Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interstate Maintenance & Upkeep

We are very diligent about routine maintenance on our Interstate, most of which is done reliably at our local Peterbilt.

They look everything over thoroughly, and troubleshoot anything showing wear and tear, allowing for precious few on-the-road surprises for us.

We have been on a longer-than-usual trip these past few months, and have not had the Peterbilt once-over since last spring.

Two days ago in PA we suddenly began experiencing what I would call sluggish acceleration, barely crawling up hills. We called Brown-Daub Chrysler Jeep Ram in Bath, PA and came in there this morning. At 140,000 miles, we didn't know what to expect in terms of diagnosis.

The turbo inter-cooler and another hose are cracked, the result of normal wear and tear, and the oxygen sensor is also bad.

The big surprise was that a good-sized filter located under the hood, which cleans the cabin air, was completely clogged. We didn't know this was there and, as far as we know, no one has ever looked at it and it has never been changed. It was disgusting.

The oxygen sensor will be in tomorrow am, so service consultant Bill Hamby offered us a spot on their lot for the night. Very nice folks here, and very pet friendly.

Everything will be switched out tomorrow am and we will be on our way. Will provide s few more specifics then.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Maggie,

Nice to hear good news about a service facility.
It can be tough though...you rarely see folks who don't have a problem.

Those "cabin filters" are routinely overlooked, , it was a 12/12 maintenance item at the Chevy Store.

Bob
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, the cabin filter speaks to the need to have our rig serviced at a Dodge dealership at least once in awhile.

We love our home Peterbilt guys, but this is something they missed.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I forgot to mention that our service guy here said that, at 140,000 well-maintained miles, our diesel engine is just getting warmed up.

He said they see these with 500-600,000 miles all the time, and last week had one in with over 800,000 miles who was hoping to make it to 1,000,000.

Amazing.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I forgot to mention that our service guy here said that, at 140,000 well-maintained miles, our diesel engine is just getting warmed up.

He said they see these with 500-600,000 miles all the time, and last week had one in with over 800,000 miles who was hoping to make it to 1,000,000.

Amazing.

Maggie
Darn. And my warranty expires at only 100,000 miles Good to know that the chassis, at least, will last beyond the warranty
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Back on the road. These folks at Brown-Daub were wonderful, and included lots of dog lovers with treats for Miss Lily.

The worn out resonator and intercooler hoses were replaced, along with the faulty oxygen sensor which was delivered from their supplier in NY shortly after 8am today. We were in the service bay by 8:30.

They also did a safety inspection and replaced some burnt out bulbs. We've been on the road awhile.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It sounds like you have found some Sprinter angels. FWIW, from what I've read over on the Yahoo Sprinter forum, what you experienced is not uncommon for the 5 cylinder model. They even talk about a replacement part that's been redesigned to help prevent this problem from occurring.

Happy travels.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks!

There was apparently a design flaw having to do with the turbo resonator, which we had replaced with a redesigned part (at no cost) at a dealership in Knoxville, TN, some years ago. That may be what you are speaking of.

These hoses were normal wear and tear issues, we were told.

We were happy to find these folks, and will also make a point of having someone familiar with Sprinters look at our rig periodically.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They also gave us a 10% senior citizen discount.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Super Angels!

Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Maggie, you and Doug definitely need to come to the next Alumalina at Lake Wateree....think it'll be March. We missed you two! Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
They also gave us a 10% senior citizen discount.

Maggie
Maggie,

You sure you want to brag about that one?

Not sure what your expertise is on the powertrain, I think a lot of diesel owners carry a spare fuel filter, it can happen almost any time, especially buying fuel from never been there before stations. Clogged filters usually show up as reduced power.

Not sure how other Interstate owners think about this but on many diesel pick up trucks with owners that are in tune with the engine lots of folks add a set of gages or gage combo that allows them to monitor the exhaust gas temperature EGT and turbo boost gage. Its not so much that specific numbers are targeted but its an easy way to detect a problem sometimes. EGT way too high or low for the speed and load and the boost gage could have shown the leak as lower than normal boost pressure. The gages are pretty simple installations in many cases, not sure of course on your chassis, but for example I added a combo gage to my VW Beetle diesel sits on the dash and shows me what my typical numbers are.

The cracked hoses could/should show up as LOW BOOST and a whistle under acceleration.

Good luck Doug and Maggie.

Gary

Oh forgot, we showed a couple our dutch oven cinnamon rolls at camp last month, they were rolling their eyes in disbelief.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gary,

Thanks for the info and no, being over 62 just isn't an issue for us. You can't do anything about getting older, we're just glad we are....as opposed to the alternative.

We had just had a full service job in mid-August, and new filters at that time. We have no reason to doubt that the hoses were cracked, and we are no longer having any problems.

Glad you are using your DO. We made apple crisp in ours with friends a couple of weeks ago. Yum! Such a delicious fall treat.

See you at Alumalina in March!

Maggie
Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Not sure how other Interstate owners think about this but on many diesel pick up trucks with owners that are in tune with the engine lots of folks add a set of gages or gage combo that allows them to monitor the exhaust gas temperature EGT and turbo boost gage. Its not so much that specific numbers are targeted but its an easy way to detect a problem sometimes.
A helpful hint to anyone who is thinking of adding engine gauges… Ignore up and down on the dial, and rotate the gauge so that the needle points straight up under normal operating conditions. Then if it points left or right, you know something is wrong without having to think about it. A trick I picked up from my dad, who was a bomber crew chief. On big multi-engine planes, it was common for all gauges in the flight engineer's compartment to be aligned so that all gauges pointed up when everything was copacetic, because that made it easier to detect problems quickly when one pointed in a different direction.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, 140,000+ miles and our engine battery has finally given up the ghost.

The way we have traveled seems to have extended its life.

The extraordinarily cold weather here right now seems to have brought about the final demise. On an emergency, need-a-start-from-AAA basis today.

Interstate Battery in Bloomington stayed open late to get the battery installed for us, bless their little hearts. We like and appreciate that kind of customer service.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
How apropos to put an Interstate battery in an Interstate.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cleaning the Interstate last week, I noticed a badly rusted spot near the rubber gasket that surrounds the back door.

When talking with the guy at Peterbilt about some scrapes and other bits of body clean-up needing done, I showed this to him.

He immediately saw that the holes on the gasket point upwards, rather than downwards, providing for less than optimal drainage. As he pressed on the gasket, water pooled out from these tiny holes.

He pulled the press-fit gasket away from its groove, and the extent of the rust could be seen, starting from about 8" above each corner and extending down thru the entire bottom of this area. It is deeply rusted in one spot, the rest pretty mild, but still present.

He suggested I cut the gasket through in the center, allowing the water to drain out, which I have done. He pointed out the gasket that runs around the cargo door, which has the necessary cut at the bottom to allow drainage.

And so, I pulled out the POR15 starter kit that I used last year to clean and de-rust the rusting hitch (which worked beautifully) and have ordered a pint of their silver paint.....that which they recommended as most effective on rusted areas. Have scrubbed entire area down and will treat and paint it next week.

Might check your gaskets, to be sure that they are draining. We are 7 years owning ours, so I suspect this is a fairly recent development for some reason, or we would have noticed rust before now. The little holes may have become clogged with dirt, sand, etc.

I'll take before and after pictures and post next week.

Maggie
Old 05-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
POR 15 is great stuff. I learned the hard way that wearing rubber gloves is mandatory when using it cuz if you get it on your hands, you'll wear it 'til it wears off as I couldn't find a solvent to remove it.

Gonna go check my gaskets. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is the primary area, cleaned and prepped per POR15 requirements, and awaiting thorough drying before applying their silver paint, which arrived in the mail the other day. It's upside down, per the IPad, but shows it is pretty nasty.

I need to take this black plastic piece off and look underneath there....also clean under it thoroughly .....but don't have the tools.

The velcro stripping you see, part of which has been removed, is for the screen we have that covers the rear and zips up the center.

The rear area has always been primarily Doug's domain, as he did hooking and unhooking, loading from the rear, all that. This may have been developing awhile and he just didn't notice it, not having the social workers eye for dirt that his wife has. Going to give this an hour or so to dry thoroughly, then give it a couple of coats of paint and will post another pic.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	212209  
Old 05-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nail polish remover takes POR15 off your skin.

Maggie