Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Picked the Interstate up a bit ago, and looked at the pictures of the rotting spacers. Yikes.

I didn't ask for the pictures, as the one IB posted shows them...look at that picture, and imagine four of them, around the opening, rotted away.

They replaced mine with treated lumber.

Another reason these roofs should be closely examined every year, whether re-caulking is needed or not.

Maggie
Old 06-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
They replaced mine with treated lumber.
Hope they used appropriate fasteners. The high level of copper in modern treated lumber promotes a galvanic reaction that can rapidly deteriorate fasteners of the wrong material.

I would not want treated lumber near any living space - it's durable because it's toxic. The softwood used for treatment is also mechanically inferior for strength and fastener retention.

Sorry about your experience, it's probably good to make this known.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I thought it was something others should know, too.

I only know they said "treated" wood, would expect it not be toxic tho it is not on the inside of the Vent space.

My roof was inspected last year, and the caulk all seemed good, so waited til this year to replace it...before there are any leaks.

The rotted wood and missing screws were not noticed until they scraped away the old caulk, so any with the older rigs like mine should probably take a good look.

The thought of the whole thing pulling loose and flying off while driving is a bit scary.

Maggie
Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I emptied, purged and organized maintenance records today, and found the original maintenance schedule we received when we bought our 2006 Interstate in 2007.

The needed frequency of oil and filter changes for a 2005 or so era Dodge Sprinter chassis has been of some debate here, but I found in TWO places in my original documents this frequency listed at 10,000 miles...or at least annually, if mileage is low.

I believe we did our first few at that interval, but have been faithfully at 6,000 miles for many years....and been encouraged by some to do it every 5,000 miles.

Other than just taking a good look at everything, could someone articulate the compelling justification for oil and filter changes on these older Sprinters every 5,000-6,000 miles?

Maggie
Old 06-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
...could someone articulate the compelling justification for oil and filter changes on these older Sprinters every 5,000-6,000 miles?
In my case, it all boils down to two words: My husband.

Many people have strong opinions on this for a variety of experiential and historical reasons and beliefs. There are reams of discussions on other forums about what is REALLY the best oil change interval for the T1N Sprinter especially when it is Class B-converted. Given that we DIY our oil changes, I'm not going to debate that one. I've learned to just take my marching orders.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, we have always paid for ours, and that is okay, but I would still like a rationale.

Maggie
Old 06-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Back in the 50s oil changes were recommended about every 2,000 to 3,000 miles. Several things have lead to extended intervals. One being the continuing improvement in oils and now we have synthetic which by most reports is quite a bit better than what comes out of the ground. I don't know if all of the oils that MB specs are synthetic but one was Mobil 1 ESP which is what I used. IIRC, MB recently extended the change interval to 15,000 miles.

FWIW, my Tahoe uses an algorithm for change intervals (based on using conventional oil) and for me that is usually about 7,500 miles. I use Mobil 1 and could probably go longer but as it turns out, that's about a year's worth so I just go by it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was hoping you would chime in....but I don't find an answer in there.

Is 10,000 miles too long, or does it really just depend on the oil that is used...synthetic being better and allowing longer intervals?

Maggie
Old 06-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
If you really want to know if the oil is due for changing- send a sample to one of the test labs and they can tell you.

Personally, I'd rather change it a bit early than too late.

But of course some will just follow the ASSYST and change when it says to.

Mark

Edit:
I personally would only use synthetic (and the MB recommended type).
10k miles is probably ok if you do almost all long distance driving and using full synth oil. I'd would probably do about 8k
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would, too, just wondering if those we hire to do these changes push the more frequent intervals for reasons other than keeping these engines running well.

Maggie
Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
I would, too, just wondering if those we hire to do these changes push the more frequent intervals for reasons other than keeping these engines running well.

Maggie
There have been lots of discussions over the years on this topic, and not just as it relates to our Interstates. You'll get responses based on everything from economic (change more often to give the shops more $$$) to environmental/political (change less often to reduce reliance on foreign oil, reduce waste, etc).

At the end of the day, I recommend doing what the engineers who designed the motor suggest (i.e. what's in the owner's manual). Use the oil they recommend at the interval they recommend changing it and never worry about it. I've done that on every vehicle I've owned for the last 30+ years (cars, trucks, and motorcycles) and the one time I had an engine failure ('98 Ford Mustang w/ 60k miles on the clock) the dealer had the records of every oil change because that's where my wife always took it and even though it was out of warranty they convinced Ford to put a new motor in it at no cost to us. There's something to be said for just following the manual that comes with the vehicle, going to an authorized shop, and keeping good records.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the solid advice, guys.

I think I will go for every 7500-8000 miles.

I do little driving around town in mine, so that seems justified, but I will also keep an eye on what oil is being used.

My last oil & filter change was at a MB dealership, but we have always been comfortable with Peterbilt and other such places that service trucks.

Maggie
Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
The T1N is super easy for oil/filter changes.
But going to someone that will spend a few extra minutes looking around is a very good idea.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, and I always ask the service guys to take a good look at everything while they have it up....every once in awhile, they find something needing fixed or replaced.

Maggie
Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #175
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
In my case, it all boils down to two words: My husband.

Many people have strong opinions on this for a variety of experiential and historical reasons and beliefs. There are reams of discussions on other forums about what is REALLY the best oil change interval for the T1N Sprinter especially when it is Class B-converted. Given that we DIY our oil changes, I'm not going to debate that one. I've learned to just take my marching orders.
If we've done oil changes early it's because I didn't want them coming due during our 6k mile trip across the continent and back.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, and that makes perfect sense.

Our Interstate has seen the inside of service bays all over the country.

Maggie
Old 06-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
My 2016 chassis manual does says the first oil change service is after 20K miles.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
If we've done oil changes early it's because I didn't want them coming due during our 6k mile trip across the continent and back.
Just curious, what is the T1N recommended change interval and oil?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Every 10,000 miles, according to the original materials I pulled from my glove compartment yesterday.

Maggie
Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had a message asking if my materials references specific oil recommendations, and this is all that I found...no brand names.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4873.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	287101