Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lafayette , Louisiana
Interstate extend main attributes?

Interstate ext better for travel or better for overnight? I anticipate using for pleasure travel more than overnight. Considering extend because of concerns about limited storage in 22' model. Comments.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
It's true there is not a lot of luggage space in a standard length but if I had it to do over I'd stay with the short bus due to the ease of parking. That extra 18" would make all the difference in the urban parking lot jungle.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Agree. If you're clever you can make a standard 170" WB work fine. I wouldn't want the extra length & weight.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
In truth, the extended model doesn't give you as much extra storage as you might think. Espeically if you get the sofa/lounge model and want to sleep back there, because you still have to be able to recline the sofa.

If you're concerned with storage volume, opt for the non-extended Interstate, and get a floor plan that includes the full-height wardrobe closet. That full-height closet makes a huge difference in storage, but costs you one second-row seat, cutting your seat-belted seating capacity to seven for the sofa-lounge model or three for the twin-bed model (no seat belts on the twin beds that I know of).

When you add the wardrobe closet, it shoves the entire galley forward a bit. This forms a nice cubbyhole behind the driver's seat and in front of the galley (the area that used to be the second-row seat's footwell) that's perfect for storing stuff that's bulky and won't fit in a storage bin (there's even a tie-down ring there), as well as the storage space you gain inside the closet.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Beg to differ on the storage space on the extended. We use ours for tailgating and touring (put 12,000 on it this year). We couldn't do without the extra storage space. We have no difficulty parking with the extended. I personally like the looks of the shorter version but feel the extended is worth the extra price.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1996 View Post
Beg to differ on the storage space on the extended.
No need to beg; you're free to differ anyway. It's a Constitutional right. If we all felt the same, what a boring world it would be.

Quote:
We use ours for tailgating and touring (put 12,000 on it this year). We couldn't do without the extra storage space.
May I ask, what do you carry that wouldn't fit in the regular model? I am terribly curious about that.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Beg to differ on the storage space on the extended. We use ours for tailgating and touring (put 12,000 on it this year). We couldn't do without the extra storage space. We have no difficulty parking with the extended. I personally like the looks of the shorter version but feel the extended is worth the extra price.
Yes, you could do without the extra space! We have over 18K miles on our Twin model; most of the miles were from extended trips for the two of us. In either case, you just have to learn to be selective about the things you "need" to bring along.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you're concerned with storage volume, opt for the non-extended Interstate, and get a floor plan that includes the full-height wardrobe closet. That full-height closet makes a huge difference in storage, but costs you one second-row seat, cutting your seat-belted seating capacity to seven for the sofa-lounge model or three for the twin-bed model (no seat belts on the twin beds that I know of).
Yes, the full-height wardrobe is invaluable. And yes, the twin has only 3 belted seats. Just right for us; when the dog goes along, she gets the 3rd seat. And loves it!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Fort Smith , Arkansas
We carry chairs, table, cooler and Grill. Also carry a tailgater dish and baggage for three.

I think it could be partitioned for more usable space but usually it's pretty crammed with gear.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
We carry chairs, table, cooler and Grill. Also carry a tailgater dish and baggage for three.

I think it could be partitioned for more usable space but usually it's pretty crammed with gear.
Sounds like some of that gear could reasonably carried on a hitch-mounted cargo tray (or in a hitch-mounted cargo box) rather than carrying it inside, thus freeing up some interior volume. Table, grill, tailgater dish, etc. are only going to be used outside anyway, so why carry them inside if you don't have to?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I would definitely consider the hitch mounted cargo container. Another option is what Yakima sells -- a very lightweight aluminum trailer which can be folded up for storage in a garage. The advantage of a trailer is that it can be used as a placeholder at a CG space.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I am trying to choose a hitch mounted cargo box. Thought about a trailer but they are too easy to steal, and frequently stolen. Ask me how I know. Also, though I have mad trailer skills, a short trailer behind a long tow vehicle is a worst case scenario, very difficult to back up any distance. Also greatly reduces your parking options. Too many things combining to push me to cargo box over a trailer.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I learned some methods of keeping a trailer from disappearing. At the extreme, here is an example of one setup I've helped a friend with (who lived in a pretty bad area):

Gorilla locking lug nuts on all nuts except 1 bolt. These are "The System" brand.
The single locking lug nut, I used Gorilla Guard locking lug nuts. These use a sleeve that freely spins. The result was that each wheel needed two lug nut keys to get off.
Since the trailer had two axles, A high-test security chain + a decent padlock (in this case, decent was a Sobo padlock with a Abloy-esque cylinder and a shrouded shackle.) This went through one set of wheels.
The two axles were chocked with BAL X-chocks, and a long shackle padlock held them in place.
Finally, the hitch had a lock in the latch part, and in the part where the ball would go. This would slow down someone trying to tow it using just chains, provided they got the wheel locks off.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn't... and it ensured that the trailer stayed put in a fairly nasty area of town.

If one wanted to be quick and dirty, I'd say a set of locking lug nuts (to keep the trailer from winding up on blocks), a lock on the hitch, and a chain through one set of wheels will keep things put for the most part.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
I learned some methods of keeping a trailer from disappearing.
Think I'll stick with my cargo tray. I found one that folds up, so I can simply remove it and store it in a closet at home when not in use. Besides, in my case a trailer is not terribly practical anyway, since I live in an apartment complex and the landlord doesn't allow trailer parking in the complex's parking lot.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4