Old 09-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #785
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
Glad to hear there is insulation in the doors . I was going to check in to the that. It's hard to hear sometimes on the phone with the wind noise from the passenger side.
The biggest improvement I discovered in reducing cabin noise was adding an additional seal for the doors. You can find the material at any auto parts store and it comes in different sizes. Here is the post with the photos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1716215

Old 09-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #786
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
Agree on the electrical tape. Mine will be heat shrink.

Order adapters from Impact Products

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141887556531

To install Kenwood KFC-1695PS Door Speakers
I just finished installing the driver side speaker with the spacer ebay seller above sells and the JBL speakers he recommended. Boy, this was a lot of pain! The speaker terminals were hitting the side and at first, would absolutely not clear the hole in the door. It took a lot of messing around to get it to eventually fit. Taking the door panel apart was also more work than I expected.

The sound improvement though was substantial. The OEM speaker is like a little clock radio speaker! Tiny 4 inch driver with a small magnet.

Will do the next door tomorrow.

Would be great to figure out how to replace the center speaker as that is the weak point. At high SPLs (volume), it gets distorted, and represents much of the mid-range we hear.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #787
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
We added a hall runner which we will use in cold weather. Purchased runner by the foot (26" wide) from Home Depot. My DH trimmed it to fit around the cabinetry. Warm feet on a cold morning...life is good!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475414574.048925.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	272715
Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #788
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That looks really nice!

I need to do something with my floor, as I have some staining from condensation that has seeped under the flooring.

That runner is probably washable, too, even if only with soapy water and a hose outside.

I might just try that

Maggie
Old 10-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #789
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Muncie , Indiana
MILATV: Is your AI mounted ladder the 68 inch one from Amazon or shorter. I'm getting ready to buy one today. Also, how is it holding up?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #790
Trying to Retire

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
MILATV: Is your AI mounted ladder the 68 inch one from Amazon or shorter. I'm getting ready to buy one today. Also, how is it holding up?
Here is the exact one I purchased:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It held up really well - one issue I had was that I was tying chairs to it with ratchet straps and over tightened (hard to explain but I'll try).

The ladder is slightly bowed away from the van (good) so when I ratcheted down the straps it pulled the top rung and bottom rung away from van -popping my bottom screws out of the door (OUCH - 1/2" hole there).

100% my fault - the ladder still covered the hole - so I just pulled off inside door panel & used a bolt instead of the screw; putting a fender washer, lockwasher and some red locktite on the inside of the door). FIXED.

Like all 'stainless' it eventually started showing a small amount of rust near the welds two years later, but I loved the flexibility.

PROS: nice place to tie chairs and even a bicycle to at one point.
: Can climb on roof to clean solar panel / blow off leaves

CONS: driver side rear door won't open all the way around to magnet, the ladder will hit side of van before magnets connect.

Traded in the 2013 silver van - now have a 2016 Black van - looking at this one for it. Salesman said they would probably pull the ladder off since nobody likes them on their vans. . . . (I loved mine)

https://smile.amazon.com/Ladder-2002...ter+van+ladder
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #791
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
I just finished installing the driver side speaker with the spacer ebay seller above sells and the JBL speakers he recommended. Boy, this was a lot of pain! The speaker terminals were hitting the side and at first, would absolutely not clear the hole in the door. It took a lot of messing around to get it to eventually fit. Taking the door panel apart was also more work than I expected.

The sound improvement though was substantial. The OEM speaker is like a little clock radio speaker! Tiny 4 inch driver with a small magnet.

Will do the next door tomorrow.

Would be great to figure out how to replace the center speaker as that is the weak point. At high SPLs (volume), it gets distorted, and represents much of the mid-range we hear.
The problem with the center speaker is that it is a "dual voice-coil" speaker that is a really weird size, and not easy to replace. Both the Left and Right channels feed into it.

If you find a dual voice-coal that fits, please let me know. So far, I have not been able to do so.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #792
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
The problem with the center speaker is that it is a "dual voice-coil" speaker that is a really weird size, and not easy to replace. Both the Left and Right channels feed into it.

If you find a dual voice-coal that fits, please let me know. So far, I have not been able to do so.
Would this one or this one fit? They are both 4" speakers.

Here's a smaller one (4X6).

Probably more out there, just search for '63-'67 Corvette speakers.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #793
1 Rivet Member

Muncie , Indiana
MILATV - Thanks for the update! Since our AI is black, I just ordered the black one from Amazon and am very excited about installing it. I really need to get on the roof to wash, reseal, wax, and take care of a small leak issue before seriously cold weather sets in. I will remember your warning about ratcheting things tightly to it, but will probably use it to dry towels in warm weather.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #794
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Would this one or this one fit? They are both 4" speakers.

Here's a smaller one (4X6).

Probably more out there, just search for '63-'67 Corvette speakers.
Unfortunately, no.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #795
1 Rivet Member

Muncie , Indiana
Mirror and Clothes Handles

Added a mirror to the bathroom wall, which works great. Also, added 4 ft. of needed clothes hanger handles, Yay!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	275422   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	275423  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	275424   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	275425  

Old 11-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #796
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
At some point in the past 18 months or so, one of the DIYers (Jerry maybe?) posted a pic of some under-body work and I noticed that he had built his own set of levelers for his Interstate using pressure-treated lumber, instead of using the typical stackers or commercially-available ramps.

I went back 2 years in this thread and I can't find that pic. I thought it was associated with a mod which is why I looked here. Does anyone remember who and where it was? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #797
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Found it. It was Professor Plum in the cellar with the spanner. Otherwise known as Boxster in the Lemon Law thread with the battery rack.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #798
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Here is a closeup shot of my lift blocks. I didn't use treated lumber, just scrap 2x4 and 2x6 pieces I had in my shop. I made four separate lift blocks so I can put one under each dual rear wheel. They lift the van 4.5" which really helps if you have to work under your van.

I've seen long lift planks that can raise the whole van. But they are bulky and hard to store. I'll see if I can find a photo of them that was on the Roadtrek blog. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1479869595.326383.jpg
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	275833

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote