Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Jodason's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Pompano Beach , Florida
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15
Interstate Mobile Wifi Hotspot Advice please

We want to create a mobile hotspot for our Interstate. We would use it to connect to the Internet on an ipad and a laptop. We would also like to connect a Roku to one of our TVs. We're on our first real vacation with our new Interstate and finding TV stations pretty scarce to none even with the booster on. I'm pretty sure if we had wifi we could use an HDMI to hook up my laptop to a TV to stream movies also. Still would need wifi to access my Comcast account.
We really don't know anything about 1G to 8G as some of the options offer. I will say we use the Internet a lot but we do not have cell phones. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Jodason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
bennu36's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 97
This is often discussed in these forums and there are many opinions on how to go about it. the first question is are you just trying to get a god to better signal from what ever park you are staying in and the rebroadcast it to all the devices in you coach ? I f so the my suggestion would be to look at something like this
JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

There are those that will tell you you can recreate this set up on your own perhaps cheaper and that well may be true but you would have to know something about Linxu and programing to be able to do it. these floks offer a full package and support. Many people have written here that they have been using this with great success.

I too am a new interstate owner and this is the way I will go. read all his FAQs to be sure it is what you are looking for... I hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
Jodason's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Pompano Beach , Florida
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
This is often discussed in these forums and there are many opinions on how to go about it. the first question is are you just trying to get a god to better signal from what ever park you are staying in and the rebroadcast it to all the devices in you coach ? I f so the my suggestion would be to look at something like this
JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs
We would like our own personal wifi option. The stops along our route did not have it. We did pop into Macdonalds for coffee and used theirs on the go.
__________________
Jodason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
I just use a Verizon MiFi, with an external antenna magnet-mounted to my roof. I usually get by okay without the external antenna, but adding the antenna usually gives me better signal strength, partly because the signal doesn't have to penetrate the walls of the van, and because it's located higher, giving me greater line-of-sight range to cell towers. The MiFi allows me to wirelessly network up to five devices, though I don't carry that many with me at once.

Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans unless you have an older unlimited plan already in place, so it's not exactly recommended for streaming video, but it's more than adequate for e-mail, posting to Airforums, downloading a Kindle book to my tablet computer, and using Allstays to find campsites.

Campground-provided WiFi is generally so slow— and in some cases so censored as to the sites you can connect to; yes, I mean you, Louisiana State Parks— that I don't even bother with it, especially since I have to pay a monthly fee for my Verizon account whether I use it or not.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
UKDUDE's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,038
[QUOTE=Jodason;1338200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
This is often discussed in these forums and there are many opinions on how to go about it. the first question is are you just trying to get a god to better signal from what ever park you are staying in and the rebroadcast it to all the devices in you coach ? I f so the my suggestion would be to look at something like this
JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

QUOTE]

We would like our own personal wifi option. The stops along our route did not have it. We did pop into Macdonalds for coffee and used theirs on the go.
What you need is a "MiFi" box. MiFi stands for "My Wifi" and uses 3G or 4G technology - which is the same technology used by cell phones.
Since you currently don't have any cell phone contract, then I suggest you contact Millenicom.com and look at what they have to offer. For $69 per month I haven't been able to find a better deal than that - it beats VerizonWireless.
One thing to bear in mind is the amount of data you are likely to "stream" by watching videos this way. If it goes above 20GB per month, it can get expensive.
__________________
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
Jodason's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Pompano Beach , Florida
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks for all the info. It looks like we'll need a separate option for TV, correct? Unless there's a way to boost the booster. Feel free to offer options.
__________________
Jodason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
andreasduess's Avatar
 
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,496
Images: 5
Blog Entries: 1
Not sure what you mean about TV - if you're not receiving TV channels over the air via an antenna, or via cable when hooked up, then data is your only option.

Wireless data is still more expensive than a home internet connection, so streaming a lot of TV would get very costly, very quickly.
__________________
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Some folks have replaced their Winegard TV antenna with a small roof-mount satellite dish. Can't imagine why, but that's because there isn't a single TV show that I just really must watch. If the weather's too nasty to be outside, I've got books to read, music to listen to on my iPod, and a selection of DVDs to watch, so I don't much care if there's television reception or not.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
We have had pretty good luck with TV reception, but of course, that's not always the case. We also use a Verizon MiFi hotspot that supports several devices since we both use a laptop. We've found it remarkably adequate for email and staying in touch with friends, etc, without an additional booster or antenna. We've also used it for streaming video from Netflix when we have a particulalry good connection, but as mentioned above video streaming chews up gigabyte allotments quickly so you need to track your usage or you'll end up paying extra charges. Good luck ... there are a number of ways to skin this cat!
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We've also used it for streaming video from Netflix when we have a particulalry good connection, but as mentioned above video streaming chews up gigabyte allotments quickly so you need to track your usage or you'll end up paying extra charges. Good luck ... there are a number of ways to skin this cat!
One way to skin the cat is to download movies to your laptop or tablet at home (I use Vudu most often) and take them with you, rather than streaming them at the campsite.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
andreasduess's Avatar
 
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,496
Images: 5
Blog Entries: 1
Of course, I forgot about satellite. We don't watch much TV in the first place, and none when camping, so didn't even think about that option.
__________________
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 452
I use a Pepwave "Surf on the go" 4G/WIFI as WAN router and three external antennas, one for WIFI and two for the 4G modem. I then use my AT&T 4G 331U modem with the router (which I use at home anyway with another router so there is no extra cost) or I can use the campground WIFI if available. It won't solve the TV problem though. I am on an unlimited plan but AT&T will still throttle me back if I use excessive bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodason View Post
We want to create a mobile hotspot for our Interstate. We would use it to connect to the Internet on an ipad and a laptop. We would also like to connect a Roku to one of our TVs. We're on our first real vacation with our new Interstate and finding TV stations pretty scarce to none even with the booster on. I'm pretty sure if we had wifi we could use an HDMI to hook up my laptop to a TV to stream movies also. Still would need wifi to access my Comcast account.
We really don't know anything about 1G to 8G as some of the options offer. I will say we use the Internet a lot but we do not have cell phones. Thanks!
__________________
2011 Interstate WD/Lounge
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
2013 Interstate Coach
New Brunswick , New Jersey
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
I had the same issue. I have the 2013 Interstate dual wardrobe with the storage space above the seats. There is an hdmi cable that connects to the rear led tv. I connected a wifi antenna and router from PDQ connect. It is 7010A Kit. The antenna can be roof mounted but I chose to leave it in the storage space I use a Lenovo Ideacentre Q190 mini pc, and the roku 3. I connected all in the storage space with a belkin hdmi splitter. I am able to use a slingbox from home and sling directv to the pc. The roku works well for Netflix. The pc is needed to search for available wifi signals nearby. I am adding a zvox 220 soundbar to the rear tv for surround sound and to solve the low volume issue that I had from the led tv. I have used this system in various states on the road and in camp grounds and has worked very good.
__________________
AirTurtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 452
That sounds like a powerful system, but for what it costs, it better be.

The Pepwave Surf on the go allows use of a 4G modem or WIFI as WAN, much less cost ($100), and an external antenna which is good enough for me. In fact, in most areas ATT has 4G available and more to come, and it's faster than most campgrounds WIFI-and is always "on". On a recent trip, I used CG WIFI only once. The downside is downloading video, but I don't do that much anyway.

However, the PDQ sounds like it would work well if you have to park 9.9 miles away from the WIFI hotspot! I can only imagine how many unsecured networks you pick probably pick up.

GM



Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTurtle91 View Post
I had the same issue. I have the 2013 Interstate dual wardrobe with the storage space above the seats. There is an hdmi cable that connects to the rear led tv. I connected a wifi antenna and router from PDQ connect. It is 7010A Kit. The antenna can be roof mounted but I chose to leave it in the storage space I use a Lenovo Ideacentre Q190 mini pc, and the roku 3. I connected all in the storage space with a belkin hdmi splitter. I am able to use a slingbox from home and sling directv to the pc. The roku works well for Netflix. The pc is needed to search for available wifi signals nearby. I am adding a zvox 220 soundbar to the rear tv for surround sound and to solve the low volume issue that I had from the led tv. I have used this system in various states on the road and in camp grounds and has worked very good.
__________________

__________________
2011 Interstate WD/Lounge
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.