Old 05-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just picked the Interstate up and it looks beautiful , practically brand new.

The new, plastic, front and back bumpers are a dark-ish grey, and blend very, very nicely with the exterior.

The front bumper also is not as low, so no longer includes the fog lights....I now have two I don't need, if anyone needs them.

They also buffed out some scratches and areas where I tried, miserably, to touch some things up myself.

Cook's Autobody in Normal, Il, gets four stars.

Maggie

Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Congratulations Maggie! My Interstate also goes in next week for new bumpers, side panels, fender flares, and side skirts. The paint on the Airstream parts are all turning white in splotches after only 2 years. The Mercedes paint on the sheet metal are all fine. I hope it turns out looking as good as new too
David

Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Don't forget, folks, now that it is AC weather in full force, to pull out those screens and vents in your AC and wash them.

Also, take a small vacuum and remove any clumps of dirt you can see...as that can give anything that may crawl in there a place to live.

I just did mine, although didn't feel I had used my AC much since they were last washed....and they were disgustingly filthy.

A couple of dead stink bugs up there, too.....of course .......also, a nasty looking spider crawled out onto the ceiling.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I don't see any other threads addressing this, so today on the topic of maintenance, some DIY oil change instructions for the T1N, in case anyone is interested.

Why DIY? Because apparently it saves about a hundred bucks over a dealer's price. And in our area, it also saves hassle factor because it's so hard and/or expensive to get service for a Sprinter... it would probably cost me more in time spent on a wild goose chase than it would cost in extra money.

It's an easy job - now that I've learned it, I would feel comfortable doing it again by myself, and I'm a middle-aged woman with very little mechanical skill (crafting I can do, mechanics not so much).

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: DIY OIL CHANGE FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Old 02-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
T1N owners, you might want to add this tidbit to your maintenance punch list. Check the porch light - the OEM light bulb may have damaged the plastic diffuser cover.

I was wondering why, why, why I was getting so much water penetration in that fixture?? It's because my vehicle's original light bulb melted the plastic, causing it to both gap and produce this little downward-sloping channel to funnel water directly into there. I only figured it out after taking it down, cleaning it, examining it, and replacing with an LED bulb. Then -- ah, now I see.

Fix TBA. Good grief - what next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160206.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	256889  
Old 03-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Another maintenance item for the T1N crowd -

Check the appurtenance strapping under your chassis and you might be wise to replace it because it has a finite lifespan. My enduring memory of Wichita Falls Texas involves lying on the pavement of a gas station to re-secure the generator exhaust pipe after noticing that it was extending from the rear of the chassis at a crazy angle - we're lucky it didn't snap off entirely after its support strap let go on the freeway. I keep a selection of bungee cords in the Interstate for emergency use - a mini-cord served this purpose well as we proceeded to drive almost another thousand miles with the pipe held firmly in place by this means.

I'm also going to add to my response kit a small square of tarp for those times when (not if) I have to scoot under the chassis in a filthy public parking lot to make a repair. That way I will have something clean to put beneath me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_2729 (1).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	259098  
Old 03-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Duct tape, too...

Maggie
Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just a seasonal reminder to remove and wash your AC filters.

I did mine this morning, and am always impressed with the dust, dirt and lint they trap up there.

For the first time in years, tho, I did not find and dead and dried up stink bugs on those filters.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Just a seasonal reminder to remove and wash your AC filters.

I did mine this morning, and am always impressed with the dust, dirt and lint they trap up there.

For the first time in years, tho, I did not find and dead and dried up stink bugs on those filters.

Maggie
Are you talking about the inside filters? Or are there ones on the condenser outside?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The inside filters.

I'm not aware of anything on the outside.

A lot of owners don't realize they are there, and need to be cleaned periodically, so I remind them.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #67
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I clean the filters by taking them outside and hosing them down with the exterior shower, making sure to spray the water from the back side so accumulated dust is sprayed off instead of being sprayed through. It also keeps the accumulated dust (and insects) from ending up in the waste tanks like it would if the filters were cleaned in a sink.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I clean mine outside, too, usually with leftover dishwater, then rinsing them under the water spigot.

I took an old toothbrush to them this morning, to get lint that was adhering off....stubborn stuff.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks Maggie. Now that I think about it, might check the condenser the next time I'm up there.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Belts and hoses, belts and hoses. Almost every time I see a T1N Sprinter having gone tango uniform and posing as a flat-bedded load on Instagram, it's because of a failed belt or hose (one time it was an alternator). There was an Air Forums thread a few weeks ago in which a vintage MH owner asked what he was most likely to face in the way of a breakdown if he pushed his vehicle harder than usual and attempted to travel farther with it. Response: Belts and hoses.

Therefore I ask the question: What's most prudent to replace pre-emptively and at what age? I'm not necessarily talking about items on a regular maintenance schedule here. I mean, what should I be trying to cut off at the pass before it eventually fails because it can't last forever?

I'm already planning my next trip which will be after we get the lithium / electrical modifications finished. That trip might be one to two months long, and mostly solo (my husband is conventionally employed and can't take that amount of time, but I am self-employed and I can... I would be going alone and he would be later flying out to join me). Furthermore the destination will be hundreds of miles from the nearest repair facility. And out of the country.

I asked this question of our local MB dealership this morning. The maintenance lead tech said that, with a 10-year-old vehicle, he'd be inclined to replace pretty much all of the belts and hoses on general principle. But he said that he'd charge me $160 to go over it and create a detailed inventory of what they recommend be replaced at this time, based on actual inspection.

Yes, my husband is capable of doing a lot of that kind of stuff himself, but number one he needs to be working on the lithium, plus number two, it's about T minus 2 weeks until football season. Hence I might contract this task out.

Anyone else felt it necessary to ask themselves the same general question yet?