Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #393
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBurns View Post
Hey, I'd love to know where I can get cover for my two burner stove. Mine didn't come with one and I don't see ready made add ons. May have to make one. I wanted a cover for the sink but I use a hospital plastic tub (smaller than I can find anywhere and fits inside the sink and saves water) and inside that I store my dish drainer and other loose kitchen items when we are driving so don't think the sink cover would be useful. But would like the stove top cover.

Also,'I agree about the storage. When packed it's stuffed. Wouldn't help to have the space collapse.
The SMEV two-burner stove in my 2012 has built-in hinges for a glass cover. Yours probably doesn't, so a cover from an existing model wouldn't work as there's no way to fasten it.

One possible fix in your case, get a bamboo cutting board that's large enough to go over the whole cooktop with a few inches to spare all around, and then use Velcro around the edges to stick it down. Loops on the board and hooks on the countertop— that way when you detach the cutting board the board isn't resting on the hooks, and it's more comfortable to use as a lap desk or serving tray when necessary. The Velcro around the cooktop will make cleanup slightly more difficult, but having a cutting board that you can stick down increases your countertop space even better than the glass top we have.

Now that I've suggested that, I may do something similar with mine, so the cutting board sticks down over the hinged cover while in transit. Seems better than taking up cabinet space for my cutting board. Yeah… I like that idea.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Amazon.com: Instant Counter Glass Burner Cover Black Marble (look) Cutting Board: Flat Top Stove Cover: Kitchen & Dining

We bought one of these our first year with the Interstate (now 7), and it has been perfect.

Adds a bit of extra counter space and is more visually appealing than naked burners.

It is heavy enough, and with the rubber feet, that it stays in place while driving. Maybe not the safest thing to do, but we always have , and it has never come off.

The one we have is exactly like this one, and goes well with our interior, although they come in other colors.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #395

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Amazon.com: Instant Counter Glass Burner Cover Black Marble (look) Cutting Board: Flat Top Stove Cover: Kitchen & Dining

We bought one of these our first year with the Interstate (now 7), and it has been perfect.

Adds a bit of extra counter space and is more visually appealing than naked burners.

It is heavy enough, and with the rubber feet, that it stays in place while driving. Maybe not the safest thing to do, but we always have , and it has never come off.

The one we have is exactly like this one, and goes well with our interior, although they come in other colors.

Maggie
Very nice! Here's the one I was thinking of…

Also available at Amazon…
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Large-S...5D0DPEM2J6REBF
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #396
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Oooo, I like that!

Doesn't look like it has feet, tho. I like the wood on yours, but adding something to keep it from slipping might be a task. Or, you could take it off while driving.

I have found the rug gripper tape to work pretty well for lots of things, and that might work for this type of thing. I carry it all the time.

One side is very sticky, to adhere to the floor, the other side less so, to stick to the rug.

Mainstays Rug Gripper Tape, Natural: Other Home : Walmart.com

Could probably cut a narrow strip and adhere to each edge. I'll bet it would work.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #397

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Doesn't look like it has feet, tho. I like the wood on yours, but adding something to keep it from slipping might be a task.

I have found the rug gripper tape to work pretty well, and that might work for this type of thing. I carry it all the time,
I originally thought of using Velcro, but on second throught I might go with Command Adhesive rug anchors. Less likely to trap grease than the Velcro loops…

Given the poor state of Louisiana roads, I'm less concerned about the cutting board slipping, and more concerned about it bouncing. So something that sticks it down would be best for me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #398
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Agreed.

They will still get a bit grungy, but you can replace them when they become too unsanitary.

The nice thing about something that sticks to the burner cover, or whatever, is that it comes off when the burner cover does, and there is nothing left on the cook surface to gather dirt.

I have a cherry cutting board, that I use solely for a work surface, that a nice Amish woodworker measured out and made for me, that I keep on the counter all the time.

With that, I have the rug gripper tape on the counter, itself, which keeps the cutting board in place. I like to be able to flip the board over, to use both sides.

Maggie
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'd worry a little bit about the cutting board becoming a projectile in an accident. Ouch.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #400

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I'd worry a little bit about the cutting board becoming a projectile in an accident. Ouch.
Thre are so many other things that could become projectiles in an accident (think the cabinet doors would stay closed? I don't) that one more won't matter much.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I know.

Living a bit dangerously.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #402
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Davis , California
To all who answered and gave me amazon links; many thanks! I like the bamboo and will buy one. Helps to know it fits over the RV unit. I actually have the same sort of thing in my home kitchen. It covers a small built in grill beside my induction cooktop making the grill covered by the board a nice workspace and when the grill is in place the board slides over the cooktop. I has this one made and figures is have to do the same for the RV. I Hope I can lean it against the back window when I use the burners. My galley is in the back and may be a bit tighter than those in the front. I will probably put Velcro on the back edges only to hold it on while traveling. I agree there are so many possible projectiles, I can't worry about them all. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #403
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I took a file and sanding block and did a small bevel on the edges and corners of the cabinet doors. Not so sharp now and haven't needed a bandaid for a while.

Flipped the wardrobe door over so it opens from the front instead of from the rear. Much more accessable now.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I took a file and sanding block and did a small bevel on the edges and corners of the cabinet doors. Not so sharp now and haven't needed a bandaid for a while.

Flipped the wardrobe door over so it opens from the front instead of from the rear. Much more accessable now.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #405
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Nice work:

I took a black sharpie to seam edges of our cabinets since it is onyx color to hide the exposed joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #406

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Hope someone from Jackson Center follows the AirForums and reads this. My poor bald head has a couple of permanent dents and scars from pumping into sharp corners of the overhead cabinet doors that protrude into the aisle when open.

I haven't bothered to sand down the corners and edges, though; I learned by Pavlovian negative reinforcement to never leave an overhead cabinet door open when it is not in my direct line-of-sight— always open the door while you're looking at it, and close it again before looking away. But it was a VERY painful and bloody lesson to learn!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4