Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2023, 06:10 PM   #621
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
As promised here's my current setup and why I did it this way, although I am still tempted by that big Sprinter kit. I'm in charge of 5 vehicles, and 3 of those vehicles need some sort of tool kit when traveling. So the tool roll is both S.A.E. and Metric and goes along in each of those three vehicles including the Sprinter, although I don't need the S.A.E. on the Sprinter unless towing the Jeep so theoretically I could remove the S.A.E. stuff to save weight when not towing.
Then, in addition to the tool roll, I have a few special tools specific to each vehicle which remain in those vehicles at all times, so between the tool roll and the specialty tools I can handle most repairs for each vehicle. The one thing that gets transferred around is a big torque wrench for the wheels but the correct socket for each vehicle stays with that vehicle. The Sprinter by far has the most specialty tools like E Torx, ratcheting box wrenches, and Torx screwdrivers (I don't like the little bits that fit one handle, have dropped and lost way too many of those), in addition to a few household tools and electrical stuff.
The tool roll is easy enough to toss in each vehicle and the wrench rolls along with the socket trays keep everything well organized, although I just noticed today a couple of the numbers came off the socket trays. These particular socket trays hold the sockets in place by twisting and they don't fall out.
The Sprinter kit looks like a great idea for those who want a tool set to do just about anything both on the road and at home. I leave stuff like brake tools, oil change stuff and anything for major work at home because I'm not going to be doing any of that stuff on the road.
Just another idea. Your mileage may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230814_164125.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	435449   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230814_164138.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	435450  

Name:	20230814_164627.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	435451   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230814_164718.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	435452  

Old 08-15-2023, 02:04 PM   #622
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
ITSNO60 - nice tool rolls! I thought of those too, as an option, since the soft sided rolls back easily.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 03:05 PM   #623
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yesterday I introduced my Interstate to a curious client as “My nine thousand pound wallet-eater.” I had driven it to a work meeting on the other side of Houston to give it some exercise (because one can go to a “work meeting on the other side of Houston” and easily drive 100 miles… here is a scaled outline of the state of Connecticut overlain on a map of the Houston metro area).

Today in wallet-snacking, I am no expert, but this serpentine belt looks awfully bad for the 40,000 miles that it is SUPPOSED to have on it. It’s a $30 item that was SUPPOSED to have been replaced in 2019 when I had a new long block put in. But now I wonder if what I was told had been factual, and my bad for not automatically engaging the process of “trust but verify”.

^^ ***God give me patience and stamina both.***

At any rate, here’s the upside to alternator #3 that mysteriously burned out with just 40,000 miles on it. My husband noticed this belt condition when he installed the new alternator and he is replacing it today, along with the belt tensioner because that is presumably 17 years old as well at this point.

EDIT: For non-technical readers, the belt WITHOUT all the little cracks in its ribbing is the new one.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #624
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Here are some of our recent adds and fixes:
2021 AI-19 on 2020, 2500 - MBUX radio sounded terrible! Like really terrible! A wire harness MB used was made up incorrectly causing audio to go to in dash center tweet speaker. Door speakers were so quiet they could not be heard. Result was a tinny screech quality. Center of dash is a small dual coil single cone speaker. Corrected the two pair (4 wire) connections and WOW, what a difference. Apparently this is an issue for a large number of vehicles.

Added a smaller wand and a shut off to the wet bath faucet. Now can set the water temperature with the faucet handle and then start or stop the water flow easily. Additionally, set the main water temperature mixer valve to allow 118° hot water per the spec. With the original setting the valve was temperamental (forgive the pun) and hot water would disappear but seems to be settled in now.

Added a suction cup caddy in the wet bath and removed the pump soap dispenser provided by AS. The same company selling the caddy also sells hooks with suction cups. Purchased a set of the hooks and then reappropriated a suction cup to the caddy. This removed the potential to make vibration noise when driving and possible failure to stay in place.

Added the teak wet bath floor mat.

Added a blackout curtain right behind the cab seats. Can put it up quickly and store it easily by rolling it up and placing it on the cab shelf added a while back. Quick privacy in the back part leaving full view out the windows in the cab.

Added a puck light to the cubby under the TV.

Replaced the pantry slide out 5# latch with a 10#.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:18 PM   #625
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Please do share details on the wet bath faucet improvements. Did you replace the actual faucet? If so, with what did you replace it and how difficult was the swap?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:40 PM   #626
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Please do share details on the wet bath faucet improvements. Did you replace the actual faucet? If so, with what did you replace it and how difficult was the swap?
Here are Amazon links

Shut off
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VCL5DRG...t_details&th=1

Wand
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCQ3BFS...roduct_details

The new wand will come with a bunch of adapter parts and a hose. I left those in the box and used only the wand. I put the shut off valve on the new wand. I then replaced the original wand with the new one. The faucet is still the original. I am searching for a replacement to the lever handle. I would like to find a ball or at least a shorter handle. Using the original hose made it a quick and easy project. The new wand rests easily in the faucet body and reaches the wall hook just like the original. I used a little bit of the provided tape on the threads. Doesn't look bad and works well. The wand will provide either a straight stream or spray.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:00 AM   #627

Sounds pretty cool, ordered for our van. Let us know if you find an easy replacement for the faucet handle as well! Thanks.

Old 09-02-2023, 03:43 PM   #628
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Niceville , Destin
Rocinante: here is a good replacement faucet from Dudadiesl, it’s a set and forget temperature , it also circulate the water in the valve so you don’t get a blast of cold water.

Sorry about the angle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4307.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	436345  
Vacayourway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 08:13 AM   #629

Interstate Maintenance & Upkeep

Oh, that looks promising as well, thanks! How difficult was it to remove the old faucet, including the flex hose that hides in the wall, and install this new one?

Found it here, but for now it is out of stock:
https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_it...tchenValve-002

Old 09-15-2023, 07:29 PM   #630
4 Rivet Member

Added two things to the Sprinter:
- An engine oil dipstick (comes with a capped tube but no stick)
- Hood struts (Owl)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:41 PM   #631
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
What year is yours that has no oil dipstick? What are Owl hood struts and how are they better than what the Sprinter came with?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:17 PM   #632
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
What year is yours that has no oil dipstick? What are Owl hood struts and how are they better than what the Sprinter came with?
Chassis is 2020 (2021 AI-19) Sprinter 2500

The hood from factory has a single prop. Owl Vans is a distributor of after market parts. The prop is just a rod which hinges from the hood into a slot at the fender. The struts come as a pair so one on each side. They are gas filled so they help lift the hood and hold it up. Makes it a one handed raise and lower (like a rear hatch on a SUV).

Don't really need either but what the heck As it comes from the factory checking engine oil is via a dash display. I'm old fashioned and want to actually see the oil on a stick. I was adding DEF recently and thought the hood could use an upgrade to struts, especially with a dipstick to look at