Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
Interstate Microwave Outlet Help

I am trying to help the in laws diagnose a microwave issue on a 2006 Interstate over the phone as they travel. From what I am told, the microwave outlet will not work when the RV is running off the built in generator or the 110 direct connect. The microwave will work when connected to a stand alone 100 AC hooked up to an outside source. From reading online, the AC and Microwave both share the same circuit so with the AC working I didnt think it would be a breaker problem.

The RV is new to the family, so I am not sure if they are missing a procedure to electrify the outlet or if the outlet has a bigger issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rz
gta289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Have they tried plugging something else into that plug. It may be connected to a GFI plug that has blown.. Have they Checked all the fuses? and breakers?

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
most units can't run the microwave and the air at the same time. tell them to look for a switch in the cabilet above the microwave to switch fron air to microwave.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
most units can't run the microwave and the air at the same time. tell them to look for a switch in the cabilet above the microwave to switch fron air to microwave.
The Airstream has an automatic priority relay instead of such a switch. It is supposed to automatically give priority to one of the devices (the A/C, I think). Could they be trying to use the Microwave with the A/C on? If not, then I suspect that this relay has failed. They could try plugging the microwave into another outlet--just make sure the A/C is off.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have an 06 Interstate. Our microwave will not run if the AC is on. We are able to run the microwave off the generator, but it seems to draw a lot and so limit other things if doing this. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
Unfortunately, I am starting to think the automatic switch has failed. The wall plug behind the microwave is dead, even after re-seating the wire connections. All other outlets including the 110 above the sink work fine. I assume this outlet can be used to run the microwave as long as the AC is turned OFF.

Any ideas on the switch location?

Thanks for all your thoughts!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
go for it! i've done that to keep the clock set. i'm alone, so i know nobody is going to turn on a hair drier. is there anything in the owner's manual about a manual switch?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
No, unfortunately the owners manual only refers to the automatic switch. They arrived home today and I played with it a while. Still no success. Scenario is the same..... start generator (microwave has power) , cut the AC on and the microwave outlet loses power and doesn't return. I guess the only option is to locate the relay and replace.

Rz
Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Can't microwave with cold air flowing...

Regardless of power source, the wiring for Microwave and A/C is shared, and the circuit won't tolerate the load for both...

Trailer is designed so that microwaving and air conditioning can't occur at same time, whether switch is automatic or manual...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
I guess to clarify the issue. The microwave is not in use. The clock is on only. When AC is cut on the outlet goes dead and doesn't return until the outlet fairy sees fit.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If that is the outlet wear the micro is supposed to be plugged in then it will not work with the ac on. It also may take a few minutes for it to work after the ac is shut down. That out let will not work for the micro as long as the ac is on. Try turning the ac off and wait a minute and then try the micro. zigzag
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
Hey zigzag, that was it! Still doesn't go along with what the manual says...but nonetheless now we know! Thanks everyone!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
so when is dinner?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
Sorry Rickey I can cut the AC off long enough to run the Microwave...its too hot in Alabama. The RV has a CWCare warranty so I think they are planning on getting it checked out just in case.....
Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Cabin John , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gta289 View Post
Hey zigzag, that was it! Still doesn't go along with what the manual says...but nonetheless now we know! Thanks everyone!
FYI, in my '07 interstate manual, the AES description seems to contradict itself:

AES
: This breaker supplies power to the Automatic Energy Selector Switch. The
microwave and roof air conditioner are both wired into this switch. Both appliances
cannot be operated at the same time on the circuit. The AES prioritizes the power to
the roof AC. If the microwave is used, the switch will cut power to the roof AC and
supply power to the microwave. Once the microwave is turned off, power is restored

to the AC.

Seems to me that prioritizing the AC would be what you experienced, not supplying power to the microwave as the manual suggests!
patrickdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
One more try...

The Trailer will cut power to the Microwave outlet whenever the A/C is ON.. It is designed that way, and doesn't care whether Microwave is actually working or not. It kills the outlet. Microwaving requires shutting down A/C... If that is unattractive option, it may be possible to buy small cheap portable Microwave and run it from wall outlet elsewhere in trailer, but that too might blow main breaker if both are turned on at same time...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
Below is the direct quote from the manual that came with their 2006 RV (identical to the 2007 & 2008). This is actually printed twice in the manual. I have no issue with the system working as Condoluminum has described, but describe it in the book correctly if that that is is the case. Sure could have save my inlaws a lot of confusion. Like I said before..now they know.

AES: This breaker supplies power to the Automatic
Energy Selector Switch. The microwave and roof air
conditioner are both wired into this switch. Both appliances
cannot be operated at the same time on the
circuit. The AES prioritizes the power to the roof AC. If
the microwave is used, the switch will cut power to the
roof AC and supply power to the microwave. Once the
microwave is turned off, power is restored to the AC
Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't understand what the argument or lack of clarity there is, here. If the AC is on, you can't even turn on the microwave, there is no power to it---ours is completely dark. It takes a few seconds after the AC is turned on for power to restore to the microwave.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , Alabama
"If the microwave is used, the switch will cut power to the
roof AC and supply power to the microwave. Once the
microwave is turned off, power is restored to the AC"

this quote is what confuses people. It is backwards. Ir should read...
If the (AC) is used, the switch will cut power to the
(microwave) and supply power to the (AC). Once the
(AC) is turned off, power is restored to the (microwave).

After speaking to our service department I feel relieved to know that that have been numerous calls on this same question. Regardless, know we know.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Cabin John , Maryland
I think the confusion is in the interpretation of this sentence:
Code:
If the microwave is used, the switch will cut power to the
roof AC and supply power to the microwave
I originally thought that meant that if the AC was ON, starting the microwave would cut power to the AC and run the microwave, as opposed to what you actually have to do, which is turn off the AC and then run the microwave. The operation is not a big deal, but the manual could word that a bit better IMO.
patrickdylan is offline   Reply With Quote