Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW the P/N for the Magnaflow tip I used was 35136.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #182
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I used to own a set from Hawkshead, but for the 3500 chassis, I was too concerned that the flimsy rubber inner rear wheel air nozzle would bend under the weight when spinning and either allow air out or damage it, and with the plastic extender, even more so. Did you just mount them on the stock inlets for the rear inners or on the extenders? Have you had any issues with the inner wheel air sensors?

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Is tinting the 2 front large windows.
Just got the tire pressure monitor TPM with pass trough sensors so I do not have to remove the sensors. Everything I read about it they work OK and I purchased an extra one for the spare tire.
TALON RV TPMS, HawksHead TPMS
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #183
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I was too concerned that the flimsy rubber inner rear wheel air nozzle would bend under the weight when spinning and either allow air out or damage it, and with the plastic extender, even more so.
None of your tires should have rubber valve stems; high-pressure tires should only have rigid aluminum stems.

The plastic extensions on my inside rear tires were about an inch too short for my tastes, so I replaced the extensions with rigid aluminum ones that match the rigid aluminum valve stems. For the sake of convenience I also added "J"-shaped extensions on the outside rear tires. And to complete the set, I got a long flexible extension with braided steel cover for the spare tire, and fastened the end of it to the rear bumper. Now I can top off all seven tires when necessary without having to hunt up a truck stop with push-pull air chucks on their hoses, since a standard chuck works all around. But oddly enough, since adding the new extensions, I haven't needed to add air even once— unlike with the plastic extensions where I had to add 5psi per month.

I don't use TPMS, though I suppose I could now that I've got extensions secure enough to hold them.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #184
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
FWIW the P/N for the Magnaflow tip I used was 35136.
Ordered mine today from amazon.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I hope the Interstate still uses a two and a half inch exhaust pipe.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #186
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Hmmm.. I am pretty sure they are not metal stems on the inside rim. In fact, I specifically tried to replace them and was told I couldn't do so by both the MB dealer and the tire shop and I HAD to use the ones that came with the wheel. The steel wheels have a weird shape inside that makes any other stem not fit for some reason. Are the valve stems original that are on the inner steel wheels?

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. I will have to do some more checking, though if you are sure the inside wheels are in fact metal and not rubber. If the valve stems are metal, the the TPMS stems should work fine.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
None of your tires should have rubber valve stems; high-pressure tires should only have rigid aluminum stems.

The plastic extensions on my inside rear tires were about an inch too short for my tastes, so I replaced the extensions with rigid aluminum ones that match the rigid aluminum valve stems. For the sake of convenience I also added "J"-shaped extensions on the outside rear tires. And to complete the set, I got a long flexible extension with braided steel cover for the spare tire, and fastened the end of it to the rear bumper. Now I can top off all seven tires when necessary without having to hunt up a truck stop with push-pull air chucks on their hoses, since a standard chuck works all around. But oddly enough, since adding the new extensions, I haven't needed to add air even once— unlike with the plastic extensions where I had to add 5psi per month.

I don't use TPMS, though I suppose I could now that I've got extensions secure enough to hold them.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #187

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
…I HAD to use the ones that came with the wheel.
That's why I'm confused. My interstate came with seven wheels that all have aluminum valve stems. No rubber stems. But then again, my Interstate has Alcoa aluminum wheels all around, too, not steel rims.

That said, disregard my previous post. Further research has shown me that rubber valve stems are still legal on vehicles that don't have built-in TPMS (i.e. GVWR over 10,000 pounds and/or more than four tires on the ground), but only if they have metal valve stem caps; can't use rubber caps anymore. But for vehicles with factory TPMS, only aluminum stems are allowed, according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Since Interstates meet both of the FMVSS exclusion criteria for TPMS, what I said before doesn't apply.

Apologies for the mistake.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #188
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
It came with aluminum wheels on the inner rear wheels? Mine are the original steel. I can't find any information about aluminum inside rear wheels from Alcoa. If I could simply replace them with whatever inner wheel is on yours, that would partially solve my problem (removing and replacing the stock rubber valve stems with aluminum so I can put a longer extension and use a TPMS sensor).

Maybe Airstream ran out of the aluminum inner wheel and just said the heck with it, use the original steel on mine. LOL!

Gerald

Quote:
That's why I'm confused. My interstate came with seven wheels that all have aluminum valve stems. No rubber stems. But then again, my Interstate has Alcoa aluminum wheels all around, too, not steel rims.

That said, disregard my previous post. Further research has shown me that rubber valve stems are still legal on vehicles that don't have built-in TPMS (i.e. GVWR over 10,000 pounds and/or more than four tires on the ground), but only if they have metal valve stem caps; can't use rubber caps anymore. But for vehicles with factory TPMS, only aluminum stems are allowed, according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Since Interstates meet both of the FMVSS exclusion criteria for TPMS, what I said before doesn't apply.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #189

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It came with aluminum wheels on the inner rear wheels?
Sure looked like it when Foley RV (a/k/a Airstream of Mississippi) had the rear wheels off during some maintenance work.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

So you're saying that your inner dual is a aluminum wheel also. I know mine are steel because they have rubber valve stems and a plastic extension.

That's why I will probably never rotate the tires because I would have to dismount and remount and balance all 6. As well as the tires are wearing currently, I will probably have to replace due to age, not wear.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #191
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I do not think Alcoa makes rims for the inner dually. The front and the rear outside are the same wheel with different part numbers specifying which side is polished. The inner dual is the MB steel wheel.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I do not think Alcoa makes rims for the inner dually. The front and the rear outside are the same wheel with different part numbers specifying which side is polished. The inner dual is the MB steel wheel.

You mean the inside of the front and rears isn't polished at all? I figured it was but would be real cruddy due to not being cleaned periodically. Sure wished they'd used the Alcoa Durabright wheels.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I rotated mine twice in 23,000 miles@$60 for each rotation for all six. The rear inner just go to the other side but the others do have to be broken down. The first time the shop marred the rear outer rim on one wheel by placing it on the wrong side to break the tire and ended up buying me a new wheel for $300 their cost. They didn't make that mistake the second time. They didn't hesitate to accept fault even though it was a couple a days later when I noticed it. Small town, and I have done business there for decades.

Gerald

Quote:
So you're saying that your inner dual is a aluminum wheel also. I know mine are steel because they have rubber valve stems and a plastic extension.

That's why I will probably never rotate the tires because I would have to dismount and remount and balance all 6. As well as the tires are wearing currently, I will probably have to replace due to age, not wear.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #194
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Mine are definitly stock steel wheels on the inside rears. MB actually replaced one because it wobbled so much the tire dealer said the tire would wear prematurely.

Gerald

Quote:
You mean the inside of the front and rears isn't polished at all? I figured it was but would be real cruddy due to not being cleaned periodically. Sure wished they'd used the Alcoa Durabright wheels.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #195
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
Some upgrades on my new 2014 Interstate:
1. Upgraded the Inverter remote panel to Magnum RC50
2. Installed the magnum Battery minder kit
3. installed the Magnum Auto Generator start (for temp. & battery monitor)
4. Added an inside switch for the Propane shut-off
5. Installed the teak floor mat in bath/shower
6. Installed a battery operated motion light in bath/shower (for those late night visits)
7. Installed a 30 amp surge protector
8. Installing side & rear screens
9. Installed padded arm rests on driver & pass doors
10.Installed swingaway cargo box on rear hitch

Love the coach... biggest gripe= 1.how easy it is to close cover on sink with Fawcett open.
It seems this design has not been thought through.
Billshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #196
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billshop View Post
Some upgrades on my new 2014 Interstate:
1. Upgraded the Inverter remote panel to Magnum RC50
2. Installed the magnum Battery minder kit
3. installed the Magnum Auto Generator start (for temp. & battery monitor)
4. Added an inside switch for the Propane shut-off
5. Installed the teak floor mat in bath/shower
6. Installed a battery operated motion light in bath/shower (for those late night visits)
7. Installed a 30 amp surge protector
8. Installing side & rear screens
9. Installed padded arm rests on driver & pass doors
10.Installed swingaway cargo box on rear hitch

Love the coach... biggest gripe= 1.how easy it is to close cover on sink with Fawcett open.
It seems this design has not been thought through.
Any pictures ?
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #197
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
Have not yet figured out how to post pictures, but not sure the pics show too much, since most upgrades are functional (not cosmetic)improvements. If I succeed in posting pics, I will do so.... Bill
Billshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #198
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
I hope the Interstate still uses a two and a half inch exhaust pipe.
What year is your interstate? Received the tip today but I'm not sure it's going to work.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Wow, could you post pictures of your mods?
Yes I will take pictures but it will some time as I have a more then full time job which makes me travel a lot which is now more enjoyable with the Interstate as well as I still have some difficulties with posting in the Forum.

I forgot to add I also had a protective foil installed in the front to prevent the stone chips. Was not cheap but seems to be worth it as I already had some chips within 500 miles.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
I used to own a set from Hawkshead, but for the 3500 chassis, I was too concerned that the flimsy rubber inner rear wheel air nozzle would bend under the weight when spinning and either allow air out or damage it, and with the plastic extender, even more so. Did you just mount them on the stock inlets for the rear inners or on the extenders? Have you had any issues with the inner wheel air sensors?

Gerald
I purchased them and did not install them yet. I did not know the inner wheel is steel?
peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote