Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
arlington heights , Illinois
If you are in the market for new lifelines, I recently got a good price on 2 from power stride www.powerstride.com
They shipped them for free.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
All I saw there was about hockey.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Batteries - Golf Cart - Marine - Deep Cycle - Motorcycle - RV - Powerstride
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Much better.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #25
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I've dropped my plans to add a 3rd Lifeline battery to my Interstate. Talking with various techs and looking on the internet for proper wire cable size for the length (about 24') to add the battery compartment under the hood left me quite concerned about the size of the wire. Well, I must say, calling Tech Support at Magnum Inverters was a blessing and an education.

Tech seem quite familiar with Interstate and what I wanted to do. Long story short. Even though a 1/0 wire WOULD carry the 12volts and possible 80 amps from the battery under the hood to the inverter: not a problem. Also the engine alternator which is fed to the rear of the Interstate also with 1/0 copper welding wire to charge the 2 existing Lifelines: not a problem. BUT, when the inverter/charger goes into the charge mode, herein lies the potential big problem. He explained in detail about the need to possibly have a 4/0, OR LARGER wire running from the back to the battery under the hood and needing possibly 500amp OR LARGER fuses at each end for safety. When he went into the detail, which I understood, it made sense. And I am not going to make the installation as it would require some electrical engineering expense to make sure it was SAFE. Undersized wire and fuses in that line COULD overheat and or melt down. So unless I decide to give up space under the rear couch, which we will not. No 3rd RV battery for us.

But we did discuss the possibly of installing the better models of the Magnum control panel and also the possibility of adding the Generator Auto Start Module. This would allow one to set a time frame, a low voltage setting, etc to autostart the generator. And I believe it could also be interfaced with the Dometic thermostat to automatically also turn on the generator to keep the interior cool. This may be the next move we make.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks this is great information as I had the same thought. Maybe use the spare tire space for extra batterie location and move the spare tire either on the back or leave it in the garage.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
My next thought exactly. Remove the spare. I'm not going to change it as I have road service. BUT weighing the cost of adding water resistant boxes underneath and the cost then of 2 AGM Lifeline, because I'd have the space and would WANT to vs adding autostart to the Magnum. Well that price would be less. Now I have to look at amount of propane stored vs runtime consumption of the genet.

We're never "happy" with what we have. We always want more.

On another note, since I now have what I call the 3rd battery (the extra one under the hood), the one under the hood, I'm probably going to add 2 12volt cigarette outlets on the back of the driver pedestal since the wiring is inside it from that battery. Add 2 circuit breakers at the same time and since we have an ARB 12/110volt portable refrigerator sitting in the space behind the driver seat (never thought much of the tiny fridge that Airstream uses) I can power it from the 3rd battery. This will then help exercise that battery too and "give it useful purpose." Then I'll have to add a "Trik-L-Start" from the engine battery to the 3rd battery to make sure it stays charged while dry camping. I already own one that I bought before I learned about AI's BIM charging system to keep the engine battery charged.

Always something to do on a motorhome and I'm lucky to have an inside heated garage to do it in.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Outside spare carriers are available fot the spare tire. Common sprinter accessory. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I would not say I am never happy but there is alway room for improvement. Yes the fridge can use some help too I was considering one of the 12v cooling boxes but mostly travel by my self which the fridge is enough and for the ride I use a cooler between the front seats.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Thought on eliminating the spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
My next thought exactly. Remove the spare. I'm not going to change it as I have road service. .....
Before you eliminate the spare consider the scenario I just went through. The inside dual tire lost air and destroyed itself. Fortunately I noticed it at a rest stop before it blew apart. Without a spare I would have had to have it towed or try limping to a service station that could get me a tire mounted to replace failed tire. I don't think the normal tire service truck that comes to you can provide a new tire. But some might in lower 48.

If you plan to go to Alaska you need to carry at least one spare or wait a week for a new tire. If you want to read a thread on eliminating the spare on a Sprinter 3500 check out this thread on the Sprinter-Forum.
Eliminate Spare on 3500 dually? - Sprinter-Forum
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote