Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #603
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
While packing today for our trip out west, I found a better place to store the small ladder I feel I need to take.

Previously, I stored it horizontally behind my extra cabinets across the rear of the seat frame. To keep it from rattling, I used velcro to tie it to the seat frame. The problem here was to get access to the storage area under the seat I had to remove the ladder. Also, at night when we put the seat down to make a bed, I had to undo my velcro ties so we could push the ladder to the rear for clearance for the bed.

Recently I found some hooks at Lowe's that I planned on using to hold our laundry bags and Sharon's art bag with her painting supplies. As so often happens as we age, last night I had one of those periods where I could not go to sleep. As one does in those times, the mind wanders. It came to me that I could use those same hooks to hold my ladder.

This morning I tried it with the existing hooks I had previously installed. I could see that it would work but I would need more hooks. A quick trip to Lowe's netted some additional hooks and now the ladder hangs upside down on the hooks. I used a rubber bungee strap to keep the ladder in tension against the hooks to prevent rattling.

I am also using the area on each side of those vertical cabinets for storage. The left side (from the rear) had the broom, dust pan, a long handle bug sponge and a brush for washing the AI. The right side has an expandable clothes line, an ironing board and our umbrella's.

My wife's art group recently had a Plein Air paint-out in Salisbury, NC with artists coming from as far away as Indiana and Florida. The artist from Indiana was driving a Sprinter van that he had maximized for his trips to art gatherings. We had to check it out and I noticed that he had supported the center awning support with clips vertically just inside the sliding door. I then remembered the clips that had come with the support and found them on my counter. I installed them just behind the right rear seat making the support readily accessible. Probably not the first person to do this.

There was a workshop for the painters where an instructor taught them to work with a palette knife instead of using brushes. Sharon really liked the effect and produced these two paintings since the workshop.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #604
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Beautiful examples of plein air art. Hope she shares some more of her work with us as you travel our way.
Very well designed and executed mods on your interstate. Congratulations and have fun.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #605
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The paintings are really lovely.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #606
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
Beautiful examples of plein air art. Hope she shares some more of her work with us as you travel our way.
Very well designed and executed mods on your interstate. Congratulations and have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
The paintings are really lovely.

Maggie
Thanks. This would probably not be the best thread for posting her artwork. That being said, I will post this last one that she recently did in her studio with palette knives.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #607
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I have still not been able to upload the details (text and pictures) of my solar upgrade. Sorry. If anybody would like it I can e-mail it to you. Let me know. I have not yet taken a trip, but 200W keeps batteries fully charged in the driveway with the main disconnect on. Old 50W panel would not do that.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #608
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I have still not been able to upload the details (text and pictures) of my solar upgrade. Sorry. If anybody would like it I can e-mail it to you. Let me know. I have not yet taken a trip, but 200W keeps batteries fully charged in the driveway with the main disconnect on. Old 50W panel would not do that.
Hopefully this will help.

Go to Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing and open an account. It is free.

Once you have an account opened, make a new folder titled whatever you want it to be.

Click on the "Upload" button and then make sure you have selected your new folder.

Click on "Choose Photos and Videos" and go to the folder on your computer where you have placed your photos. Select the files you want to upload by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking on the files you want to show. Click on "Open" and the files will be uploaded to your new folder.

In Photobucket, go to "Library" and select the folder you created.

Click on the thumbnail photo you want to place in your post. That will take you to a larger version. To the the upper right of that photo you will see three options: Direct, HTML, IMG

Click once in the IMG box and that text will be copied.

Go to your post, place your cursor where you want the photo to be, right click at the cursor and select "Paste" To add another photo, you can go back to Photobucket and use the arrows to select another photo and then click on the "IMG" text area again to copy the text.

Sounds complicated when you write it out like this but once you do it once, you will find it to be a very easy process.

Good Luck!!!
Old 09-09-2015, 04:32 AM   #609
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Thanks or the detailed explanation. It seems to be instructions for putting pictures in the post. I have a long write-up that includes both text and pitures and I was hoping to have it as an attachment to my post. I have it as .doc or .pdf with embedded jpeg pictures. Do the pictures in it have to be IMG too?
Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 AM   #610
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I found this vid to be well worth three minutes of my time... all the mods that Brent Rose has done to his T1N Sprinter. Not an Interstate but all the ideas translate. Solar, lithium, security, water conservation - pretty much everything people have talked about on numerous threads here.

Protag, look at the false face he has for his expensive stereo - THAT is a brilliant theft deterrent idea, one that never occurred to any of us. And he did go ahead and install a permanent conventional safe - not sure if I will follow suit, but at least now I see that it can be done if someone wants to go that way.

Anyway, nice work. He might turn Class B boondocking into a next big thing.

What Happens When a Tech Writer Decides to Live in a Van | WIRED
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #611
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Somewhere in the burgeoning thread stack, I mentioned that my husband is working on retrofitting projectors into our Interstate's headlight assemblage. It's a long term project that has to be a total custom job because the T1N is so old that there is no solution that can be adapted off the shelf.

The OEM lights are so bad that I overdrive them starting at about 45 mph. I am severely myopic so I'm "visually challenged" to start with, and I basically refuse to drive after dark with the Interstate in its present configuration as a result of this. The existing lights cause me to do this, both literally and figuratively:

Here's an interim update that shows a dry-fit comparison between the Sprinter OEM and the projectors that my husband bought on the internet. Key variables (shutter speed, distance from the wall) are held constant and no photo processing was done. We've got a ways to go before we can successfully get these things installed in the Interstate and functioning properly, but I'm looking forward to that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151013_OEM_vs_PROJECTOR.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	250316  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #612
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Hopefully he'll be able to get the cutoff right as there are some vehicles out there w/ aftermarket lites that are blinding to oncoming drivers. I suspect some are where HIDs were installed in regular headlites (non-projector).

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #613
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Hopefully he'll be able to get the cutoff right as there are some vehicles out there w/ aftermarket lites that are blinding to oncoming drivers. I suspect some are where HIDs were installed in regular headlites (non-projector).
Yes, you are correct - that is extremely important, and that factor is what is taking up much of my husband's planning and execution time. He can't simply shove the projectors into the new headlight frames he had shipped in from Poland (of all places). It's not that simple.

The other complexity is that T1Ns were birthed without DRLs, to over-use some acronyms. Instead of installing conventional daytime running lights, Mercedes simply wired the headlights to remain on at all times, in order to meet American regulatory intent (apparently). Well, projectors are neither designed nor intended to perform a DRL function, so there needs to be a secondary bulb and a circuit workaround for that issue.

All in all, a very complex project. Fortunately there is a forum devoted exclusively to projector retrofits, and my husband has found that to be very helpful.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #614
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
With apologies to Mel Brooks, "We don't need no stinkin' DRLs." While I haven't read the statute, I've never been stopped for not having them on. And there are a lot of folks out there w/ them off.

Is he going to use HIDs?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #615
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The first pic is a Euro T1N low beam with standard halogen bulb. The second pic above is the light output of a HID projector taken out of a Lexus RX350. The increase in light output is pretty incredible.

Adjusting up/down and left/right isn't nearly as difficult as adjusting rotation. Direction can be adjusted with the standard headlight adjustment knobs however rotation is impossible to adjust once it is set short of cutting up the housing and gluing it back together.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #616
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
With apologies to Mel Brooks, "We don't need no stinkin' DRLs." While I haven't read the statute, I've never been stopped for not having them on. And there are a lot of folks out there w/ them off.
Apparently there are a lot of people who agree with you, because I just now started looking at headlight-related requirements, which are a hot mess that varies state to state, as this excerpt from a Bankrate blog suggests:

"The analysis shows that the majority of states require headlight use when visibility is less than 1,000 feet. However, some states require headlights to be used when visibility is 500 feet. Two states, South Dakota and Tennessee, are more lenient, requiring headlights only when visibility is less than 200 feet, while the laws in four states (Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota and South Carolina) stipulate car headlight use only when wipers are in use.

A handful of states, however, have more specific laws for headlight use that could catch an out-of-town driver (or a resident not up on current laws) completely off-guard. The most common requirement is to use headlights when wipers are in use. More obscure requirements include Pennsylvania, which requires drivers to turn on their headlights in construction zones, while Alaska requires headlights at speeds above 45 mph on designated highways."

Good grief. Apparently it was in response to stuff like all this, and also following Euro and Canadian leads, that prompted US manufacturers to install DRLs as well as automatic-on headlights. But apparently DRLs have been controversial since the very beginning, with widespread arguments especially on the issue of voltage and whether they interfere with signal visibility during daytime hours.

I'm from Canada where snow blindness can really impact driving conditions and where winter days are ultra-short. My personal tendency was to accept DRLs enthusiastically and without question.