Old 03-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
My first aftermarket interior shades used suction cups. I didn't care for them, because the suction cups didn't always "suct" and the shade would fall off. Which kind of sucked. Plus they left round marks on the glass unless I washed the windows after every time I removed the shades.

The exterior shades are good for blocking sunlight. Not so good for privacy— at least when the van is in storage. Being on the outside, anyone who wants to peek inside and see if the van contains any goodies worth stealing can just move the cover out of the way. But fine for camping; a peeping Tom peeling back an exterior windshield cover to see inside is going to be noticed, either by you or your neighbors.

And a caveat, if you normally use a canvas exterior windshield cover, expect to sometimes have to put it away wet if you get rain overnight before you're due to break camp. And expect it to shrink over time if you put it away wet. If it dries while stretched out over the glass it won't shrink nearly as much as it will if it dries while rolled up in your wet bath.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
If I was doing it all over again....
I currently have a set of reflective and insulating shades from Outside Van. I believe Airstream has copied them on their newest models. They work very well in keeping out light and heat, but they are tricky to put up, and my wife always insists I align them perfectly to avoid any chance of peepers from outside. This is pretty inconvenient when we're stopping for the night at a truck stop or Walmart and just want to close up quickly.
So, if I was doing it all over again, I would go with a set of Remis from Eurocampers. These appear to need a time-consuming install that may be tricky, but in the end you have shades that can be closed and opened as easily as the coach shades. And in addition, if I wanted extra sun and heat protection, then I would attach an external shade such as used by Protag.
Best of both worlds.

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote