Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTurtle91 View Post
I am adding a zvox 220 soundbar to the rear tv for surround sound and to solve the low volume issue that I had from the led tv. I have used this system in various states on the road and in camp grounds and has worked very good.
Have you considered just running the tv out to the radio on the video input? That would let you use the built in rear speakers for the tv

We are very happy with that easy modification. The kenwood let's you split the audio into dual zones and you can have different sources for front and rear. We use this all the time so the kids can watch tv and we can listen to music in the front. (Another advantage is the the rear tv projects more sound out the back of the tv then it does to the people watching. Using the over head speakers actually makes the volume lower for the driver.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Is there an external antenna available the Verizon Jet Pack?

Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Is there an external antenna available the Verizon Jet Pack?
If you mean the MiFi 4010L made by Novatel, then yes. Got mine at Amazon.

Since my Interstate is made of steel, not aluminum, I got a magnetic-mount external antenna. But Amazon also carries pole-mount external antennas that you could install on your trailer.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I just use a Verizon MiFi, with an external antenna magnet-mounted to my roof. I usually get by okay without the external antenna, but adding the antenna usually gives me better signal strength, partly because the signal doesn't have to penetrate the walls of the van, and because it's located higher, giving me greater line-of-sight range to cell towers. The MiFi allows me to wirelessly network up to five devices, though I don't carry that many with me at once.

Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans unless you have an older unlimited plan already in place, so it's not exactly recommended for streaming video, but it's more than adequate for e-mail, posting to Airforums, downloading a Kindle book to my tablet computer, and using Allstays to find campsites.

Campground-provided WiFi is generally so slow— and in some cases so censored as to the sites you can connect to; yes, I mean you, Louisiana State Parks— that I don't even bother with it, especially since I have to pay a monthly fee for my Verizon account whether I use it or not.
Protagonist, I have been looking at the Mifi option and had a couple of questions. Which Data plan did you go with? Do you ever stream movies say from netflix? Overages, happen much? Did you get the plan that allows you to turn the service on and off? If you don't mind me asking what do the bills for that device range for your usage? Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail6 View Post
Protagonist, I have been looking at the Mifi option and had a couple of questions. Which Data plan did you go with? Do you ever stream movies say from netflix? Overages, happen much? Did you get the plan that allows you to turn the service on and off? If you don't mind me asking what do the bills for that device range for your usage? Thanks
When I got mine, they only offered two plans, 5GB for $50, or 10GB for $80. I went with the 5GB plan, and have never gone over my monthly allotment except after a hurricane when I was using it at home as well because Cox was out of service.

I never stream movies. I download them while at home— using my Cox unlimited data plan— to watch later while traveling. Or just rent DVDs to take along. When you consider that an HD movie can run up to about 1GB per hour of video, it's a lot cheaper to rent a DVD than to stream the video.

I didn't even consider a plan that lets me switch it on and off. Between camping and traveling for work— can't use my work computer for personal stuff so I take my tablet and Verizon MiFi along— there's seldom a month that I don't use the service at all.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail6 View Post
If you want a service that you can turn on and off, then Millenicom has a no contract plan which you pay for on a month to month basis.
In fact they have have 3 plans, the cheapest being $69.99 per month; and for that you get a 20GB per month limit; it uses the Verizon 3G/4G network.
The downside is the initial charges and equipment purchase fees - perhaps up to $200.
I plan on using this package when I start traveling regularly.
Peter
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #21

2009 25' SS International
Haslet , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Airscreamer
I have a Cradlepoint Router in my 25SS with an AT&T SIM installed. I opted for the ARC MBR1400 model with integrated AT&T support. I simply went down to my local AT&T store and signed up for a contract free data plan since I was not purchasing a device. The plan was only $20 a month to add to my existing Data Share plan I had set up for my family. We have a 10GB plan but rarely use all that data between the 4 lines on my account.
Cradlepoint makes one heck of a router! This model supports LTE and has a much stronger wifi signal than you will find in traditional MIFI units sold thru carrier retail stores. You risk portability, but you gain phenominal wifi and cellular signal strength and the ability to have a more customizable fixed mount. I have an Apple TV joined to the wifi and can stream content down direct thru my iTunes account. Airplay works as well if I want to use my iPhone or iPad to stream content thru my Apple TV over wifi as well.
Check out Cradlepoint at CradlePoint 3G/4G Network Solutions | CradlePoint I am confident you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Protagonist, you mentioned you use Vudu to download movies. Do you buy the movies or is there a way of downloading rented movies? I bought an ipad with a lot of memory specifically to download movies then realized there aren't any legal ways unless you buy them. On Amazon even my library of purchased movies and tv shows stream. I'd love to know how to download movies. Thanks AD
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
I have the exact same set up as Airscreamer and highly recommend it to all!
Anniemaine you can absolutely rent most movies and TV shows on iTunes for $3.99 SD or $4.99 HD. Most TV shows are $0.99. The only catch is once you start playing a show you need to complete within 24 hours. You can pre download multiple ones before leaving on a trip on you iPad or AppleTV and then watch them over the course of your trip. I switched out my DVD player for an AppleTV $99 and I never looked back. I can use Airplay to take content form my iPad and watch it on my TV through my AppleTV. It is a great setup and works flawlessly.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Hulu, YouTube, & Netflix also works on AppleTV
Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Protagonist, how did you run the cable to the external antenna on the roof?

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you mean the MiFi 4010L made by Novatel, then yes. Got mine at Amazon.

Since my Interstate is made of steel, not aluminum, I got a magnetic-mount external antenna. But Amazon also carries pole-mount external antennas that you could install on your trailer.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
Protagonist, you mentioned you use Vudu to download movies. Do you buy the movies or is there a way of downloading rented movies?
I buy. Which means that I only download movies that I feel are worth keeping. Sometimes when I buy a Blu-Ray disk, it comes with a free digital copy, and that's where a lot of my downloaded movies came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Protagonist, how did you run the cable to the external antenna on the roof?
It's on a magnetic base, and I only put it on the roof when I need it. I just run the antenna cable out the driver's door, making sure it comes in the side, not the top of the door, and has a drip loop of slack cable so water doesn't run in along the cable. The door weatherstripping is soft enough that it won't kink the cable, unlike the weatherstripping on the front windows.

By putting it on the driver's side, it's close to two 120vAC outlets, one in the overhead compartment over the driver's seat, and one on the side wall behind the driver's seat. That way, I can plug in the MiFi when I'm on shore power, or if I'm using my new Wilson cradle booster, I can plug in the booster as well.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tallahassee , Florida
We installed a TracVision Direct TV auto tracking dish on the roof directly behind the AC unit. The dome is smaller than the AC unit so vertical clearance is not an issue. That system works great even while driving.

The Verizon MIFI hotspot also works great and has good reception on most interstate highways. If cellular signal strength is an issue, there are a number of signal boosters designed for off-shore marine applications that work really well.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
FYI -- Recent article on 4G/LTE in 10 largest cities in USA:

The largest 10 US cities and their 4G LTE coverage rank in 2013 | ZDNet

Note: Scroll through photo gallery of city skylines to view data on phone carrier network download and upload speeds.