Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #361
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks, I'll do that.
Mockinbrd
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I wouldn't mind having one of those, but for one problem— headroom. I barely have any clearance over my poor bald noggin in the shower as it is, and don't want to lose the little I have by standing on a platform.
We might see if we can still get one of these teak mats. Husband also worried about head clearance. How tall are you?
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #363
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Latest addition

Attachment 178798

Teak shower floor mat
Teamaron....just sent you pm. Can you still get these teak mats? We might want one. I assume the size and shape is universal for recent years..? Ours is a 2013 or 2014, depends who you ask. Long story. Don't ask.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #364
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Teamaron....just sent you pm. Can you still get these teak mats? We might want one. I assume the size and shape is universal for recent years..? Ours is a 2013 or 2014, depends who you ask. Long story. Don't ask.

Unfortunately No

Sorry

But I'd love to hear the long story?
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Darn!! And, I told you not to ask!!! Will pm you.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #366
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
We might see if we can still get one of these teak mats. Husband also worried about head clearance. How tall are you?

Do a search for teak shower mats and you'll find some pics I posted on a far better teak mat. Better and cheaper. Made by teakworks4u.com.

Good luck,
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #367
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Do a search for teak shower mats and you'll find some pics I posted on a far better teak mat. Better and cheaper. Made by teakworks4u.com.

Good luck,
Bill
Thanks Bill. Found it.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #368
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Mod Updates

I just wanted to share a few more mods pics:

1. Added draining flooring to shower because wife hates to put feet on wet flooring. See Swiss Trac. I cut to fit, lightweight and I do not like teak wood weight.

2. Added extra clothing rod behind driver's seat that is basically more useful than cabinet with rod. It hold lots of weight and is easily found at Amazon.

3. Added bidet and mini water heater to toilet to cut back on RV paper in black tank and repositioned fire spray to upright.

I really had fun installing these items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2022.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	210535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2021.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	210536  

Name:	IMG_2025.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	210537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2024.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	210538  

eliasurbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #369
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Also added some electronics:

1. Autonet Wi Fi
2. Mac Mini
3. Antenna and signal booster
3. Switch from Mac to TV/DVD
4. Dish Box
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2027.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	210539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2028.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	210540  

eliasurbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #370
2011 Airstream Interstate

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
Hi, everyone, I did it, I bought a 2011 airstream with 7k miles. We are really excited. I have looked around for a thread about good quality covers when it can't be in the shop or garage. I haven't found one. If you guys would be so kind as to point out the thread, i would appreciate it.

If there isn't one, do any of you have a cover you would recommend? Thanks again for the advice and help on buying our first airstream interstate.
raddocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #371
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddocc View Post
If there isn't one, do any of you have a cover you would recommend? Thanks again for the advice and help on buying our first airstream interstate.
I would recommend none at all. Car covers in general, even custom-fit covers, tend to flap in the breeze and chafe your paint, trap moisture and promote mold and mildew, and are a right royal pain to install and remove on a vehicle that's nearly 10 feet tall.

Cover only your big greenhouse windshield and front windows, leave the roof vents open for ventilation, and call it good enough. That's what I'd recommend.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #372
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I agree with Protagonist. The automotive paint on these vans stand up well to constant outdoor exposure. A cover would likely damage the paint.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #373
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I can't begin to imagine how hard it would be to even put a cover on one of these beasts.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #374
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
US , US
If you are looking for replacement side glass for your AI or Sprinter read on as part of this mod.

Thought I would share some experience and provide a solution\resource.

My 2005 Airstream Interstate was burglarized while in a storage garage.

What happened was the burglars pried a small portion of my T-Vent window off on my sliding door to then force entry. Of course people told me afterwards that T-Vent windows in vans etc have been known for decades to be exploited. So despite liking the idea of having a vented window on the passenger side for cross air flow circulation I decided on a solid window replacement.

The window Airstream originally installed was by Creation Windows. Who is out of business. ParKin Accessories at one time had a few of the old Creation Windows but not anymore. However, ParKin does still have options for people yet today. parkin-acc.com I am sure they are nice folks but they are very expensive. A solid window from them for my AI was going to be $441 plus $40 shipping. After a couple phone calls to them regarding the color of the glass (because they said gray while I would describe mine as black, and I was worried about matching) I also got it out of them that ParKin was just a middleman. The window would come from C.R. Laurence. So I figured I could find it cheaper.

And I did using Amazon, and finding Showerdoordirect. They also have glass for the newer Sprinter years as well. Once you find one piece of glass on Amazon from them then you can find others. So if you want start with “FW605 sprinter” and it should get you very close.

So it cost me $185.00 plus $5.25 shipping. Same exact part FW605. The one I got from Amazon was actually described very poorly (6”x6”x6”) as also pointed out by Amazon reviewers but they said it fit and now I am saying it as well. And for the $5 shipping it arrived with no damage. This did not come with a seal/gasket not to be confused with a seal/sealant/compound. But also as indicated by a reviewer on Amazon the local glass place was able to get the seal/gasket and they also had a seal/sealant/compound. And now I am saying that as well. The seal/gasket kit cost $20. I had a professional glass guy swap in the window. And ultimately the color matches – just as dark as my other windows. I am very pleased with the part.

I am not sure how this link will work, but if you need glass for your Sprinter or AI do check out Showerdoordirect on Amazon. I know if I need any more I will be going back to them.

Showerdoordirect @ Amazon.com: sprinter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	211255   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	211256  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	211257  
"There's only one finish line and I'm in no hurry." - Teamaron 8-28-2012, 07:36 PM
rustrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #375
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
US , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1996 View Post
I'm wanting to upgrade the suspension on the Interstate. Does anyone have experience with the shocks or air bags.
I have been reading this thread all day and I never saw anything on this question. I myself have no direct experience as perhaps is the basis of this question. But I did come across this group which seems to know about many things sprinter, suspension being one of them. sprinterstore.com/sprinter_suspension.htm Maybe by now someone else does have some kind of direct experience.
"There's only one finish line and I'm in no hurry." - Teamaron 8-28-2012, 07:36 PM
rustrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #376
2011 Airstream Interstate

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
Has anyone installed a FLIR infrared system, to help with deer? Is it worth it?
raddocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #377

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddocc View Post
Has anyone installed a FLIR infrared system, to help with deer? Is it worth it?
I've looked up the specifications on the Pathfinder FLIR. Based on what I've read, I don't think it would be very helpful for avoiding deer. You probably wouldn't get any more warning than your headlights would give you. And of course it gives you no warning at all unless you're looking at the screen at just the right time and can make out what it's showing you in its 324×256 pixel resolution.

I would think a bumper-mounted deer whistle to scare the critters into moving off the road would be more effective at a lower cost. But a deer whistle lacks the "wow, cool" factor of a high-tech toy.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Any provable evidence that the deer whistles work?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #379

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Any provable evidence that the deer whistles work?
Reports vary on that score. Some folks swear by them. Some folks swear at them instead.

I've never used one, but I've also never hit a deer. My dad never used one, but did hit a deer. Once. I don't personally know of anybody who has been in a second deer/vehicle collision whether they used a deer whistle or not. I'm sure there are some drivers who are deer magnets, but I don't know any.

So maybe it would be better just to go ahead and hit a deer and get it over with, because the chances of it happening again are vanishingly small.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #380
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Think I'll check w/ my body shop mgr the next time I see him. I've always been a little skeptical of them.