Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
arlington heights , Illinois
Interstate house batteries freezing

Short of removing the batteries altogether, how can I prevent the batteries from freezing when parked in Chicago between trips?

Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums! God to have you with us.

Why do you ask about the house batteries freezing, and not the chassis battery? If one would freeze, so will the other. And conversely, if one won't freeze, neither will the other.

To answer your question, keep the batteries charged with no parasitic drains, and they'll be fine. They may not have much available amperage in extreme cold— low temperatures slow down the chemical reactions inside the batteries— but as long as you haven't discharged them, that "lost" amperage comes back as soon as the batteries warm up.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Keep it plugged in to shore power, or use it frequently. The battery will only freeze when it discharges, such as from non-use.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Why do you ask about the house batteries freezing, and not the chassis battery? If one would freeze, so will the other. And conversely, if one won't freeze, neither will the other.
Beg to differ. It's entirely possible that one could be discharged and not the other. It's happened to me twice (in a VW Eurovan Camper) through my own extreme stupidity. The chassis battery was fine and the house battery became discharged and froze, cracking the case. Twice! Slow learner I guess

Trojan has this to say about FLA type batteries; I don't have the information about AGMs:

"The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharged. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF."
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Beg to differ. It's entirely possible that one could be discharged and not the other.
I was assuming the OP would start with all of his batteries fully charged. Which may or may not be a valid assumption.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
My bad, I allowed the batteries to discharge completely. So I guess that's why they froze. The chassis battery is just fine. Does anyone know which model magnum inverter they put in the 2013 AI EXT?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My 2013 has the Magnum MMS1012. I also had the battery temperature probe installed this week. First time my battery hit and held 100% charge!!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Thanks toskeysam!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Ok, the battery that came in my 07 was questionable at best so I replaced it with my 5yr old diehard trolling motor battery that has been under constant trickle charge when not in use. This is an old wet cell and did not want to hold a charge more then 3 days when parked. After reading this forum i found so much diverse thoughts and experiences that today I bought a new diehard group 27 for $100! I wanted to start fresh and get a better handle on my consumption when not in use. The van came to me with a CTEC 4 stage charger designed to charge at12.4 and float at 12.9 with pulses when needed. Not practical to keep it plugged in 24/7. I thought i would experiment a little before I invest in the high end AGM. On the 07 the single house battery is accessed below with the assistance of a floor jack. I'm not sure what they were thinking with this obtuse design? My new battery is comfortably being charged but the proof will be when I disconnect and move it to its spot which is beyond reach of the 100ft 15amp extension cord.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The new lounge series require partial removal of the bed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The new lounge series require partial removal of the bed.
But it is hinged for easier disassembly of the top of the box. Drill out the rivets holding the hinge, and you can lift the lid off to get access to the battery. Only the back of the bed/seat needs to be removed...
Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
But it is hinged for easier disassembly of the top of the box. Drill out the rivets holding the hinge, and you can lift the lid off to get access to the battery. Only the back of the bed/seat needs to be removed...
That wasn't my experience with my non-extended model when I had to remove my dead batteries to bench-test them. The seat back had to be removed to allow the seat bottom to come out. The seat bottom had to be removed to open the lid.

It may be different on the extended models where the batteries are side-by-side on a tray. On the non-extended sofa/lounge models (at least before 2013), the batteries are stacked one atop the other and disassembly of the sofa is required.

And the kicker is, you've got to have power to the sofa in order to disassemble it. You can't reach the two rear bolts for the seat bottom if the sofa isn't in the upright position, and you can't reach the front machine screws for the seat bottom unless the seat is at least partially reclined. So, if your house batteries are stony dead, you may have to hook up to shore power to be able to disassemble the sofa, then disconnect the shore power before opening the battery box.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
On Extended Lounge the batteries can be removed from the rear without doing anything to lounge seat. But I'm planning to add batteries by hanging them underneath the floor. I'll have to look at the 07 layout for ideas.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Uggh - another boondock trip with no battery life.

House Batteries are huge issue. In Carolina this week -

Pulled out from house after 30 days plugged into 30Amp, pull out and drive 14 hours on interstate running only inverter for laptop and watched 1 DVD + fridge - arrive in Carolina and house batteries are at 10.1v. Run generator for 3 hours, magnum in float, cut off Jenny. Battery reading 12.5v 90%, 10 min later, no use, inverter off, and back to 10v

Looks like a 6 hr drive to dealer for battery conditioning and maybe back for replacements.

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote