Old 07-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #211
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the info on propane line lifespan. Something to put in our tickler file for 2022.

BMW R1200GS
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #212
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
IB, our gas lines are copper:

Were yours different?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #213
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
My 2006 also has the flexible lines- but it appears I can reach them ok without removing the drain line (but of course I have not DONE it yet, but I may be full of it).

I'll be following closely, perhaps more could be purchased from the same vendor?

Mark
Old 07-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Were yours different?
As Lotus says - yes, many. I suspect it might have been due to a code thing, maybe? Amidships, the distribution lines (including the fill and overfill) are all flex lines. But the aft lines (furnace and water heater) are copper.

Furthermore, it's a bit freakish-looking because Airstream encased the copper lines in PEX (cross-linked polyethylene tubing). I almost had a heart attack when I first saw it, because I thought they'd used PEX for the propane lines themselves (which would be a no-no). But apparently they used random scraps of PEX as conduiting material, for an extra level of protection.

I suspect that some guidance document somewhere said, "If the line is over X feet long, you must use copper instead of flex". Hence the mixture of materials.

I also have a dim and distant memory that the particular flex lines that Airstream used for fill and overfill have built-in safety features relating to pressure. The tank itself does, but so do the lines, IIRC. That can only be achieved using an organic technology.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Different topic now... genset oil changes.

I noticed that the easily-accessible Onan oil change guides are generic, and don't really speak to the challenges involved with performing the task in very tight spaces. Therefore, I've augmented those existing resources with this blog post:

OIL CHANGE FOR AN UNDERMOUNTED, CONSTRICTED ONAN 2500 LP GENERATOR
Old 07-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Were yours different?

All Interstates have a mix of solid copper and rubber flex lines for the LP system.

Thanks to IB for discussing this important safety issue. I suspect the life span on these flex LP lines is one of the reasons we see fires on older RVs.

While I like propane for heating and cooking I plan to avoid it if I ever buy another B-van.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #217
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
All Interstates have a mix of solid copper and rubber flex lines for the LP system.
Even the NCV3s, I take it.

My advice is to get under the chassis and evaluate what you have. The Interstates pack so much complexity into such a small space... I find that it takes a fresh mind focusing on one issue at a time in order to properly register it. One day I might get under with the sole intention of dealing with the generator - no distractions. The next day, it's the LP lines, and no other issue.

The LP distribution system is fairly complex. On our rig, of the lines that are not copper, there is one solid-shell internal distribution line manufactured by Marshall Gas Controls and three braided-shell lines manufactured by Parker. All three Parker lines are different diameters, however (two for the fill system and one for the genset). Presumably there were reasons why Airstream made these choices.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Yes - even on NCV3 Interstates those same four lines; genset, overflow, fill and external quick connect lines are flex hoses.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Recommendation for the Interstate maintenance / DIY crowd:

Get yourself one of these $25 creepers from Harbor Freight. For a long time, I resisted. Why DIY-build 4.5-inch wooden ramps only to then forfeit about 2 of those precious inches to a creeper?! Why, why, why?

Because fire ants. Invasive South American fire ants finally drove me to it. I was perfectly happy getting bruised and battered rolling around on the concrete beneath the chassis, but after the 300th expletive-laden fire ant bite, I asked my husband to go fetch one of these. The worst thing about fire ants is that you never know in advance how the bites are going to turn out - they are ticking time bombs. Sometimes there's almost no reaction. Sometimes there's the typical formic acid inflammation. Other times, you'll develop full-blown abscesses. It all depends on which pathogens happen to be flourishing within the ant mounds at any given time in any given place. Welcome to the subtropics. But there's a defensive countermeasure, plus it really does make some jobs easier, like when you have to keep swiveling around to try to position yourself to reach something in a constricted area. Hail the match made in heaven: