Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Farragut , Tennessee
Interstate EMS System Questions

I have read many forum posts warning to carry extra fuses and the like. I have never had an electrical issue yet with my 2014 Interstate, but today I had some time and thought I would investigate the EMS system. I have discovered that I apparently was not provided the EMS manual supplement when I purchased my AI. The regular Interstate Owner's Manual provides some info on the EMS, but surprisingly, it does not specify the location of either the house circuit breakers or the fuse panel. I have looked in the likely places and I can't find them. Can someone help a relative newbie with the location of those important elements so I can be better prepared for our next road trip?
FlaBucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Under the front of the sofa you should see a door, hinged at the bottom. Open that door. Then left to right you've got the real main disconnect (the remote disconnect operates this one), the 12vDC house fuses, the 120vAC circuit breakers, and the inverter/charger.

You should have additional "house" fuses in the pedestal under the driver's seat, for things that were added by Airstream but powered off the chassis system— such as your retractable step by the sliding door.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
What Airstream calls an EMS (Energy Management System) is know as a Power Control System by its manufacturer, Precision Circuits Inc. (PCI).

I'm attaching a copy of the owner's manual and wiring diagram I downloaded from PCI's webpages.

Hope this helps,
- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
DNM
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , South Dakota
Mike thanks for your information on the EMS. just what I was searching for. I am trying to disable it as the new inverter manages power load sheading and I want the Air conditioner and other a/c devices powered to run off shore or the inverter/battery power. I see that relay # 2 controls the microwave and I believe relay #1 controls the inverter. But there is a note that the EMS controls the T-stat for the air conditioner, not sure where that is. I would like to disable it so that it is not a power drain. I will study your attachments. Appreciate your post.
Bob
DNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNM View Post
Mike thanks for your information on the EMS. just what I was searching for. I am trying to disable it as the new inverter manages power load sheading and I want the Air conditioner and other a/c devices powered to run off shore or the inverter/battery power. I see that relay # 2 controls the microwave and I believe relay #1 controls the inverter. But there is a note that the EMS controls the T-stat for the air conditioner, not sure where that is. I would like to disable it so that it is not a power drain. I will study your attachments. Appreciate your post.
Bob
Bob - the T-stat is just a short term for the thermostat that controls the A/C.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
DNM
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , South Dakota
Thanks, I saw in one of your attachments that it is controlled by the display. I assume that the T-stat is part of the firefly system, as it is controlled by the main monitor, so that may take some digging to find. But hopefully disconnecting the display will leave the thermostat functional.
Bob
DNM is offline   Reply With Quote