Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #659
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
Regarding replacing the thermostat, wonder if a NEST thermostat would work?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #660
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Learning thermostats don't make much sense in an RV where you're gone for long unpredictable periods of time. But if you want to try it, make sure you get the battery powered version of the Nest thermostat.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #661
3 Rivet Member

Montclair , NJ
@interblog I use reflectix in the winter and summer for insulation. It really works! I like that I can still roll it up and get some light in the motor home when I want
Old 04-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #662
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
@interblog I use reflectix in the winter and summer for insulation. It really works! I like that I can still roll it up and get some light in the motor home when I want
Yesterday I was delighted to discover that you are correct! It's late April in Houston which means our daytime highs are creeping toward 90 degrees. But the real killer for the Interstate is not the ambient external air temperature - it's the intensity of incident sunlight. As I was working in the vehicle yesterday, I shifted the Reflectix from one side to the other depending on time of day - east side of the vehicle in the morning, west side in the afternoon. That way I could have some protection without having the whole thing be as dark as a tomb. The difference really was perceptible. Reflectix gets a bad rap for over-inflated insulation claims, but it does work in this application.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #663
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
That way I could have some protection without having the whole thing be as dark as a tomb.
I like "dark as a tomb." Really gives that man-cave feeling. Also very helpful for afternoon power naps, an indulgence I've recently acquired as I learn to relax more.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #664
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Yesterday I was delighted to discover that you are correct! It's late April in Houston which means our daytime highs are creeping toward 90 degrees. But the real killer for the Interstate is not the ambient external air temperature - it's the intensity of incident sunlight. As I was working in the vehicle yesterday, I shifted the Reflectix from one side to the other depending on time of day - east side of the vehicle in the morning, west side in the afternoon. That way I could have some protection without having the whole thing be as dark as a tomb. The difference really was perceptible. Reflectix gets a bad rap for over-inflated insulation claims, but it does work in this application.

I agree - Reflectix does really reduce the heat gain form all those big windows. I have one for every window that I made after getting a tip on the stuff from a camping neighbor on a trip to Key West about three years ago. I keep the set on the sunny side when parked in my driveway. The dark as a tomb feature worked well on our trip to Alaska. I kept all the windows in back covered so it was dark enough to sleep in the land of eternal sunlight during the summer.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #665
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Has anyone found a way line the window captured behind the bathroom insert with reflectix? Being a closed space I find it REALLY heats up when parked with that side facing the sun.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #666

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Has anyone found a way line the window captured behind the bathroom insert with reflectix? Being a closed space I find it REALLY heats up when parked with that side facing the sun.
Not without removing the window. The awning is your best protection against heat buildup there.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #667
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
You can access this area from the panel on the backside of the shower compartment, and push it through in two separate pieces, and also stuff insulation in there. It's not easy, nor perfect, but it helped when I did that. There is no other way to access this space and do it correctly short of removing the shower-and that's not an easy task at all.

When I was at Jackson Center for a shower stall replacement in an attempt to remedy a shower floor pan that was not level, I inspected the area and there was no insulation at all behind the shower. The temperature inside the shower could bake a chicken. I personally put reflectix with tape over the window area and completely blocked it-the way it should have been done in production-and then added a layer of insulation on top of that as well. All Airstream does is spray a black thin coating of something on the window, which does nothing at all to keep the heat from building up in the bath. In fact, I think it is more to keep you from seeing the other side of the shower and actually makes it hotter. It's another thing, not seen, that Airstream does to save a buck or two, knowing you won't figure that out until you've already bought it. Beauty is only skin deep.

I'm not sure if the latest versions still have the same lack of insulation or not but I'd be surprised if they have changed how they build them.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #668
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
....I inspected the area and there was no insulation at all behind the shower. The temperature inside the shower could bake a chicken. ....
Reminiscent of hubster and I finding no insulation above the cab ceiling liner. And it did make a wonderful difference when we insulated it.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #669
2011 Airstream Interstate

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
Cabin A/C

This may be on here somewhere, but, I can't find it. What is the best way to get A/C to the back on hot days without starting the generator? We have tried a fan with mixed results. Is there a way to put in an A/C unit that runs with the engine?

Got to find a way not to bake the kids as we drive across the country.

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #670
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We did pretty well closing the two side vents, leaving the two center open and pointed straight back.

Turn the fan on high and hit the recirculate button. The latter is the key to cooling and comfort inside.

Takes a few minutes, but we have been cross country in ours with 4 grands in August and all lived to tell the tale.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 04:23 AM   #671

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Turn the fan on high and hit the recirculate button. The latter is the key to cooling and comfort inside.
My Interstate won't stay on "recirculate" for more than about twenty minutes at a time. According to the Sprinter manuals, it's some kind of interior air quality thing since air drawn in from outside is filtered but recirculated air isn't. So about every half hour, you'll have to press the "recirculate" button again. Mildly annoying, but doable.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #672
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mine, too, but using it makes a huge difference in hot weather.

Maggie