Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Pompano Beach , Florida
Interstate Mobile Wifi Hotspot Advice please

We want to create a mobile hotspot for our Interstate. We would use it to connect to the Internet on an ipad and a laptop. We would also like to connect a Roku to one of our TVs. We're on our first real vacation with our new Interstate and finding TV stations pretty scarce to none even with the booster on. I'm pretty sure if we had wifi we could use an HDMI to hook up my laptop to a TV to stream movies also. Still would need wifi to access my Comcast account.
We really don't know anything about 1G to 8G as some of the options offer. I will say we use the Internet a lot but we do not have cell phones. Thanks!
Jodason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
This is often discussed in these forums and there are many opinions on how to go about it. the first question is are you just trying to get a god to better signal from what ever park you are staying in and the rebroadcast it to all the devices in you coach ? I f so the my suggestion would be to look at something like this
JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

There are those that will tell you you can recreate this set up on your own perhaps cheaper and that well may be true but you would have to know something about Linxu and programing to be able to do it. these floks offer a full package and support. Many people have written here that they have been using this with great success.

I too am a new interstate owner and this is the way I will go. read all his FAQs to be sure it is what you are looking for... I hope this helps.
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Pompano Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
This is often discussed in these forums and there are many opinions on how to go about it. the first question is are you just trying to get a god to better signal from what ever park you are staying in and the rebroadcast it to all the devices in you coach ? I f so the my suggestion would be to look at something like this
We would like our own personal wifi option. The stops along our route did not have it. We did pop into Macdonalds for coffee and used theirs on the go.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I just use a Verizon MiFi, with an external antenna magnet-mounted to my roof. I usually get by okay without the external antenna, but adding the antenna usually gives me better signal strength, partly because the signal doesn't have to penetrate the walls of the van, and because it's located higher, giving me greater line-of-sight range to cell towers. The MiFi allows me to wirelessly network up to five devices, though I don't carry that many with me at once.

Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans unless you have an older unlimited plan already in place, so it's not exactly recommended for streaming video, but it's more than adequate for e-mail, posting to Airforums, downloading a Kindle book to my tablet computer, and using Allstays to find campsites.

Campground-provided WiFi is generally so slow— and in some cases so censored as to the sites you can connect to; yes, I mean you, Louisiana State Parks— that I don't even bother with it, especially since I have to pay a monthly fee for my Verizon account whether I use it or not.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
[QUOTE=Jodason;1338200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post

QUOTE]

We would like our own personal wifi option. The stops along our route did not have it. We did pop into Macdonalds for coffee and used theirs on the go.
What you need is a "MiFi" box. MiFi stands for "My Wifi" and uses 3G or 4G technology - which is the same technology used by cell phones.
Since you currently don't have any cell phone contract, then I suggest you contact Millenicom.com and look at what they have to offer. For $69 per month I haven't been able to find a better deal than that - it beats VerizonWireless.
One thing to bear in mind is the amount of data you are likely to "stream" by watching videos this way. If it goes above 20GB per month, it can get expensive.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Pompano Beach , Florida
Thanks for all the info. It looks like we'll need a separate option for TV, correct? Unless there's a way to boost the booster. Feel free to offer options.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Not sure what you mean about TV - if you're not receiving TV channels over the air via an antenna, or via cable when hooked up, then data is your only option.

Wireless data is still more expensive than a home internet connection, so streaming a lot of TV would get very costly, very quickly.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Some folks have replaced their Winegard TV antenna with a small roof-mount satellite dish. Can't imagine why, but that's because there isn't a single TV show that I just really must watch. If the weather's too nasty to be outside, I've got books to read, music to listen to on my iPod, and a selection of DVDs to watch, so I don't much care if there's television reception or not.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have had pretty good luck with TV reception, but of course, that's not always the case. We also use a Verizon MiFi hotspot that supports several devices since we both use a laptop. We've found it remarkably adequate for email and staying in touch with friends, etc, without an additional booster or antenna. We've also used it for streaming video from Netflix when we have a particulalry good connection, but as mentioned above video streaming chews up gigabyte allotments quickly so you need to track your usage or you'll end up paying extra charges. Good luck ... there are a number of ways to skin this cat!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We've also used it for streaming video from Netflix when we have a particulalry good connection, but as mentioned above video streaming chews up gigabyte allotments quickly so you need to track your usage or you'll end up paying extra charges. Good luck ... there are a number of ways to skin this cat!
One way to skin the cat is to download movies to your laptop or tablet at home (I use Vudu most often) and take them with you, rather than streaming them at the campsite.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Of course, I forgot about satellite. We don't watch much TV in the first place, and none when camping, so didn't even think about that option.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I use a Pepwave "Surf on the go" 4G/WIFI as WAN router and three external antennas, one for WIFI and two for the 4G modem. I then use my AT&T 4G 331U modem with the router (which I use at home anyway with another router so there is no extra cost) or I can use the campground WIFI if available. It won't solve the TV problem though. I am on an unlimited plan but AT&T will still throttle me back if I use excessive bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodason View Post
We want to create a mobile hotspot for our Interstate. We would use it to connect to the Internet on an ipad and a laptop. We would also like to connect a Roku to one of our TVs. We're on our first real vacation with our new Interstate and finding TV stations pretty scarce to none even with the booster on. I'm pretty sure if we had wifi we could use an HDMI to hook up my laptop to a TV to stream movies also. Still would need wifi to access my Comcast account.
We really don't know anything about 1G to 8G as some of the options offer. I will say we use the Internet a lot but we do not have cell phones. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
New Brunswick , New Jersey
I had the same issue. I have the 2013 Interstate dual wardrobe with the storage space above the seats. There is an hdmi cable that connects to the rear led tv. I connected a wifi antenna and router from PDQ connect. It is 7010A Kit. The antenna can be roof mounted but I chose to leave it in the storage space I use a Lenovo Ideacentre Q190 mini pc, and the roku 3. I connected all in the storage space with a belkin hdmi splitter. I am able to use a slingbox from home and sling directv to the pc. The roku works well for Netflix. The pc is needed to search for available wifi signals nearby. I am adding a zvox 220 soundbar to the rear tv for surround sound and to solve the low volume issue that I had from the led tv. I have used this system in various states on the road and in camp grounds and has worked very good.
AirTurtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
That sounds like a powerful system, but for what it costs, it better be.

The Pepwave Surf on the go allows use of a 4G modem or WIFI as WAN, much less cost ($100), and an external antenna which is good enough for me. In fact, in most areas ATT has 4G available and more to come, and it's faster than most campgrounds WIFI-and is always "on". On a recent trip, I used CG WIFI only once. The downside is downloading video, but I don't do that much anyway.

However, the PDQ sounds like it would work well if you have to park 9.9 miles away from the WIFI hotspot! I can only imagine how many unsecured networks you pick probably pick up.

GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTurtle91 View Post
I had the same issue. I have the 2013 Interstate dual wardrobe with the storage space above the seats. There is an hdmi cable that connects to the rear led tv. I connected a wifi antenna and router from PDQ connect. It is 7010A Kit. The antenna can be roof mounted but I chose to leave it in the storage space I use a Lenovo Ideacentre Q190 mini pc, and the roku 3. I connected all in the storage space with a belkin hdmi splitter. I am able to use a slingbox from home and sling directv to the pc. The roku works well for Netflix. The pc is needed to search for available wifi signals nearby. I am adding a zvox 220 soundbar to the rear tv for surround sound and to solve the low volume issue that I had from the led tv. I have used this system in various states on the road and in camp grounds and has worked very good.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTurtle91 View Post
I am adding a zvox 220 soundbar to the rear tv for surround sound and to solve the low volume issue that I had from the led tv. I have used this system in various states on the road and in camp grounds and has worked very good.
Have you considered just running the tv out to the radio on the video input? That would let you use the built in rear speakers for the tv

We are very happy with that easy modification. The kenwood let's you split the audio into dual zones and you can have different sources for front and rear. We use this all the time so the kids can watch tv and we can listen to music in the front. (Another advantage is the the rear tv projects more sound out the back of the tv then it does to the people watching. Using the over head speakers actually makes the volume lower for the driver.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Is there an external antenna available the Verizon Jet Pack?
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Is there an external antenna available the Verizon Jet Pack?
If you mean the MiFi 4010L made by Novatel, then yes. Got mine at Amazon.

Since my Interstate is made of steel, not aluminum, I got a magnetic-mount external antenna. But Amazon also carries pole-mount external antennas that you could install on your trailer.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I just use a Verizon MiFi, with an external antenna magnet-mounted to my roof. I usually get by okay without the external antenna, but adding the antenna usually gives me better signal strength, partly because the signal doesn't have to penetrate the walls of the van, and because it's located higher, giving me greater line-of-sight range to cell towers. The MiFi allows me to wirelessly network up to five devices, though I don't carry that many with me at once.

Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans unless you have an older unlimited plan already in place, so it's not exactly recommended for streaming video, but it's more than adequate for e-mail, posting to Airforums, downloading a Kindle book to my tablet computer, and using Allstays to find campsites.

Campground-provided WiFi is generally so slow— and in some cases so censored as to the sites you can connect to; yes, I mean you, Louisiana State Parks— that I don't even bother with it, especially since I have to pay a monthly fee for my Verizon account whether I use it or not.
Protagonist, I have been looking at the Mifi option and had a couple of questions. Which Data plan did you go with? Do you ever stream movies say from netflix? Overages, happen much? Did you get the plan that allows you to turn the service on and off? If you don't mind me asking what do the bills for that device range for your usage? Thanks
Retail6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail6 View Post
Protagonist, I have been looking at the Mifi option and had a couple of questions. Which Data plan did you go with? Do you ever stream movies say from netflix? Overages, happen much? Did you get the plan that allows you to turn the service on and off? If you don't mind me asking what do the bills for that device range for your usage? Thanks
When I got mine, they only offered two plans, 5GB for $50, or 10GB for $80. I went with the 5GB plan, and have never gone over my monthly allotment except after a hurricane when I was using it at home as well because Cox was out of service.

I never stream movies. I download them while at home— using my Cox unlimited data plan— to watch later while traveling. Or just rent DVDs to take along. When you consider that an HD movie can run up to about 1GB per hour of video, it's a lot cheaper to rent a DVD than to stream the video.

I didn't even consider a plan that lets me switch it on and off. Between camping and traveling for work— can't use my work computer for personal stuff so I take my tablet and Verizon MiFi along— there's seldom a month that I don't use the service at all.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail6 View Post
If you want a service that you can turn on and off, then Millenicom has a no contract plan which you pay for on a month to month basis.
In fact they have have 3 plans, the cheapest being $69.99 per month; and for that you get a 20GB per month limit; it uses the Verizon 3G/4G network.
The downside is the initial charges and equipment purchase fees - perhaps up to $200.
I plan on using this package when I start traveling regularly.
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote