Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Of course not
Warranty ended 10/16 of course

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

I would have asked them to consider a goodwill repair. I've been lucky with that in the past.

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Service issues

Had APS and EPS and abs lights go on. 3 messages to take to service.

And had service B done. Plus fuel filter.

$1600!!!!

Wow

That does seem high. What is your dealers hourly rate?

I just had a B service with 2.5 gal DEF added, fuel filter, cabin air filter, engine air filter, brake fluid flush, transmission fluid change and replacement of a leaking rear axle pinion seal. This was a Freightliner Sprinter/bus shop with $125/hour rate. The total cost was $1500. The rear axle seal repair alone was a 3 hour job. They had to keep my van all day to finish the work.

I have tried three dealers so far. The first was a Mercedes dealer near Baltimore. Their rate was double at $250/hour and they messed up my first B service; causing me to return the van twice for a fuel leak and the last one was a flat bed tow courtesy of Mercedes Roadside Assistance. Needless to say I looked for another dealer for service. Then I drove 2 hours up to Sun Motors in Mechanicsburg, PA for multiple services. They are a great Sprinter shop and charge $125/hour. But the long drive was getting old. Had the last two services at the Freightliner Sprinter shop in Annapolis. they are a truck/bus shop, no fancy waiting room but do good honest work.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I finally got around to beginning the ground effects job. Description in this blog post, and this is of particular interest to T1N Interstate owners, as I don't know how the NCV3 ground effects are secured to those rigs.

REHABBING THE GROUND EFFECTS SUPPORTS ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I finally got around to beginning the ground effects job. Description in this blog post, and this is of particular interest to T1N Interstate owners, as I don't know how the NCV3 ground effects are secured to those rigs.

REHABBING THE GROUND EFFECTS SUPPORTS ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Side trim uses VHB tape on poorly prepped surfaces and the front bumper cover uses pop rivets (four I think) and maybe VHB tape. Remember the story about how one forum member's bumper cover fell off while he was stopped at an intersection.

Of course the poor attachment methods do make it easier to remove all of them when you have to repaint them because of the crappy AI paint job.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I should also mention that I'm eyeing that muffler as a POR-15 experiment. As is often the case with motor vehicles, the muffler itself is not rusting but some of the joinery is. Many muffler replacements occur for reasons of piping degradation only.

So I thought maybe I'd treat those areas and see how the coating holds up. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't take heat well, and I'll have to do it over with the Rustoleum rattle can paint that is made for recoating BBQs.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #146
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
I should also mention that I'm eyeing that muffler as a POR-15 experiment. As is often the case with motor vehicles, the muffler itself is not rusting but some of the joinery is. Many muffler replacements occur for reasons of piping degradation only.

So I thought maybe I'd treat those areas and see how the coating holds up. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't take heat well, and I'll have to do it over with the Rustoleum rattle can paint that is made for recoating BBQs.
Regular POR Top Coat is temperature resistant to 300F continuous, 500 for short periods. They make a high temperature formulation.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
According to the website called Repair Pal, "The average cost for a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 Exhaust Muffler Replacement is between $1,406 and $1,623."

If anything, I bet the T1N 2500 Interstate's muffler would be more expensive, because its exhaust line is not stock - it's a custom fab job because it needed to be re-routed around the generator.

With costs that high, if I can develop a rust arrest system that adds even a few years onto the life of the existing muffler, it's a win, especially given that not that much effort needs to go into it.

Now, as to what coatings (POR-15 or other) might be best to accomplish such a goal, that's a bit trickier to determine. The range 300 - 500 degrees is commonly cited as temps that mufflers might reach, but there's a lot of uncertainty and variability.

The easiest approach to addressing this question seemed to be the pursuit of empirical wisdom. I picked a small area on an exhaust joint and coated it with the POR-15. Next I'll drive around, get the engine up to full temp, and see how it holds up in the real world.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The makers of POR-15 may have sold themselves short. Here's a pic of one of my muffler welds... you can see a light superficial rust shadow spreading out from the weld but the weld itself was starting to pit quite badly relative to the rest of the piece. I simply slapped on this coating as an experiment as I mentioned in the thread above, and this pic was taken after about 80 miles at 65 mph, with outside temps 75 to 80 degrees, so external air cooling of the exhaust system was not ideal. There's no visible degradation of the POR-15, and remember, this is just one coat, so it's very thin. The manufacturer insists on multiple coats, and I will add more when it finally stops bloody raining.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
IF you are a T1N Interstate owner, and IF your rig still has its original windshield, then you might want to read this blog post below and see if your rig needs attention.

IF you are a T1N Interstate owner, and IF your rig has had its windshield replaced at one time or another, then this issue might not affect you because it should have gotten taken care of during the replacement process.

IF you have an NCV3 Sprinter-based Interstate, then I don't know whether something like this could ever become an issue for you or not.

FIXING A WINDSHIELD CORNER LEAK IN A T1N SPRINTER
Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in micro-maintenance (echoing Humans of New York's "Today in micro-fashion" sub-series)

Some of the plastic trim on our Interstate was looking faded and milky. LB_3 found that a product called "Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer" was recommended on some automotive forums, so we used that. About 14 bucks for 1 ounce on Amazon, but 1 ounce goes a long, long way.

Here's a pic of our side mirror support, with the southeast portion treated with the product and the northwest portion in original condition:

Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Pretty dramatic improvement!
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Today in micro-maintenance (echoing Humans of New York's "Today in micro-fashion" sub-series)

Some of the plastic trim on our Interstate was looking faded and milky. LB_3 found that a product called "Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer" was recommended on some automotive forums, so we used that. About 14 bucks for 1 ounce on Amazon, but 1 ounce goes a long, long way.

Here's a pic of our side mirror support, with the southeast portion treated with the product and the northwest portion in original condition:

Be interesting to see after a few months and some washings.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have used something similar on my external black parts, also ArmorAll...looks great for awhile, then sun gets to it again and I reapply.

I try to do it a couple of times a season.

Maggie
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
It's not a permanent solution but it should only need to be reapplied every 6 months or so. After purchasing this product, I read some product evaluations from Consumer Reports that shows other products lasting longer.

LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote