Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #701
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc168 View Post
Next thing to add would be an in-motion satellite dome. Looks like people put those up at the front above the driver, probably to use the hole where the satellite radio antenna goes in.
One of the main reasons for putting the satellite dome up front is to ensure that it doesn't shade your solar panels.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #702
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Good post. I would upgrade for these panels but have a TV on the back don't wish to move it. Also I'm glad my window blinds are manual.
If you're talking about the TV antenna, you can easily relocate it to the top of the A/C unit as someone here did and posted some pics recently.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #703
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Yes I saw there is nothing to do just unbolt three legs of antenna and extend video cable to the front, but I don't think I need it now Mark.

What I've done yesterday is I extended the base of rearview camera in order to move it far from the top stop lamp a little bit, to avoid a red view on the monitor when you backup at night.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #704
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
One of the first things I looked into was the addition of more solar panels.

I'm still asking around to find out if anyone has done their own adjustment.

Nice, I did the same things plus added batteries

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1806655

Here is the performance on a recent trip with a good share of boondocking

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1819300

On the blinds, there are screws in the overhead cabinets that hold the side panels to the wall. Remove those screws, pull the panel away from the wall and you can access the blind limit adjust screws. In the material I recieved with my '16 GT it included the adjustment driver.

As far as rattling, I have found that driving with at least the Sunscreens down help a great deal.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #705
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Some fellows told on the page 12 and 16 that they pulled out a wire from the connector behind the box next to the retractable step, in order to eliminate step retraction upon starting the engine, and that is a good idea for my opinion. Just make sure to have the step retracted when driving )))

So when sliding door is opened and engine running - the step is extended, but is it beeping as "inappropriately retracted"?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #706
2 Rivet Member

Clifton , Virginia
Quote:
I've been a 2016 Airstream Interstate with VB air suspension owner since October 2015. One of the first things I looked into was the addition of more solar panels. Ours came with the single 100 watt panel.

I went on Amazon and ordered the Go Power flexible panels, exactly the same that the airstream came with. They were also half price of what the dealer was charging.

I know that some people criticize these panels, but I liked the fact that they were flexible and seemed very durable, and that they could be mounted pretty much flat on the roof without adding any more aerodynamic drag, and that they could be attached with industrial double stick tape.

Amazon had single expansion panels for around $511 each. Although they also had a deal with a 200watt kit hat included a charge controller. This kit was about the same cost for just the two panels. So I bought the kit just to have a spare charge controller and extra cables. I also bought a cable splitter with the correct connectors.

It was a pretty simple installation, I didn't have to drill holes, and now my vehicle will stay well charged even when leaving it with the refrigerator on and the vent fan blowing. Attachment 266720Attachment 266721
Very nice. I plan on copying your work. Were you able install these without additional cables? The kit comes with 25 ft cables which seem too long.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #707
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
So when sliding door is opened and engine running - the step is extended, but is it beeping as "inappropriately retracted"?
On my 2013 I did this and YES it still beeped (which I loved) I did this so I could drop my 80 year old mother in law off at the door of shopping center or where ever w/o cutting off the engine before opening the sliding door.

An even better solution would be to just wire the 'STEP HOLD' switch to keep the dang step out no matter what! that way I don't have to open & close the door to get the step to go in and out!
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #708
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Actually I like when it retracts, Mike.

Doe it beeps all the time when the step is extended, or just on the process of moving?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #709
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:

Doe it beeps all the time when the step is extended, or just on the process of moving?
As originally set up, it will beep from the time the engine starts until the step is fully retracted. Owner mods may alter that setting.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #710
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:

The bypass is just an 'autoretract when engine started' so everything else works fine.

SO: when bypassed you leave "Step Hold' in Off Position - step goes in and out WHENVEVER door is openned, if engine running - beeps to tell you step not retracted (or awning not fully in- have to check both )

This is how I used mine - but with Step hold in Off (so it always auto retracts) we have to remember to open door a few inches and wait until step is out to open rest of way - or the dog climbs out and gets hit with step! he was a little worried going in and out after that happened once; but now we hold him back until step all the way out before load/unload).

Nice part is there is an 'EASY' fix for whatever way you would like the step to act. (Oh; I have not made this mod to my 2016 with screens - there is no cubby hole to remove to access the plug so I'm back to the cutting off engine at the mall until I can crawl under and see if I can reach the plug from the backside of the wall).
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #711
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
It was kinda not easy to understand ))))

Yes the step is beeping while in process of extension or retraction, then beeping sound ends. And yes it also constantly beeps if there is some malfunction and it is not fully retructed.

If I will remove the wire from a connector which is pictured, my step will be always on when the door is opened, and it will be retracted when is door is closed, regardless of the engine running or not.

The questions is: will it continuously beeps when the door is opened and engine running? I mean, will the computer recognize this deliberately made malfunction?
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #712
2 Rivet Member

Clifton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post

Nice part is there is an 'EASY' fix for whatever way you would like the step to act. (Oh; I have not made this mod to my 2016 with screens - there is no cubby hole to remove to access the plug so I'm back to the cutting off engine at the mall until I can crawl under and see if I can reach the plug from the backside of the wall).

I did this mod on my 16 GT. I just removed the drawers under the microwave oven to access the wires.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #713
2 Rivet Member

Clifton , Virginia
Quote:
I've been a 2016 Airstream Interstate with VB air suspension owner since October 2015. One of the first things I looked into was the addition of more solar panels. Ours came with the single 100 watt panel.

I went on Amazon and ordered the Go Power flexible panels, exactly the same that the airstream came with. They were also half price of what the dealer was charging.

I know that some people criticize these panels, but I liked the fact that they were flexible and seemed very durable, and that they could be mounted pretty much flat on the roof without adding any more aerodynamic drag, and that they could be attached with industrial double stick tape.

Amazon had single expansion panels for around $511 each. Although they also had a deal with a 200watt kit hat included a charge controller. This kit was about the same cost for just the two panels. So I bought the kit just to have a spare charge controller and extra cables. I also bought a cable splitter with the correct connectors.

It was a pretty simple installation, I didn't have to drill holes, and now my vehicle will stay well charged even when leaving it with the refrigerator on and the vent fan blowing. Attachment 266720Attachment 266721

The 3M VHB mounting tape (industrial double stick tape) was plenty strong to hold the panels in place. Took them on a 3500 mile road trip at speeds up to 82 mph (speed limiter kicks in at 82) with no evidence of the panels coming loose.

One of the issues that drove me to put on the extra panels was because when the engine was running, it was not charging the house batteries. It turned out to be a mis-wired battery isolation manager. Even the dealer took a while to figure this out even though I told them to check for certain known problem areas such as the BIM. Now that the coach charges the batteries too (when driving, and I drive the Interstate almost every day) I never see the battery capacity drop below 70%. I always leave the refrigerator on, and at worst overnight maybe the battery drops to 80%.

I wish I could change the wires going into the Interstate from the solar panels to a higher gauge, but I don't think this can be done easily. (??)

The power blinds on the 2016 has its pluses and minuses. It's cool to be able to grab the remote and have all the blinds or screens be at your fingertips. However, they really rattle while driving down the less than smooth roads, and that's even with the air suspension option. The other issue is that if they are out of adjustment, (hanging too low, etc) then you have to take to the dealer to adjust. I'm still asking around to find out if anyone has done their own adjustment.
What I'm adding now are some small rolls of bubble wrap wedged between the blind and screen in order to hold them still while driving. But they fall out as soon as you drop the blinds.

Next thing to add would be an in-motion satellite dome. Looks like people put those up at the front above the driver, probably to use the hole where the satellite radio antenna goes in.

Just finished adding 2 x100 W panels. Everything went smoothly. Thank you jsc168 for giving me the inspiration!
Old 07-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #714
2 Rivet Member

Clifton , Virginia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468697308.645631.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	266958