Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #741
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc168 View Post
One of the first things I did for my 2016 AI was getting window film for the front windshield and front door windows. I had the 3M "Crystalline" film applied.
I too have the 3M Crystalline on the windshield and front doors. Mine is the lightest they make ... I think it's 90% transmittance. Blocks a ton of heat and glare but almost none of my vision. I hate looking out through window tint, even the factory stuff on the rear windows of my pickup and my wife's SUV bugs me. I don't even notice the 90% tint on the RV. Well worth it just for the heat control, I also find that I don't need to put on my sunglasses on overcast days like I normally would. I'm pretty sure that the factory windshield glass by law already blocks almost all the damaging light (for skin concerns and interior degradation) while the side windows may not (rules on side window glass are different).
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #742
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Front glass is safety glass with a polymer layer in the middle which blocks most UVA energy.

Side windows are just tempered glass and provide less protection.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #743
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
This is great to know, thanks very much. This is one of the first things I'll attend to after delivery.
It's on our list, too, but other projects have taken higher priority. We put Dynamat in the cab ceiling after realizing that there was no insulation up there (and we put a radiant barrier over the Dynamat). It resulted in a significant improvement in the heat gain issue.

We also realized a big improvement in noise after we did custom carpet in the cab. But the T1N Sprinter had nothing substantial there to start with, so that wasn't a surprise. NCV3 Interstates begin their lives better off in that regard, as there is additional flooring installed.

Doors are next, whenever we can get to them.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #744
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I am getting a Vortex fan installed to replace the original. Does anyone have experience with that brand?
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #745
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
I am getting a Vortex fan installed to replace the original. Does anyone have experience with that brand?

The only Vortex fans I could find were not the type to use for RV ventilation. Do you have a link or photo of this fan? What was the original? I think the MaxxAir fan used on the newer Interstates is probably the best RV vent fan on the market.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #746
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
I'll find out soon--van goes in on Monday.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #747
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The only Vortex fans I could find were not the type to use for RV ventilation. Do you have a link or photo of this fan? What was the original? I think the MaxxAir fan used on the newer Interstates is probably the best RV vent fan on the market.
The reversible MaxxFan is better, but the exhaust-only model on the Interstates is still pretty good, and extremely weather-resistant. Never had it leak even in a howling thunderstorm— closed or open— though once it did leak when I forgot to close it at the Blue Beacon Truck Wash. The guys spraying the roof sprayed water directly into the MaxxFan vent hood.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #748
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Tonight's project was the installation of a remote fill hose for the spare tire. I used a braided stainless steel hose from Wheel Masters Part No. 82286-S. Drilled a hole and mounted the check/fill valve in the propane service panel. I slit an old piece of water hose and used it as chaffing protection to keep the SS hose from rubbing on the propane lines. I also braced the valve stem with a piece of plastic zip tied through the wheel to keep the hose from pulling on it the valve stem continuously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LP plate mounting.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	268325   Click image for larger version

Name:	line routing.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	268326  

Name:	chafing protection.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	268327   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve stem brace.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	268328  

Name:	air line box.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	268329  
Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #749
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Tonight's project was the installation of a remote fill hose for the spare tire. I used a braided stainless steel hose from Wheel Masters Part No. 82286-S. Drilled a hole and mounted the check/fill valve in the propane service panel. I slit an old piece of water hose and used it as chaffing protection to keep the SS hose from rubbing on the propane lines. I also braced the valve stem with a piece of plastic zip tied through the wheel to keep the hose from pulling on it the valve stem continuously.
I ran mine to the rear bumper instead, using a 3-foot braided steel hose:
https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Masters...+extender+hose
Old 08-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #750
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
I found out that it's attached to the original fan and will sit about an inch below the fan. It makes it into high power fan.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #751
mdf
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Belvedere , California
Mods on our 2016 AI 4x4:

1) Upgraded coach batteries to (4) 6v in underfloor storage box (shown on separate thread)
2) Added 2nd GP-100 flex panel on roof
3) Added center console sourced from Amazon that matches perfectly, adds 2 cupholders and storage
4) Added Fiamma Bike rack to PS rear door - doors open normally with bikes loaded.
5) Upgraded front stereo speakers from OEM to Focal components
6) Added powered subwoofer in storage space behind Television
7) Upgraded HDMI switcher to accommodate 4 inputs and 4 outputs
8) Added 4 2-channel wireless headphones - works with HDMI switcher so different tv's can listen to different things. Happy kids!
9) Added TST TPMS system
10) Installed extra hooks in wet bath, sourced at Container Store -- they suction on and actually work.

Still to come:
1) Install spring assist kit from SprinterStore (should raise rear about 1")
2) Upgrade to 2000 Watt inverter / charger
3) Upgrade solar controller
mdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #752
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Mods on our 2016 AI 4x4:

5) Upgraded front stereo speakers from OEM to Focal components
6) Added powered subwoofer in storage space behind Television
Would you please provide some details on your audio upgrade ? Thanks.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #753
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Also would like brand of 4x4 HDMI switch. Did you use the monoprice? What are your other 2 outputs? I'm running HDMI IN to my kenwood head unit so the van speakers can be used for TV audio, a glaring oversight in the original build I feel. Had to defeat the parking brake exclusion on the HDMI source in the kenwood which is an easy toggle switch to ground.

Mine is a 2016 and came with a powered subwoofer below the PS lounge seat, works great! More than I need. My problem is rattle from the Kenwood speakers mounted in the rear, with the subwoofer these really should have crossovers to limit the attempted bass response.. Now that I replaced all of my front speakers I'm seeing the limitations of the rear.. Has anyone addressed these rear speakers? Is this a job for dynamat. The rattle seems to be from the enclosure and not the speaker..

I have also solved the issue of transient internet connectivity for the dish receiver needed for on demand movies when cell streaming quality is not good enough for Amazon Fire. Small $10 wireless access point, uses USB power from satellite receiver so only powered when potentially needed, tethers to phone.
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #754
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
mdf-
Quote:
Added center console sourced from Amazon that matches perfectly, adds 2 cupholders and storage
Can you provide a bit more detail on this. Looked and didn't see anything on the Amazon site.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #755
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Yes matching console info please!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #756
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Wheelskin added to cover plastic steering wheel. Fisher C-box cupholder added to floor in front of passenger rear lounge.

Side note: these are my first pictures with my smart phone, finally gave up my flip phone last week. I'm enjoying the technology and Siri is my new best friend, but why is my steering wheel picture coming in upside down? Its right side up on my phone and on my computer screen, until I upload it to this site, then its upside down. I also opened it with paint, flipped it 180 degrees and saved it. When I upload that to this site, it too is upside down. I'm scratching my head but can't make sense of this. iPhone 6s if that matters.

Edit: stranger and stranger, the wheel pic is upside down until you click it to look closer then it's right side up. What gives?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cup holder closed.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	268636   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder open.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	268637  

Name:	wheelskin in bus.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	268639  
Old 08-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #757
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
And from what I've seen before, this only happens w/ Apple stuff.

Long live PCs and Android.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #758
mdf
2 Rivet Member

Belvedere , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Yes matching console info please!

Wolf 38001405 Vinyl Gray PU Full-Size Floor Console
by Wolf
Link: https://amzn.com/B001P2G81C

I Installed this by using simple stick on velcro that sticks directly to the carpeted one piece floor mat. It worked very well all summer.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:04 AM   #759
mdf
2 Rivet Member

Belvedere , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
Also would like brand of 4x4 HDMI switch. Did you use the monoprice? What are your other 2 outputs?
I went with the 4x4 Monoprice switch. It works well. My other two outputs are the two separate channels that my sounstream headphone system uses. This way, I can have 2 kids watching the front tv listening to channel a, and 2 kids watching the rear tv watching channel b.
http://soundstream.com/product/vhp-9002/

And to think that when I drove to the Grand Canyon in a circa 1975 Winnebago Brave, we had those slide the plastic slider bingo games.... and our imaginations.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #760
mdf
2 Rivet Member

Belvedere , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Would you please provide some details on your audio upgrade ? Thanks.
Subwoofer is the Memphis Audio SA110sp 10" powered "undersea" subwoofer. It's very compact, but yet uses a 10" driver. Sounds great, I had them install a gain switch so I can adjust on the fly.
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...ges/15sa110sp/

Speakers are Focal, not sure the model. I think that any reputable 6.5" decent speaker will be a big upgrade from the "work truck standard" the MB puts in these things....