Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Protagonist, which model do you have? I have not found one that folds.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Protagonist, which model do you have? I have not found one that folds.
Everthere Carrier Folding Aluminum Cargo Carriers By Everthere.

Problem is, the product line has been discontinued, so maybe they should have named it "Neverthere" No idea where you could find one now, but I am glad I got mine when I did.

Handy hint for night driving, whatever cargo tray or box you get, add some DOT-approved reflective tape to the sides, so that drivers at intersections can see you have something behind your bumper.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
DOT approved reflective tape is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'm so new to this that I shouldn't be allowed allowed on the road without a mentor.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I'm so new to this that I shouldn't be allowed allowed on the road without a mentor.
Welcome to the club! I've been doing this for a year, and still need a mentor, more often that not! Fortunately, that's what AirForums is, oodles of mentors, all just a click away.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
We have the extended version (lounge version with 4 captain seats) and love it. We could likely get away with the standard length, but we would need to keep stuff on the front side of the rear lounge; that would just make it harder to move around on the inside.

We also have the Rola tray/box combo which is good for longer trips, but you cannot fully open the rear doors when it is on (even with it fully pivoted to the side; with or without the box on)

If we had to do it again, I would likely go with a 2 or 3 seat captain chair model (eliminate 1 - 2 of our current seats). My guess is that I will likely remove the chair behind the drivers seat if needed.

What do we store in the back (extended section)? Basically all of the stuff for the trip. Collapsible bikes, firewood, a case (or two) of wine, toolbox, beach chairs, etc. Note that you do lose some towing capacity (limited to 5000 lbs), and you lose some rear end clearance; we drag a bit exiting on to some roads.

Overall. we love the rig. I've made quite a few some mods that I will post in the future, but in general we love it and the freedom/fun it gives us.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
What do we store in the back (extended section)? Basically all of the stuff for the trip. Collapsible bikes, firewood, a case (or two) of wine, toolbox, beach chairs, etc.
Carry the wine in the wet bath, on the floor of the shower. Cases can't fall off the floor, and if a bottle does happen to break for whatever reason, the spillage drains straight to the gray tank so cleanup would be easier.

My toolbox is actually a tool bag, that fits in an overhead locker.

I've been to campgrounds in the past year that would not allow guests to bring in firewood from elsewhere; all firewood had to be collected on-site. That was meant as a means of stopping the spread of plant pests, but I can't for the life of me remember which pests they were concerned about. Given that it's firewood, probably Formosan termites or something. Anyway, I wouldn't haul firewood unless I was going to the beach where it's hard to scavenge wood.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Here in Central Texas, there are bugs which carry oak wilt, so moving firewood from area to area is a big no-no.

Instead, what I've done is get cheap, untreated 4x4s, the low quality, knotty stuff, have it carved into 18" lengths, and use that for firewood. Since it is kiln dried, there will be no nasties lurking within the recesses. Just make SURE it isn't treated due to the chemicals thrown out when burned.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Instead, what I've done is get cheap, untreated 4x4s, the low quality, knotty stuff…
I wonder what it says about me that at the mention of 4×4s I got an immediate mental image of campers torching a Jeep in their firepit…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You're not alone. Must be a defect in the engineer mind.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote