case of Hepvo valve and to keep water in a P-trap.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #1222
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Access to the front dash of the T1N

Does anyone know how to get access behind the cigarette lighter in the T1N. We need to pull off the panel to route some wires. Are there any special tools that are needed? I believe that someone posted a link to the set, but for the life of me, I can't find them.

Thanks in Advance!

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #1223
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
To further define.... I am trying to gain access to the inside of the center console

Thank you!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #1224
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
From memory:
Remove the plastic piece around the shifter in the panel. That allows the panel to move.
Then one screw- access after removing the little ‘change’ pocket on the middle lower part of the panel.
After that, carefully move the rearward part up- the front part has three tabs that lock into the full dash panel.
Quite easy- but be careful with wires. No special tools at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post

Does anyone know how to get access behind the cigarette lighter in the T1N. We need to pull off the panel to route some wires. Are there any special tools that are needed? I believe that someone posted a link to the set, but for the life of me, I can't find them.

Thanks in Advance!

Katy
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #1225
3 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post

Thanks in Advance!

Katy
Lotus54 sounds like he knows, but if you need any additional info you might look at www.sprinter-source.com -- the T1N Forum.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:51 AM   #1226
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On the general theme of mods, a van conversion course in Austin Texas October 12-14, 2018.

I had never heard of this event before today, and I have no idea what the quality is like, but the price seems reasonable (no worthwhile conference ever happened for free).

Might be good for people who are new on the DIY learning curve, considering mods to their Interstate, and would like to get a lot of basic information quickly.

https://www.alternativehomestoday.co...cvcc-live-2018
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #1227
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Looking at the "Shorty" has started my "modify the damn thing" genes rumbling again.

I'm starting to wonder how much trouble it would be to mount a small microwave in the upper cabinet over the galley, like in the "Shorty." As I posted elsewhere, our use of the microwave is hot water and an occasional frozen meal (Atkins, usually), never convection or major cooking I can get power to it easily in the upper cabinet and I can easily laminate whatever pieces of plywood I need for mounting and trim. I have some questions in mind as to what reinforcement the upper cabinet may require, but we currently have that cabinet pretty well packed with canned goods which are not light.

With that done, I could pull out the old microwave. That will allow vertical clearance for a deeper sink and a real, non-folding faucet. The balance of the old microwave space would become a nice, big drawer for all of the stuff that is now in the upper cabinet.

I may yet get my rig to where I want it. Just think ... one more thing I would not need to bend my creaky knees to access.

Another possibility would be a small microwave in place of the larger one which would allow space behind for a better faucet to protrude downward. That's why the GT can be modified to a better faucet, but the Lounge can not. There could be a shallow drawer under the smaller microwave for canned goods on their sides. The new microwave controls would be somewhat higher that way.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #1228
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
We have a Lounge Ext and I too am tired of getting on my knees to operate the microwave. We are having new cabinetry installed in place of the second row seats. This cabinetry will house the relocated microwave several inches higher. Will still have to bend over, but at least I won’t have to kneel to see the panel. BTW my upfitter ran into a little wrinkle. Wilson art is discontinuing the Asian Night laminate and we managed to get our order in just before its shutdown.

Your idea of a deeper sink struck a chord....we presently plan to fill the microwave’s old space with drawers...a deeper sink sounds like a good option. Hmmmmmmm. Darn..just when I think I’ve reached the end of the “changes”......LOL.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #1229
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Your idea of a deeper sink struck a chord....we presently plan to fill the microwave’s old space with drawers...a deeper sink sounds like a good option. Hmmmmmmm. Darn..just when I think I’ve reached the end of the “changes”......LOL.
There is a thread on here where a GT owner replaced the sink and faucet. I don't have time to search for it at the moment (getting ready for an AI trip). The result really looked good. He remarked that the GT already has enough clearance to handle the change.

Since I converted our Lounge to twin beds, the second-row seats are where we do our TV watching. My front TV is on a swing arm to drop it to better viewing height. Otherwise, I would take out at least one seat and build a cabinet.

I hope they don't discontinue the gloss Asian Sand. I have used just about all of my supply.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #1230
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Since I converted our Lounge to twin beds, the second-row seats are where we do our TV watching. My front TV is on a swing arm to drop it to better viewing height. Otherwise, I would take out at least one seat and build a cabinet.
We are having the rear lounge converted to twins as well. The new beds will raise up (around waist level) to allow TV viewing. I will probably relocate the front TV to the front wall outside the bathroom (above new cabinet replacing the other second row seat). Then we could watch from the front seats after we swivel them around.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #1231
Contributing Member

Changing to twin beds was the best thing I have done to the AI yet (and I have made a lot of changes). It does make our 2nd row seats more useful.

I moved the jump seat bases out a few inches and built them up all around to the level of the top of the water heater, which was the highest item anywhere under the beds. I used 3/4" plywood for the beds; same 27" width as the GT twins. The rear couple of feet of the beds are cantilevered to leave plenty of storage underneath.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-29-2018, 04:47 AM   #1232
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Interstate Mods - I'll go First

Quote:
We have a Lounge Ext and I too am tired of getting on my knees to operate the microwave. We are having new cabinetry installed in place of the second row seats. This cabinetry will house the relocated microwave several inches higher.

Post photos when your mods are complete. We’d love to see them!
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #1233
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I'm starting to wonder how much trouble it would be to mount a small microwave in the upper cabinet over the galley, like in the "Shorty."
Quote:
We have a Lounge Ext and I too am tired of getting on my knees to operate the microwave.
JOHN, TOSKEYSAM - Sometimes, being short has it's advantages. I do not need my microwave relocated. It is in the perfect spot. Now if I could only relocate my windshield lower at microwave level, then I can clean it without needing my 14ft. ladder.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #1234
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
storage

Quote:
We have a Lounge Ext. We are having new cabinetry installed in place of the second row seats. This cabinetry will house the relocated microwave several inches higher. .
I posted this on another thread but it fits here.
I installed this cabinet bin/storage a year ago and it is by far the most useful mod I've done. It has really improved the travelling and camping experience

The amount of storage is amazing and the extra counter top is priceless.

The crates are very functional. Easy in and out and way more efficient than drawers or cupboards.

It is anchored to sleepers that are attached with the seat bolts. Rock solid. (but the whole mod is reversible)

I know it's not "Lear Jet" pretty....more "Wordless Workshop" from Mechanix Illustrated...but the laminate matches on the top and sides.

The design could easily be modified to hold the microwave.

The dimensions were all driven by the crate sizes. I thought it would be too tall, but it's very ergonomic. The pedestal table still fits.

I tried to get some cabinet makers interested in building it but it didn't draw any interest...too small of a project, I guess. So I made it myself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bin.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	323972  
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #1235
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
I installed this cabinet bin/storage a year ago and it is by far the most useful mod I've done. It has really improved the travelling and camping experience

The crates are very functional. Easy in and out and way more efficient than drawers or cupboards.

It is anchored to sleepers that are attached with the seat bolts. Rock solid.

I know it's not "Lear Jet" pretty....more "Wordless Workshop" from Mechanix Illustrated...but the laminate matches on the top and sides.

The dimensions were all driven by the crate sizes. I thought it would be too tall, but it's very ergonomic. The pedestal table still fits.

I tried to get some cabinet makers interested in building it but it didn't draw any interest...too small of a project, I guess. So I made it myself
VATOM - Nice job. I wish I had the flexibility to do that to gain useful storage. But for now, using the 4 front seats are needed. Maybe when grandson does not travel with us anymore. Regarding cabinet makers, there are many that custom make just drawers for kitchen storage solutions. We used them for our stick house pantry, they do any custom dimensions. Since you already have the framing, it may be an option if you want wood drawers with full extension slides.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #1236
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post

It is anchored to sleepers that are attached with the seat bolts. Rock solid. (but the whole mod is reversible)

VAtom, thanks for posting this. It is very similar to what I have been planning. Can you post or send me more details and photos?
Thank you.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #1237
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
bin detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
VAtom, thanks for posting this. It is very similar to what I have been planning. Can you post or send me more details and photos?
Thank you.
The top is 36 x 22
The box is 40 hi x 30.5 x 20 deep
The bin openings are 14 x 12
The oak is 1-1/2" door stop stock for the nautical edges.
The joinery is Kreg.
I bought 24 x 48 x 3/4 MDF because it was easy to transport home.
Plywood would be a better choice than MDF which is way too heavy and has no end grain.
The space between the driver seat and cabinet fits our RTIC cooler or 12 gallon trash can.
The plug is still barely accessible.
The crates are Farmplast

https://www.milkcratesdirect.com/?gc...8aAspaEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1base.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	324210   Click image for larger version

Name:	1bin.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	324211  

Name:	1side.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	324212   Click image for larger version

Name:	1top.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	324213  

VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #1238
Contributing Member

Nice work! Kreg is the way to go.

I love Kreg joinery. That's all I use any more. I have, in my shop, 3 different biscuit joiners and several doweling jigs; I never use any of them anymore. Someday, I'll bite the bullet and garage sale the bunch.

My wife calls me a "toolaholic." I guess she is right. I just hate to give up any tool and I have to avoid places where I end up buying more.

OTOH, I can and do fix everything around here, so she can not gripe too much.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #1239
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yep. Around here as well. Wife tends to buy me tools for most new projects.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #1240
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm cross-posting a note in this thread for those readers who may have done extensive mods to their Interstate and who may not have considered the insurance ramifications of their own upfits and cumulative investments.

I'm running down numbers and options right now on our existing policy, and this is just a thumbnail of what I've found:

-- Amount by which a standard policy write-off payout would fall short of our purchase price: $17,000

-- Amount by which a standard policy write-off payout would fall short of the actual cash that LB_3 and I have invested in our rig (forget about the 1,000 hours of DIY labor - no valuation of that in this figure): $32,000

-- Amount by which a standard policy write-off payout would fall short of the purchase price for a comparably-upfit replacement van: approx. $57,000.

I mitigate some of that exposure by carrying an Agreed Value policy instead of a standard policy. But that would only ever supply a maximum pay-out equal to the original purchase price.

Furthermore it's getting harder for me to sustain that policy due to a number of factors, including Progressive's belief that the van has been depreciating rather than appreciating, as I would argue it has done. I'm inquiring as to what an independent vehicle appraisal would cost, and if anyone could even do it (it's a camper van, not a restored classic car).

Anyway, for those of you modding with solar, lithium, and other pricey options, this is something you may want to evaluate for yourself. My numbers above are fairly big, and those are for an OLD Interstate. What might a newer Interstate's numbers look like?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote