Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #921
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Nothing on the vendor's page said so. But if you already bought the kit I'll take your word for it.

If you're right then I'll be returning one unused kit for a refund. No biggie.
From Sprinter Parts Depot web page I linked above it says:
"Kit comes with two handles designed for driver and passenger side doors"

But you are right - the Terrawagen web site doesn't mention that it's a pair of handles.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #922
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
But you are right - the Terrawagen web site doesn't mention that it's a pair of handles.
Of course! I'm always right— except when I'm not.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #923

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlundell View Post
Then...because the TV speakers are quite tinny, especially for dialogue in the British mysteries we love, I found a soundbar that fits perfectly on the cabinet wall, plugs into the outlet and connects to the TV.
Just received my sound bar from Amazon, and I have another question… How did you mount it to the cabinet wall?

Also, it's a good thing the sound bar comes with a remote, because when I mount mine, the buttons on the right side may be up against the right side of the van and inaccessible; my rear TV is mounted on the passenger side.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #924
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Not cheap at $149, but genuine Mercedes parts. The handle comes with the appropriate drill bit, rivnuts, and a rivnut setting tool. It should be here in two days and my wife will be thrilled.

The source is Terrawagen.com.[/QUOTE]

My wife will appreciate having this on passenger side so i've ordered a pair.

Looks like a quality product.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #925
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Sumo Springs?

I have been wandering about through the various other Class B threads on the Sprinter forum. In the Winnebago threads, especially, it seems that a lot of folks are installing SumoSprings on their Sprinters. They are mentioned quite a lot.

Does anyone here have experiences good or bad with SumoSprings? They apparently replace the stops on the springs with softer and more progressive rubber stops that have trapped air bubbles that compress and cushion impacts. They come in several different densities; larger air bubbles being softer.

SumoSprings
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #926

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I have been wandering about through the various other Class B threads on the Sprinter forum. In the Winnebago threads, especially, it seems that a lot of folks are installing SumoSprings on their Sprinters. They are mentioned quite a lot.
I have given some thought to adding them. I'm not especially close to GVWR on my Interstate, but Louisiana potholes are murder!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #927

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlundell View Post
Then...because the TV speakers are quite tinny, especially for dialogue in the British mysteries we love, I found a soundbar that fits perfectly on the cabinet wall, plugs into the outlet and connects to the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Just received my sound bar from Amazon, and I have another question… How did you mount it to the cabinet wall?
Never mind. Discovered that the sound bar won't mount to my cabinet all at all unless I remove the television mount, which kind of defeats the purpose. So I hooked up the sound bar to my home television, and I'll just use Bluetooth headphones to listen to the TV in my Interstate.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #928
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Grab handles installed

Here are shots of the grab handle kit and of the roadside handle installed.

The quality of the handle is great and the kit is well packaged with good instructions. Their method of expanding the RivNuts is a bit awkward using two wrenches on a bolt and an oversize nut. The RivNut wants to turn when you want it to stay still. After the first RivNut was set, I had the drill down and the remaining nuts went much faster.

You will need a pop-rivet tool.

The handles are not in the line-of-sight to the mirrors.

I had been grabbing the steering wheel to get in. The new handle is much better located and makes getting in a lot easier. Probably safer getting out, also, since I know someone who took a tumble getting out of an AI. My wife is going to love her handle since she is not very tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle kit.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	291597   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS handle.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	291598  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #929
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Here are shots of the grab handle kit and of the roadside handle installed.

The quality of the handle is great and the kit is well packaged with good instructions. Their method of expanding the RivNuts is a bit awkward using two wrenches on a bolt and an oversize nut. The RivNut wants to turn when you want it to stay still. After the first RivNut was set, I had the drill down and the remaining nuts went much faster.

You will need a pop-rivet tool.

The handles are not in the line-of-sight to the mirrors.

I had been grabbing the steering wheel to get in. The new handle is much better located and makes getting in a lot easier. Probably safer getting out, also, since I know someone who took a tumble getting out of an AI. My wife is going to love her handle since she is not very tall.
Yes - they are great and if you look closely at inside surfaces of the handles you will see the Mercedes part number as these are OEM parts. This option became available on Sprinters a few years ago. You can get the same parts from your local Mercedes dealer for less, but TerraWagen has very cleverly packaged this kit for our convenience.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #930
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
grab handles

I have to put in a good word about Terrawagen. I've been following the comments about the grab handles and knew I had to have a pair. So, went online and ordered them; their online calculator added in postage amount. Two hours later I get an email from them stating that they were refunding 1/2 the shipping cost because the online calculator gave a higher figure than needed. I answered back telling them that such honesty is rare - especially in a situation in which I never would have known the difference. Got a personal reply thanking me and hoping I enjoy the product. Refreshing.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #931
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Found drawer bins that fit below the sofa in our GT. A little Velcro under the back holds them in place on the carpet.

Name:	IMG_1452.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	291840
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #932

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
I have to put in a good word about Terrawagen.

Got a personal reply thanking me and hoping I enjoy the product. Refreshing.
Seconded. As previously stated, I ended up ordering two sets of handles, thinking that I was ordering two handles. A quick email to Terrawagen, and they sent me a return label less than half an hour later so I can return one set of handles at no charge. They'll refund the cost as soon as the excess grab handles are received at their end.

I also suggested they add text to the grab handle web page to let future customers know they come in pairs. We'll see if they make that suggested change.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #933
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
I added a V12 Detroit Deisel to repower the scrawny electric vent fan in the bathroom of my Overlander. Moves a lot more air but the GF is not happy with the noise.
Now that right there is funny!
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #934
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Found drawer bins that fit below the sofa in our GT. A little Velcro under the back holds them in place on the carpet.

Attachment 291840
I have two trunk organizers that fit in mine...side by side, and they have dividers.

It is my pantry area when traveling.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #935
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Regarding Pahaska's SumoSpring question: I have the front and back sumo springs in our 22' AI. I installed the front set relatively easily but the rear were an exercise in frustration. You have to remove the oringinal leaf spring rubber stops and flex the Sumos into the clips. The problem is the rubber is very stiff and is very difficult to get it seated in the limited space to maneuver. After numerous attempts, I finally took it to a shop that had a lift and could get better access. I installed them in hopes that they would fix my crosswind handling issue (they didn't) but the front ones did help a bit on the sway when turning into a driveway. I eventually solved the problem with the heavier swaybar, Koni shocks, and better tires. Not sure what handling/ride issue you are hoping to improve but I would probably not install them if I had it to do over.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #936

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
I installed them in hopes that they would fix my crosswind handling issue (they didn't) but the front ones did help a bit on the sway when turning into a driveway. I eventually solved the problem with the heavier swaybar, Koni shocks, and better tires. Not sure what handling/ride issue you are hoping to improve but I would probably not install them if I had it to do over.
The only things I did for improving handling were a front end alignment and replacing the stock shocks with Koni Reds front and rear.

Still some uncomfortable sway when crossing the ubiquitous "mountable" curbs at any driveway in the New Orleans metro area, but that's a momentary issue at the beginning or end of a trip when entering my apartment complex's parking lot, and not worth spending a lot of money to fix.

Sumo Springs don't really help anything except to add stiffness to the suspension when the springs try to bottom out. Unless you're in the habit of carrying heavy loads aft, or towing a trailer with a high tongue weight, the Sumo Springs on the rear won't really help. And Sumo Springs on the front really won't help under any normal circumstances, because you will almost never come anywhere close to bottoming out the front end.

In fact, in the New Orleans metro area with its rampant potholes and pavement uplifted by tree roots, Sump Springs would make the ride worse, not better, because the ride would be stiffer and more of the force of the up/down impact force from hitting potholes or bumps would be transmitted to the frame and thence to my derriere.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #937
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post

Attachment 291840

Good find !
Here is another good storage solution. Good quality with locking lids. Two of these from Container Store stack in the GT rear bin and I still have room to the side and 2-3 inches on top allows my tool kit to just barely fit under the lid.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5135.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	291915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5136.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	291916  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #938
3 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Thumbs up Sumo Springs

Regarding the Sumo Springs, I must respectfully disagree with the above post.

We have a "SOB" (2009 View / 2008 "Dodge" Sprinter 3500) but the same Sprinter chassis.

We installed Sumos on the front and did notice an improvement.

What really surprised both my wife and I was that the ride was actually _softer_ over small imperfections. Both of us assumed that the ride would be stiffer.

Unlike the the stock bump stops, the Sumos are in constant contact, even with no load.

They are essentially a progressive rate air spring. In fact, one of the owners of SuperSprings (mfr of the Sumos) told me that we might as well keep our Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on the rear because they perform about the same as the Sumos -- and the Firestones are adjustable which we like because we usually (but not always) carry a Suzuki DRZ400 on a hitch carrier.

The Sumos help some with the push from trucks, but it is still there. With most trucks it seems to be less, but every once in awhile we still get a good shove. I haven't figured out why that is. Wind speed/direction? Size and shape of the truck?

In short, they do not work miracles but I feel they are worth the money.

Hope that helps.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #939

2012 Interstate Coach
After the discussion regarding SumoSprings, I decided to go ahead and buy a set, front and rear. Just goes to show that even a crusty old engineer can still learn…

On a different subject, just replaced the original and ridiculously dim patio light on my Interstate with a larger and brighter one that also has outdoor stereo speakers with Bluetooth connectivity so I can play music from my phone through the speakers. The lights also change color, controlled through a free app on my phone.

Available from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170825_180817[1].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	293231   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170825_180723[1].jpg
Views:	156
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	293232