Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #841
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Major power mods coming to my Interstate. Decided to "go for it" and Lew is adding more solar, lots of lithium batteries, new inverter/charger....and a raft of other goodies. Can't wait to go pick this baby back up. Killing time in the Keys until then. [emoji4][emoji267]

Nice! Love spending time in the Keys - it's a very relaxing place to kill time.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #842
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Free space

I hate wasted space!

Has anyone investigated the space behind the blank panel in the overhead console behind the windshield? The Sprinter manual shows it as a spot for a timer for the auxiliary warm air heater.

I popped the blank panel to find an empty space with an easily removed perforated plastic sleeve, open at the end. There are lots of wires crossing in the very back of the space. I always can find use for spaces like this for things like my bag of quarters for tolls, spare glasses, and the like. There is an unused cable with a small connector on the end that would likely be a source of +12 if I need power for what I choose to put there. I haven't checked that yet.

I'll think I'll just construct a solid sleeve, to use it for storage. Since the opening will be pointing aft, I shouldn't need more than a small lip to secure whatever I store there.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #843
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I hate wasted space!

Has anyone investigated the space behind the blank panel in the overhead console behind the windshield? The Sprinter manual shows it as a spot for a timer for the auxiliary warm air heater.

I popped the blank panel to find an empty space with an easily removed perforated plastic sleeve, open at the end. There are lots of wires crossing in the very back of the space. I always can find use for spaces like this for things like my bag of quarters for tolls, spare glasses, and the like. There is an unused cable with a small connector on the end that would likely be a source of +12 if I need power for what I choose to put there. I haven't checked that yet.

I'll think I'll just construct a solid sleeve, to use it for storage. Since the opening will be pointing aft, I shouldn't need more than a small lip to secure whatever I store there.

Some folks have mounted a CB/2M radio in this space. I have also considered it.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #844
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Keys trip and Lew's solar/battery/ et al mods complete. 4-100 watt panels, 3000 watt hybrid inverter/charger, WeBoost, Jack antenna, and 480 ahrs of lithium batteries installed. Sooo nice to see lots of amps going into the battery bank.....and that's just from the panels. On the road home...pics later. Lew's craftsmanship is outstanding. Thank you Lew!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #845
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
+1 on Lew's craftsmanship. He upgraded our van in December and it's been working great. Pictures here: https://www.meprettybird.com/birdcag...ajor-upgrades/
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #846
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yes, please post NUMEROUS pics. Want to see.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #847
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Major power mods coming to my Interstate. Decided to "go for it" and Lew is adding more solar, lots of lithium batteries, new inverter/charger....and a raft of other goodies. Can't wait to go pick this baby back up. Killing time in the Keys until then. [emoji4][emoji267]

Who is Lew?

We are in Florida and would be interested in doing some electric upgrades as well

Thanks
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #848
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Who is Lew?

We are in Florida and would be interested in doing some electric upgrades as well

Thanks
Lew is THE Master of RV electrical generation, management and storage. An engineer, a craftsmen of materials and installation and just a really NICE guy. Lew has upgraded our I3500. Having the 'factory' electricals eliminated/replaced/upgraded/and cleaned up, we feel much safer. But the greatest benefit is having the confidence in your rig to have unlimited horizons to camp anywhere you want to. This country is large and has a lot of beautiful areas off the grid that Lew's upgrades open-up for we glampers. We go out with no restrictions or limitations. Give him a call, he is the MASTER!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #849
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Lew Farber is a member of this forum. His business, SolarTech Energy Systems, is in Naples during the winter.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #850
Contributing Member

I'm planning some changes

I spent yesterday at the RV show. Members of our unit spend time at our local dealer's display, talking to prospective customers as owners. We have a lot of good will between our unit and the dealer.

They had two '17 Interstates at the show: a basic lounge and a Tommy Bahama. I split my time between both coaches.

I would like to buy and install the additional overhead cabinet over the curb side second row seat. It would take some surgery on the gray plastic, but that should be doable with care. Extra storage, especially some easily accessed in front, is always welcome.

I have debated the usefulness of the window behind my galley. We usually end up not opening that shade and I'm afraid of splashing grease on it from the stove long term.

I'm seriously thinking of blanking out that window and insulating that area. I admired the wine rack in the Tommy Bahama and the additional depth behind the galley counter would allow me to build a similar rack. I built a 5-bottle rack in the top of the pantry in my Classic years ago and it was very useful for my wine-drinking wife.

I would also add a knife rack and a spice rack in the gained space. I made a fitted oak knife block for the Classic that was fitted exactly to our particular knife set. I hate to have sharp knives in drawers. I think the result will be a much more useful galley. Next step is to order some laminate from HD and some matching edge banding from my dealer.

Long term, I want to change to twin beds. I would have the great overhead storage that is missing in factory twin models. I changed the queen in the Classic to twins, years ago, and we prefer the twins. I have no need to walk out the rear doors, so I can leave the electrical panel and associated woodwork in place. The design is on paper (actually in computer CAD), and this will happen sometime in the future when we have some down time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170217_133535.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	280021  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #851
Contributing Member

Sorry

Sorry about the upside-down photo. The edit window times out before I could fix it.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #852
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Very generous of your unit... mentally I have to process that because it seems like volunteering on behalf of a high-profit business. We didn't see any such people there on Wednesday and my husband ended up being the talker, informally just because he is friendly and talks with anyone, anywhere. In general we were taken aback by the lack of knowledge of the salespeople, not wrt Airstream but in general. We figured they'd been acquired from staffing agencies for the show because they knew nothing about the rigs or the lifestyle.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #853
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Very generous of your unit... mentally I have to process that because it seems like volunteering on behalf of a high-profit business. In general we were taken aback by the lack of knowledge of the salespeople, not wrt Airstream but in general. We figured they'd been acquired from staffing agencies for the show because they knew nothing about the rigs or the lifestyle.
Our dealer is generous with door prizes, brings rigs many miles to show at our vintage rally, and supplies speakers for our rallies. In the past, they have had two techs at our vintage rally and did minor repairs for the cost of the materials.

All the salesmen that were on hand (Austin) when I was there was the usual sales crew plus a rep from Airstream. I found them all very able to answer prospects questions.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #854
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
I recently looked through the Tommy Bahama model and I liked the Galley area without the window and the built in storage for wine/liquor bottles and the rack for glasses just below it. I was not sure I would like the elimination of the window behind the galley as I was afraid it might result in a closed in feeling but I liked the galley area when I saw it and the result for me was the galley space was better without the window. I also liked the color of the ultra leather seats, and the cabinets along with the wood blinds were attractive. I did not like the floor as it has kind of a rough texture that seemed like it could easily trap dirt and be harder to clean than the flooring in our 214.5 AI. Overall though, I will be surprised if there is a large demand for the Tommy Bahama model based on the cost premium relative to the actual value added over the base models.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #855
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
I liked the galley area when I saw it and the result for me was the galley space was better without the window.
I had the same impression. Elimination of the (pretty much always shaded in our case) window made the galley area into a more complete unit. The things I can do with that extra space excite me.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #856
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
LOL - there again is a manifestation of the fact that each person has his or her own taste and emphatic opinions.

I *love* that galley window which is one of the few signature pieces that Airstream was able to take from their trailers and successfully incorporate into the Interstate. I find that they are straying into dangerously-generic design territory without it.

Additionally, it is the galley window that I use for blind spot checks when lighting and/or weather conditions steer me away from relying exclusively on our side camera system. There's often no substitute for direct eye contact with whatever is on my right side. Given the degree to which I navigate choked freeways in a metro area of 6.5 million people, having that window is extremely important to me.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #857
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Additionally, it is the galley window that I use for blind spot checks when lighting and/or weather conditions steer me away from relying exclusively on our side camera system. There's often no substitute for direct eye contact with whatever is on my right side. Given the degree to which I navigate choked freeways in a metro area of 6.5 million people, having that window is extremely important to me.
It depends on the year and model whether that window is useful.

The galley window in my IA is the middle window on the street side, behind the second row seats. There is no way to use it when driving; I can't even see it through the second row chair back. When standing erect at the galley counter, I am pretty much looking down through it at the service pedestal and sewer pipe. I find it pretty useless.

I do find the RS window right behind me useful and I open that blind while driving for that reason.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #858
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I hadn't thought much about the different layouts at first.
My galley window is also on the passenger side, and there are windows all along that side. I like The open feeling and also looking over the shoulder like IB. Although I live in a small town and avoid traffic as much as possible.
The bathroom is it behind the driver, but I can see out the drivers window and mirror, even look out the window if I need too.

So I wouldn't want to give up the window myself. Heck, I'd like even more windows! I wish the bathroom would slide down into itself when not in use, allowing another window and perhaps more space wirh bathroom not in use.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #859
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Again, it's so user-specific. 'Live in a small town and don't drive in traffic' couldn't be farther from our typical experience. We had a family function on the other side of town last night - Saturday night, bad time to be in the big city with an Interstate because there are so many drunk and reckless and sometimes downright violent b@stards on the roads. If it hadn't been for family, there's no way we would have ventured out. We had the Interstate here and my car was in the storage locker. My husband was under the weather and so taking his car was out of the question (I don't like driving it). So, Interstate it was.

Coming back across town after dark, I was literally making split-second lane changes because I was left with no choice under those conditions. You'd barely believe a Sprinter could even move that fast. If not for the galley window, I simply wouldn't have been able to do about 50% of what I did. My feverish husband, who had been trying to rest in the back during this harrowing ordeal, stepped out in our driveway and said, "It was only 31 miles, but it sure wasn't restful."
Old 02-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #860
Contributing Member

Actually, I find that the windows are too high to be much use in traffic. The sills are above the roof level of too many of the vehicles on the road.

Fortunately, my 2014.5 has blind spot detection that works quite well. It displays in the mirrors and gripes at me if I turn on the blinkers with someone in the blind spot.
WBCCI #9632