Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interstate is #1 again

Thought some might find this article interesting.........

Airstream Interstate Leads Class B Coach Sales
Print
September 24, 2012 by RV Business

Airstream's Interstate Class B
Airstream Inc. announced the brand’s popular Airstream Interstate was once again the No. 1 selling Class B motorhome model in the U.S. for the first seven months of 2012, according to Statistical Surveys Inc.
The Jackson Center, Ohio-based company said in a press release that from January through July, Airstream grew its market share in the touring coach segment by 45%, surpassing the reported growth of 27% for Class B vans for the same time period.
Airstream Interstate unit sales for the first seven months of 2012 increased nearly 85% over 2011, a year that Airstream also claimed top-selling honors. The company attributes its continued achievement to a slight uptick in the economy as well as customer demand for the quality and design found in the Interstate’s Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis.
“The ongoing momentum and interest in the Interstate has been driven by our premium take on product design,” said Airstream CEO and President Bob Wheeler. “While we may be most famous for our travel trailers, the same principles of design, quality and innovation make the Interstate stand out from the crowd.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm, somehow I'm not surprised.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Could be I guess. Two weeks ago I was camping in Grand Marais, MN, when a groups.yahoo rally pulled in -- about 3 dozen Winnebago View/Itasca Navions pulled in. License plates were from midwest states & a few from Ontario. There is competition out there.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The views, etc are not class b, they are class c. Class b have no modification to van exterior body. No slides or extended width. Class b are built using a van, not a cab and chassis . Cab and chassis rvs are class a. Modified van bodies are class c or incorrectly called b plus. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The views, etc are not class b, they are class c. Class b have no modification to van exterior body. No slides or extended width. Class b are built using a van, not a cab and chassis . Cab and chassis rvs are class a. Modified van bodies are class c or incorrectly called b plus. Jim
There's still a lot of competition out there for the Interstate, within Sprinter-based Class B. Before deciding on the Interstate, I test-drove a Winnebago ERA and a Roadtrek Adventurous, and checked out product literature for the Great West Legend and Pleasure-Way Plateau. Without exception, price was lower, but so was quality.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I agree the Interstate is number one, just pointing out the differences. Jim
Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I agree the Interstate is number one, just pointing out the differences. Jim
And I was just pointing out that, for the same base van (Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500) it appears that most buyers are willing to pay more to get a better-quality interior.

No matter who makes the conversion van, the logo everyone sees on a Sprinter is the honkin' big Merecedes logo in the middle of the grille, not the discrete RV conversion company logos on the sides and rear. I've lost track of the number of times fellow campers have approached me, saying, "Wow! I didn't know Mercedes makes motorhomes!"

So, given that the public perception of a late-model (2010 and later) Sprinter is that it's a Mercedes, the interior has to look like it belongs in a Mercedes, too. Airstream seems to be the only conversion van maker to recognize the fact, and have interior design that really looks like it belongs in a "luxury" van.

Maybe things were different when the Sprinters all had Freightliner or Dodge grilles and logos and the overall impression of Sprinters was utilitarian rather than luxurious.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
my dodge grill and logos were the first thing I changed on my interstate. I think it was about 300 dollars fot the grill and name tags. I sure miss that thing. Jim
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I thought an RV built on a cab & chassis was a Class C and Class A started out as strictly a rolling chassis w/o any cab or body.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Any cab/chassis combo is by definition a class 'C'. This also includes the new Super C class built on 40,000 lb. Freightliner cab/rail chassis.

A Class A IS just a box on a raised rail or dedicated ladder chassis, with most models having the driving and living areas on the same level. The exception to this is the Prevost 'H' series that has a lower driver/passenger level than the rest of the coach.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You guys are correct, jim
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

And I was just pointing out that, for the same base van (Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500) it appears that most buyers are willing to pay more to get a better-quality interior.

No matter who makes the conversion van, the logo everyone sees on a Sprinter is the honkin' big Merecedes logo in the middle of the grille, not the discrete RV conversion company logos on the sides and rear. I've lost track of the number of times fellow campers have approached me, saying, "Wow! I didn't know Mercedes makes motorhomes!"

So, given that the public perception of a late-model (2010 and later) Sprinter is that it's a Mercedes, the interior has to look like it belongs in a Mercedes, too. Airstream seems to be the only conversion van maker to recognize the fact, and have interior design that really looks like it belongs in a "luxury" van.

Maybe things were different when the Sprinters all had Freightliner or Dodge grilles and logos and the overall impression of Sprinters was utilitarian rather than luxurious.
Protagonist, we could have made money giving tours of our interstate! You're right, I think it's the "honk in' big Mercedes logo in the middle of the grill"! We were gone for five weeks, and every single day involved a tour, a comment, or a gathered crowd!
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato

Protagonist, we could have made money giving tours of our interstate! You're right, I think it's the "honk in' big Mercedes logo in the middle of the grill"! We were gone for five weeks, and every single day involved a tour, a comment, or a gathered crowd!
Yes!

Maggie
Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Thought some might find this article interesting.........

Airstream Interstate Leads Class B Coach Sales
Print
September 24, 2012 by RV Business

Airstream's Interstate Class B
Airstream Inc. announced the brand’s popular Airstream Interstate was once again the No. 1 selling Class B motorhome model in the U.S. for the first seven months of 2012, according to Statistical Surveys Inc.
The Jackson Center, Ohio-based company said in a press release that from January through July, Airstream grew its market share in the touring coach segment by 45%, surpassing the reported growth of 27% for Class B vans for the same time period.
Airstream Interstate unit sales for the first seven months of 2012 increased nearly 85% over 2011, a year that Airstream also claimed top-selling honors. The company attributes its continued achievement to a slight uptick in the economy as well as customer demand for the quality and design found in the Interstate’s Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis.
“The ongoing momentum and interest in the Interstate has been driven by our premium take on product design,” said Airstream CEO and President Bob Wheeler. “While we may be most famous for our travel trailers, the same principles of design, quality and innovation make the Interstate stand out from the crowd.
Hi, OK Airstream is number one, 27%, 45%, and 85%. "Top selling". Big question is: How many did they actually make/sell?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS

Hi, OK Airstream is number one, 27%, 45%, and 85%. "Top selling". Big question is: How many did they actually make/sell?
And, where are they all??

Maggie
Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
according to a "local" Airstream dealer who does a brisk trade in Interstates, many are being sold to 'soccer moms' and other folks who are not necessarily camping or traveling as we do, but using them for hometown purposes.

must be nice....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I've used mine several times as local transportation.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Would be kinda cool to run off to your own private bathroom during a long kids soccer "away game", vs. using the portapotties.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We haul our Grandkids everywhere in ours. They were originally meant to be a second, around town vehicle.

We try not to let them use the pottie, as it becomes such a novel plaything for kiddies. . It is great to have the fridge, sink, drinks, snacks, etc.

They would go with us anywhere, anytime.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Would be kinda cool to run off to your own private bathroom during a long kids soccer "away game", vs. using the portapotties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We haul our Grandkids everywhere in ours. They were originally meant to be a second, around town vehicle.

We try not to let them use the pottie, as it becomes such a novel plaything for kiddies. . It is great to have the fridge, sink, drinks, snacks, etc.

They would go with us anywhere, anytime.

Maggie
Just got back from my grandson's soccer tournament in Iowa a couple of weekends ago. It's great to have a "home" away from home. And all of the amenities too.