Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #43
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I posted a couple of months about rust developing under the gaskets around the rear door area.....cleaned and treated successfully with POR 15.

I found today a significant number of small rust spots, a couple of which were deep, all along the steel under the bottom gasket area at the cargo door.

The gasket there is split at the bottom, presumably to let water drain, but rust still developed. Ours is over 8 years old, so maybe this is expected.

At any rate, have pulled the POR 15 out, cleaned and am treating those spots today.

Just a heads up. Might want to pull all gaskets loose, check them periodically for rust developing.

Maggie

Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Good job. Part of ownership is regular inspections, just like going to the doctor for regular check ups. You are doing a good job at preventative maintenance. Catching a problem before it becomes a real pain in the backside and correcting it. Jim

Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I've noticed a lot of talk recently on the Sprinter forum about rust on vans in that 7-10 year old range. Some even had rust occur during the rust warranty period and. Dodge or Mercedes wouldn't honor the warranty.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #46
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It doesn't seem unusual, to me....but, then, what do I really know about vehicles.

Given 8 years of age, and spending all its' time outside, some rust in these areas is to be expected, isn't it?

I could see a little spot right where the gasket split beneath the cargo door, and pulled it away thinking that was all there was.

I am hoping that treatment of these two areas will stave off further rust. If I knew several years ago that this would develop, I would have pulled the gaskets off once a year or so to clean the areas and check them.

I wonder if a coat of POR 15 would prevent rust from developing?

Maggie
Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #47
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just for yucks, and because I had everything out, I put a thin coat of POR 15 along the entire edge of this cargo door area I referenced.

Couldn't hurt, I'm thinkin', and the entire raw edge there would be vulnerable to rust.

Will let you know how it works out over time.

Maggie
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Another well know area for rust to develop on some of the older Sprinters is at the bottom of the windshield, under the rubber gasket. Might want to check there.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #49
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Thought I would share this warranty issue we had with our 2014, purchased July 2013. Just a couple of months old, a tail light on right rear burned out, turned out the area of the circuit board holding the bulb was corroded near the bottom of the circuit board. Circuit board replaced under warranty, lights now working. Fast fwd to July 2014, another problem with lights in same area. Different MB dealership this time, the mechanic pointed to corrosion on same area of the circuit board previous year. With that said I pointed out this was a repeat with same assembly. A closer look at the tail light housing revealed evidence of moisture buildup inside the bottom of the plastic housing. Because there were no cracks or visible signs of damage anywhere, it was determined to be a defect with the design that was allowing moisture inside and therefore the entire unit assembly was replaced under warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
We are not quite half way on a 6000 mile trip from Oklahoma to Nova Scotia and parts between and back. So far, the Sprinter chassis has been perfect until today when one of the low beams bulbs failed. Hopefully we can find a spare bulb with not too much difficulty. However, if going on a long trip, I recommend and will be sure to bring along a spare or two next time.

The Airstream components have faired well so far with no issues.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
One of our bulbs went out on our last trip and the other on the trip before that. Fortunately H7 bulbs are easy to find and replace. I'm currently trying out some LED headlamp bulbs. They're certainly brighter, but I do get error messages on my dash. I might try getting load resisters, but they get hot so I might just live with the "bulb out" messages.

I tried HIDs, but Mercedes' CANBUS system is so sensitive that it cut off power to the lights during ignition (the ballast draws a lot of power during ignition) causing the HID bulbs to blink 11 times before staying lit. And yes, I tried the type with an in-line capacitor.
David
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #52
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I replaced the coach battery in the Interstate today, for the second time in an 8+ year old vehicle, which doesn't seem too bad. It wasn't holding a charge, and "had a bad cell", per Interstate Batteries in Bloomington.

Learned a couple of things that I wanted to share.

The battery put in several years ago was a NAPA brand, "standard, deep-cycle battery", but not the best for the coach because it rides in the interior (under the passenger seat) rather than on the outside of the rig.

This type of battery vents gasses into the interior, can emit a rotten-egg odor and can cause corrosion to the underneath of the seat.

We bought this battery on the road somewhere out west 3-4 years ago, as I recall. I didn't know these things, and am sure Doug did not, either.

It was replaced with a more expensive AGM battery, but one which does not do the above misdeeds.

Wanted to let y'all know.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #53
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dropped the Interstate off at the local bodyshop this morning, where they are going to replace both the front and rear bumpers, and do a little buffing.

I took a peek at the replacements. They are a textured, dark-ish grey, rather than the silver painted on there now, and will be installed that way, unpainted. That is apparently what is available these days.

When done, it will looked a bit cobbled together, as Doug would say, but the same front and back. I am okay with that, because the front bumper, especially, looks pretty awful. The silver and greys will blend together, at least to me, and I can live with it.

As painted plastic, any little rock hit takes a chip off the paint, and the old one has quite a dance of dings of various severity all across it....in addition to a complete split in the center which Doug did several years ago going over a curb in a parking lot. That bumper hangs very low. We tried to patch and paint, but.......it was time for it to go.

As the new one will not be painted, no paint can chip, and altho rocks may still leave a mark they shouldn't be what they are now.

Just letting y'all know. Those of us with older Interstates may find this is the only replacement bumper available to us.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Dropped the Interstate off at the local bodyshop this morning, where they are going to replace both the front and rear bumpers, and do a little buffing.

I took a peek at the replacements. They are a textured, dark-ish grey, rather than the silver painted on there now, and will be installed that way, unpainted. That is apparently what is available these days.

When done, it will looked a bit cobbled together, as Doug would say, but the same front and back. I am okay with that, because the front bumper, especially, looks pretty awful. The silver and greys will blend together, at least to me, and I can live with it.

As painted plastic, any little rock hit takes a chip off the paint, and the old one has quite a dance of dings of various severity all across it....in addition to a complete split in the center which Doug did several years ago going over a curb in a parking lot. That bumper hangs very low. We tried to patch and paint, but.......it was time for it to go.

As the new one will not be painted, no paint can chip, and altho rocks may still leave a mark they shouldn't be what they are now.

Just letting y'all know. Those of us with older Interstates may find this is the only replacement bumper available to us.

Maggie
As a matter of fact, Maggie, I read somewhere that Pleasureway made the decision to do the same on all their latest models for those very same reasons. Take a look at their webpage!
Peter
Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #55
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interesting.

It was a good move, in my humble opinion.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sounds like they are putting the standard Sprinter bumper cover on, not the Airstream one.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote