Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Miami Beach , Florida
Interstate Extended Lounger w/ versus without wardrobe

Does anyone know the pros and cons between the Airstream Interstate Extended Lounger with the wardrobe versus the one without? Are there less seats? More storage? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
Does anyone know the pros and cons between the Airstream Interstate Extended Lounger with the wardrobe versus the one without? Are there less seats? More storage? Thanks in advance!
I have a non-extended with wardrobe.

Basically, the rear sofa/bed is in the same position with or without the wardrobe closet. The wardrobe is on the driver's side directly opposite the bathroom, which leaves an aisle that is only 19 inches wide at its narrowest point. I have to swivel my shoulders a bit to get through that gap without touching on both sides at once.

You lose one overhead locker with the wardrobe closet, but in its place you get a full-height closet, with one shelf above the clothes bar.

The whole galley is moved forward to make room for the wardrobe closet. This means that the second-row seat behind the driver has to go to make room for the galley.

In place of the fold-up Corian countertop extension at the back end of the galley— which is now flush with the wall of the wardrobe closet— you've got a small pull-out wooden extension at the front of the galley. If you swivel the driver's seat to face backwards, this pull-out extension makes an adequate laptop computer table.

There is a fair amount of open storage between the front of the galley and the back of the driver's seat, which is a decent place to carry an ice chest to make up for the small dorm-sized refrigerator.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
I have an Extended Lounger with wardrobe. The wardrobe does provide a lot of useful space for a whole range of things, not just hanging clothes. I use it for dumping photography gear, hiking boots, anything with long handles, etc.
The usefulness diminishes if you intend to have people sitting in the back while traveling: the view forward is not good with that wardrobe.
So in summary its a compromise between seating capacity and storage capacity.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I have EXT model without the wardrobe. We got it for the extra seating up front and clear views out the LH side of coach. I added a clothes hanging bar across the very rear area for our limited hanging clothes.
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ocean City , Maryland
We ordered a 2014 Ext. Lounge w/wardrobe but without both rear seats and the upper cabinet next to the bathroom removed. The galley then moves forward which opens up the rear seating. There are seat belts for 7 people and after spending two months in Fl, this winter (with our lab) there is plenty of space. Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Galley is different

Hi, newbie here. We've ordered a 2014.5 non extended with wardrobe, anxiously awaiting arrival!

As Protagonist noted, the galley is shifted forward on the models without a seat behind the driver. The galley is a different unit - longer cabinet, different drawer configuration, sink and cooktop switched positions. It provides a bit more counter space. You can see this if you look carefully at the floor plans on the Airstream site. We liked the layout because it moved the "pinch point" in the aisle away from the galley.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
Hi, newbie here. We've ordered a 2014.5 non extended with wardrobe, anxiously awaiting arrival!

As Protagonist noted, the galley is shifted forward on the models without a seat behind the driver. The galley is a different unit - longer cabinet, different drawer configuration, sink and cooktop switched positions. It provides a bit more counter space. You can see this if you look carefully at the floor plans on the Airstream site. We liked the layout because it moved the "pinch point" in the aisle away from the galley.
Welcome to the AirForums! Glad to have you with us.

What I really liked most about the galley layout with the wardrobe is that the refrigerator is within arm's reach of the second-row passenger-side seat. When I'm rooting around in the fridge to find something, I don't have to kneel in the narrow aisle or bend at the waist until my head's level with my knees; I can sit sideways on the passenger seat to both see and reach into the fridge. VERY handy!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
It is a give and take for sure. The wardrobe adds needed storage space especially in the non Ext version. I thought that is what we wanted but then (might just be me) felt claustrophobic when in the back without the big row of windows. The galley being moved forward is nice because of the refer access and you get rid of the folding counter extension. With the wardrobe, the pinch point is now the wardrobe and Rear TV which you now have to really skinny by. With the wardrobe feels more camper/ van because when you open the slider door the refrigerator is in full view along with the bac seat chair. Without feels more people mover because you have 4 chairs upfront instead of 3,
Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I thought that is what we wanted but then (might just be me) felt claustrophobic when in the back without the big row of windows.
That can be a problem for passengers riding in the lounge area. On the other hand, there's more privacy for the lounge seating as well with the wardrobe— the lounge area is more like a separate room— which kids of a certain age might appreciate.

You can even turn it into a separate room; the wardrobe closet door opens up far enough to hit the corner of the side-facing seat on the opposite side (handy hint, put an adhesive rubber doorstop on that corner to avoid marring the finish on the door) so all you need is a short bungee and a couple of strategically placed eyehooks to fix the door so it will stay open and so close off the lounge area. Very handy if someone's asleep in the back and doesn't want to be disturbed. And if the closet door is open all the way, the bathroom door will still open and close just as well as it does with the closet door fully closed.

