Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see your pictures.

Setting up the privacy room, sounded .... Difficult.
But please, let's see how it looks. I'm wondering how you had a bungee cords long enough. Lucky you're an engineer. I would not have been able to do so many 'work arounds'.
It really was difficult. And frustrating. But then again, the first time is always the hardest. It will get easier with practice. As for the bungee cords, two 4-foot cords linked together equals one 8-foot cord, so I just linked together enough short cords to get the length I needed.

I haven't actually finished all of my work-arounds yet, just enough of them to get it set up the first time. I know what else I need to do to get a setup that I'm really happy with, but I'm taking my time with it.

And honestly, though I give credit to my engineering background for figuring out the jury-rigs I used, it's actually more just mule-headed stubbornness than anything else, that helped the most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0074 resized.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	163110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0075 resized.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	163111  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0077 Resized.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	163112  

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Your set-up really does look very good. Honestly. It looks 'professional'. I like it.
From your description I was fearing something that looked like dog-patch with duck tape and string, rather 'twine'. Very nice.
The park looks pretty nice too, not too crowded.
One thing I excel at is stubborn. Stubborn gets more people to more places than just about anything else. What's that quote? 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration or for me that means stubbornness.
Anyway,
Thanks for sharing it looks great.
Plg

Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Congrats on not having to resort to duct tape.

Looks good the way you have it set up in the pics.

On the "Thread subject", I put a micro toggle switch on each rear speaker since the MB radio doesn't have a fader option.

Considering mounting one or two small fans in the rear for these extremely hot days as even running the rear air on the gen doesn't keep it cool and when it fails as it did on our recent trip, well it gets hot and a little uncomfortable. At least the fans could help move some of the cool air from the front to the rear.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
How about a Bathtub?

I subscribe to Grist.org and they link to Treehuggers

There was the most amazing story about this lady living in a tiny apt.

It is what she had done to make her small space workable. Two items caught my attention, #1) a bathtub on rollers concealed in beautiful wood, under her L.R. Table and #2) her use of the dresser sections, also on rollers, that could have doubled/ did double as counter space.

If I worked for Airstream, I'd take a close look at these ideas. Nothing like an item having multiple uses as in dresser and/or kitchen counter.

Amazing tiny apartment has a bathtub under the dining table | Grist

I wish I could figure how how to post pictures of her bathtub and her dressers.

I read a post here on airstream forums and they said, look to the left of the 'submit post' for a little indicator button on how to upload pictures. I don't see it, & I don't get it.

If I go to additional options to manage attachments, they want a URL. If I give them the Amazing tiny apartment has a bathtub under the dining table | Grist -- I get an invalid message and I don't know where to get an URL for the 'save images' that are on my iPad.

Perhaps you'll go to the above website.
Perhaps you'll like the bathtub in the living room pictures at the above website.
Perhaps you'll fine the modular dresser used as a counter inspirational.
Plg
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It is what she had done to make her small space workable. Two items caught my attention, #1) a bathtub on rollers concealed in beautiful wood, under her L.R. Table and #2) her use of the dresser sections, also on rollers, that could have doubled/ did double as counter space.

If I worked for Airstream, I'd take a close look at these ideas. Nothing like an item having multiple uses as in dresser and/or kitchen counter.
The very concept upon which Ikea was founded.

Space allocation in an Interstate is already engineered to a fare-thee-well. There is no waste space whatsoever where you could tuck away furniture and pull it out, hey presto, when you need it. There is one pull-out in my Interstate, a countertop extension. Above the dorm-sized refrigerator is a shallow drawer, and in between the refrigerator and the drawer is the pull-out. It pulls out the end of the galley cabinet right behind the driver's seat. When I turn the driver's seat 180 to face the pull-out, said pull-out makes an ideal laptop computer desk.

There is one spot in my Interstate, between the bathroom on the passenger side and the wardrobe closet on the driver's side, where the aisle is only 19 inches wide. I'm wider than 19 inches at the shoulders, so I have to twist sideways a little bit just to move from the galley area to the lounge area. The bathroom is so narrow that although I can shower in the space without trouble, I have to open the bathroom door to get enough elbow room to towel off afterwards. That's NOT a compliant; it's jus an example of how tightly-designed the Interstate interior actually is.

Your examples are ingenious, but trust me when I say that Airstream designers are already doing the best that ANYBODY could do to shoehorn in as many amenities as they do in such a small space.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Your examples are ingenious, but trust me when I say that Airstream designers are already doing the best that ANYBODY could do to shoehorn in as many amenities as they do in such a small space.
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. The Airstream "designers" (and the rest of the RV industry) have been spectacularly UN-imaginative at introducing new ideas into the design of RV interiors. There hasn't been a real innovation since the introduction of the pop-out. It is true that they do a pretty optimal job of parsing out the available space, but that only scratches the surface of what a little cleverness could accomplish (as the great video in Mockinbrd's post illustrates). The basic problem is that, with few exceptions, they rigidly allocate a given volume of space to a single function, where they could and should be making it possible to use the same volume for multiple purposes.

Obvious examples:
--We spend maybe 5% of our time cooking, yet the space allocated to the galley is taken up 100% of the time. Why doesn't the whole kitchen fold away at the press of a button the way that beds already do.

--The bathroom/shower space in a B-van is hugely extravagant but necessary. So, it is made tiny to the point of being barely usable. Why doesn't it double in size when used as a shower--sliding out into the aisle for a short period? (this has been tried once or twice, but never well or cleverly).

--Hanging closets/wardrobes are great but voluminous. Why don't they slide inward when the door is closed--squeezing the extra air out of the loosely-hanging clothing? Then maybe we wouldn't have to squeeze sideways to get our shoulders past.

These are just the first things that popped into my head. The list of untapped possibilities is endless. Yes, I know that every once in awhile some vendor tries some kind of new gimmick. But rarely well and never in an integrated way--it is always individual stunts. If you want to get an idea of what is actually possible, take a look at one of those "Transformer" toys. If only half the cleverness that goes into those were applied to the inside of a Sprinter, we would be miles ahead of where we are today.

I love my Interstate, and Airstream is probably the best vendor in the industry, but if that sounds like damning with faint praise, then so be it. No offense intended to any poster, but pretending that the Airstream designers are some kind of paragon of creativity is IMO a joke.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The Westfalia that AS imported for a few years had some similar space saying features. It was designed and assembled in Germany and shipped here. Jim
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. The Airstream "designers" (and the rest of the RV industry) have been spectacularly UN-imaginative at introducing new ideas into the design of RV interiors. There hasn't been a real innovation since the introduction of the pop-out. It is true that they do a pretty optimal job of parsing out the available space, but that only scratches the surface of what a little cleverness could accomplish (as the great video in Mockinbrd's post illustrates). The basic problem is that, with few exceptions, they rigidly allocate a given volume of space to a single function, where they could and should be making it possible to use the same volume for multiple purposes.
I'm glad you think of these ideas, but if you can't take the ideas to their logical conclusion and actually invent them, please don't complain because no one else has invented them, either.

Part of the problem is that much of the space allocation is for storage. As soon as you store something in a cabinet or locker, it's not waste space anymore, and it's hard to use that storage volume for any other purpose unless you want to unpack all your stored goods and set them outside under the awning in the meantime.

In reality, the only volume available for creating multi-use space is space that NOT already used for something else. There's not much of that in an Interstate.

Quote:
Obvious examples:
--We spend maybe 5% of our time cooking, yet the space allocated to the galley is taken up 100% of the time. Why doesn't the whole kitchen fold away at the press of a button the way that beds already do.
Let's take the example of a corrugated cardboard box. You can fold a cardboard box flat when it's empty. Doesn't fold flat when it's full. I don't have an empty drawer, cabinet, or locker in my Interstate. And there's no way I can imagine to make the refrigerator or microwave, the two bulkiest items in the galley, fold away at the touch of a button. I buy my food several days' worth at a time, and I use cookware and dishes that have to be stored when not in use. None of MY galley space is wasted, as it's always in use for storage whether I'm cooking or not.

I fold down the lids of the sink and stove to gain extra counter space when I use my countertop for something other than meal prep. It's my all-purpose workbench. Far from being single-use, my galley countertop is more multi-purpose than any other space in my Interstate.

Quote:
--The bathroom/shower space in a B-van is hugely extravagant but necessary. So, it is made tiny to the point of being barely usable. Why doesn't it double in size when used as a shower--sliding out into the aisle for a short period? (this has been tried once or twice, but never well or cleverly).
Roadtrek uses the "expand into the aisle" concept. As you said, it's been done, but not well. Not sure it CAN be done well. Unfortunately, the aisle itself is also necessary but wasteful space, so it's made as narrow as possible to allow those few extra inches for the bathroom. Let's face it; we spend less total time in the aisle than we do in the galley OR the bathroom.

Quote:
--Hanging closets/wardrobes are great but voluminous. Why don't they slide inward when the door is closed--squeezing the extra air out of the loosely-hanging clothing? Then maybe we wouldn't have to squeeze sideways to get our shoulders past.
Mine's not voluminous. I could use more closet space. But then again I store more than just clothes in mine. It's also the most convenient place to store my Fiamma Privacy Room so it's not in the aisle to get stepped on.

However, this idea of your is actually EASY to accomplish, using off-the-shelf products. They already make portable closets made of fabric (Mainstays and Rubbermaid both make several models). All you would need is a place to set it up. Build an Interstate with the lounge/wardrobe setup, but omit the wardrobe closet, and put one of these portable closets in its place instead. Or take out the seat by the sliding side door, and put one of these portable closets in its place.

Quote:
These are just the first things that popped into my head. The list of untapped possibilities is endless. Yes, I know that every once in awhile some vendor tries some kind of new gimmick. But rarely well and never in an integrated way--it is always individual stunts. If you want to get an idea of what is actually possible, take a look at one of those "Transformer" toys. If only half the cleverness that goes into those were applied to the inside of a Sprinter, we would be miles ahead of where we are today.
Yes, the list of untapped possibilities IS endless. We just disagree about some of the items might be on that list.

Transformer toys might not be good examples of what can be done. They work only because they don't have to REALLY work. A transformer robot doesn't have to really walk, and it doesn't have to turn into a car you can really drive.

Quote:
I love my Interstate, and Airstream is probably the best vendor in the industry, but if that sounds like damning with faint praise, then so be it. No offense intended to any poster, but pretending that the Airstream designers are some kind of paragon of creativity is IMO a joke.
I love my Interstate, too. Not enough to marry it, though!

Airstream designers are not paragons of creativity. For the trailers, the 2013 trailers still have design features that Wally Byam his own self designed, even when there are better and higher-tech ways to do the same thing today. Fortunately, Interstates have only been around since 2004, decades after Wally died, and we're not stuck so much with hidebound traditionalism.

As an engineer, I understand the effort that goes into designing something as complex as an RV. I also understand the compromises that have to be made between the desire for more amenities and the desire for more space. But one thing I learned early in my career; you NEVER finish a design— you just reach a good stopping point. No matter how much effort is put into a design, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

And I don't take any offense even if you do mistake the level of my appreciation for Airstream designers, just as I hope you don't take offense at my skepticism about some of your design concepts. Even if I don't think they'll all work, I'm still impressed that you thought of them. If we all agreed all the time, there would never be any progress.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
One item, many purposes --

I was thinking of a couple of modest adaptations that would create huge
benefits.
1) on the one side of galley have they have a wardrobe unit.
Why not have the lower drawers, as a UNIT, of the wardrobe on lockable rollers?
It is and will always be a wardrobe dresser with drawers but by simply
adding To that part of the wardrobe the following:
1) a permanent counter top on top of the lower drawers and
2) the unit on lockable rollers
You'd have for food prep only, a large useable counter you could opt to use or not.

You wouldn't mess with anything IN the dresser drawers, just use that area for TWO purpose 1) storage as part of the wardrobe and 2) counter space while cooking.

I hope I'm not seen as critical of the Airstream Interstate, it's beautiful as it is.
I'm just taken with that concept of multi purposes for one item.

The lounge in the back of the Interstate becomes the bed. One item two uses.

I just like the concept and think it should be expanded and used more. That's all.

Besides how else will I ever figure out how to get my bathtub in an Interstate van? I bet no one at Airstream is awake all night wrestling with that problem!

This forum has lots of good thinkers, just like the lady with the tiny apartment.

I think Airstream would benefit from setting up a system where customers could make suggestions to the corporation. I think it would benefit them in the long run. I think many have found that a diverse group with diverse ideas have enhanced rather than detracted from the product. (Steve Jobs would have argued this point but not all corps. had a Steve Jobs as a CEO.)

Besides, all the company would be doing is committing to reading the publics ideas. Certainly, That's not too restrictive for them.

And one more point, I have a sneaking suspicion that the design engineers at Airstream are not women. So, that's all on that point.

Plg
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #24

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I was thinking of a couple of modest adaptations that would create huge
benefits.
1) on the one side of galley have they have a wardrobe unit.
Why not have the lower drawers, as a UNIT, of the wardrobe on lockable rollers?
It is and will always be a wardrobe dresser with drawers but by simply
adding To that part of the wardrobe the following:
1) a permanent counter top on top of the lower drawers and
2) the unit on lockable rollers
You'd have for food prep only, a large useable counter you could opt to use or not.

You wouldn't mess with anything IN the dresser drawers, just use that area for TWO purpose 1) storage as part of the wardrobe and 2) counter space while cooking.
Could work. All you'd have to do is build the drawer unit small enough to (1) roll through the aisle to where you want it; (2) fit inside the wardrobe closet, whichever is smaller. Oh, and use fold-down handles to grab it by to roll it around. If there's room, a drop-leaf on the roll-around could expand your workspace even farther.

Then, you'd have to cut out the wardrobe closet door sill. I suspect it serves a purpose as a stiffener, so you might have to add a couple brackets on the walls of the closet to fasten it better to the floor.

If you try this, let us know how it works, and post pictures.

In the meantime, I just set up the cocktail-table-sized dining table in the front position when I need extra workspace for meal prep, even though it makes it more difficult to get things out of the fridge. Hmmm. Maybe I'll reverse the swing on the fridge door by moving the hinges to the other side. That could help with accessing the fridge while the table is set up in front.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
They really need to incorporate some cup-holders for the second row.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
They really need to incorporate some cup-holders for the second row.
In the later model years, cup holders for the front row that will actually hold cups would be nice, too, but that's a Mercedes thing, not an Airstream thing.

For the second row, why not go a step farther? Airline tray tables attached to the back of the front seats, with built-in cup holders.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

In the later model years, cup holders for the front row that will actually hold cups would be nice, too, but that's a Mercedes thing, not an Airstream thing.

For the second row, why not go a step farther? Airline tray tables attached to the back of the front seats, with built-in cup holders.
You are just too clever and imaginative. . What great ideas you have!

Airstream should hire you, seriously, as a consultant for new and improved class B motor homes.

For us, though, who needs a second row?

Maggie
Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
I like the cup holder idea

I was thinking more simply.

Protagonist said:
"Could work. All you'd have to do is build the drawer unit small enough to
(1) roll through the aisle to where you want it; (2) fit inside the wardrobe closet, whichever is smaller. Oh, and use fold-down handles to grab it by to roll it around. If there's room, a drop-leaf on the roll-around could expand your workspace even farther."

I didn't envision it "rolling down the aisle" --- I just envision it rolling out of the closet, locking in place, it having a counter board on top and being used for food prep. Clean it off good, (especially if you used the food prep area for dicing/
Slicing onions) LOL --- then rolling back into the closet. No need to roll it down and around any aisle. or maybe your idea would work, that's just not what I was thinking.

But again, these are just ideas that are fun to kick around after we admit that Airstream is the best - or close to it. Improvements to even "the best" is allowed, isn't it?

I like the cup holder idea, also.

Plg