The doorstop I used to pad that corner of the side-facing seat:
http://www.amazon.com/National-Hardw...ubber+doorstop
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
The lounge area would be even nicer if you opt for no half wardrobe, in which case the rear TV is mounted on the bathroom wall. This gives you a nice U-shaped lounge and less likelihood to hit your head on the TV.
I also hear that Airstream may accommodate some requests for both second row seats to be eliminated in the EXT, with a second wardrobe behind the passenger seat up front - like the twin model.

We're pretty skinny so the pinch areas don't really bother us. What I'd really like is an option to mount the refrigerator and microwave in the rear driver-side wardrobe - the refrigerator in the middle and the microwave above it close to the ceiling. That would save my knees and eyes!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
We've got the 2014/13 Extended body version with the 3 chairs up front and the full wardrobe on the left and the half wardrobe on the right. Bought if off the lot that way. Wife and I just today returned from a 3 week 3000+ mile vacation down south. This was the first long trip with the Airstream and we are both still "alive" and talking to each other. Maybe 47 years married has something to do with it too. But we did downsize from a 40' Prevost bus with all kinds of storage and space. It has bee a bit of a challenge but it works for us.

There are seat belts for 7 and our full family when all together is 7. Used it that way at Christmas for church service. We would not want to be without the long and short wardrobe but that is our choice. Decide what you need for your wants and travels.

Our dealer said most that he sell never get used as "campers" so we are not the norm at Colonial RV in NJ. Drycamped first 3 nites along the way and had full hookups for the rest of the trip.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
What I'd really like is an option to mount the refrigerator and microwave in the rear driver-side wardrobe - the refrigerator in the middle and the microwave above it close to the ceiling. That would save my knees and eyes!
I hear ya, about the knees and the eyes! And the writing on the microwave buttons is so tiny, I need a flashlight and reading glasses to read the labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Wife and I just today returned from a 3 week 3000+ mile vacation down south. This was the first long trip with the Airstream and we are both still "alive" and talking to each other. Maybe 47 years married has something to do with it too. But we did downsize from a 40' Prevost bus with all kinds of storage and space. It has bee a bit of a challenge but it works for us.

There are seat belts for 7 and our full family when all together is 7. Used it that way at Christmas for church service. We would not want to be without the long and short wardrobe but that is our choice. Decide what you need for your wants and travels.
We have a 2013/2014 ext.. No wardrobe. Haven't done a long trip yet. Longest has been a week.

So far, no big storage issues. We each have an upper cabinet for our clothes, and we just cram everything in. We're working on a little rearrangement to make it a bit more easy and efficient. In the mean time, don't laugh when you see us wearing the same clothes all the time, and everything's a little wrinkled. But, that is kind of how we roll, and we don't really care.

One thing we are going to do, is have the swing door on the rear 1/2 wardrobe switched so that it opens the opposite way. That'll make it much easier to access.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Good idea on the door swing. Should be an easy deal.
Just curious though. If you cram all your clothes in the overheads, what do you use the wardrobe for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I hear ya, about the knees and the eyes! And the writing on the microwave buttons is so tiny, I need a flashlight and reading glasses to read the labels.

We have a 2013/2014 ext.. No wardrobe. Haven't done a long trip yet. Longest has been a week.

So far, no big storage issues. We each have an upper cabinet for our clothes, and we just cram everything in. We're working on a little rearrangement to make it a bit more easy and efficient. In the mean time, don't laugh when you see us wearing the same clothes all the time, and everything's a little wrinkled. But, that is kind of how we roll, and we don't really care.

One thing we are going to do, is have the swing door on the rear 1/2 wardrobe switched so that it opens the opposite way. That'll make it much easier to access.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Good idea on the door swing. Should be an easy deal.
Just curious though. If you cram all your clothes in the overheads, what do you use the wardrobe for?
So far, it's been crammed full with everything from a fiddle, and a ukelele, to cycling clothes and cycling shoes and helmets.

So, not that it doesn't get used, but it just gets used for stuff other than our regular clothes.

I also just bought some storage baskets that will, hopefully, allow us to store our clothes a bit easier. Stuff will still be crammed into the baskets, but at least it all won't come tumbling out when you open a cabinet. Very annoying to open my cabinet and have sox and underwear falling onto the floor.

Our whole storage system is a work in progress, as we've only had our AI since November.

Another thing is, that we leave our bed out in the bed position all the time. We put a big blanket on the whole thing so that the dogs can hang out on it during the day and that's also where they ride when we're moving. Doing this, however, makes access to the cabinets back there a bit of a pain. This is also why we need to switch the door swing on that wardrobe.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote