Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #1

2012 Interstate Coach
Norton Shores , Michigan
Question Interstate coach battery access

Interstate newbie. Coach/house batteries are under lounge electric sofa at right rear. It appears battery case has a hinged lid that opens to rear. How in the heck do I access battery box when it’s under the sofa? Airstream tech support MIA. Thanks!
Airboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello and welcome to Airforums.com, Airboy3!

I'm sure an expert answer to your question will come soon, but in the meanwhile, what does the Owner's Manual have to say about access to the batteries?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Your owners manual should tell you. Also, there is a good writeup in post #16 of this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ing-89504.html I'm sure there are many others if you do some searching in the Interstate and B-Van sub-forum.

Good luck,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Your owners manual should tell you. Also, there is a good writeup in post #16 of this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ing-89504.html I'm sure there are many others if you do some searching in the Interstate and B-Van sub-forum.

Good luck,
Wayne
Owner's manual is silent on that subject. It tells you where the box is, but doesn't tell you how to get at it. When I had to access mine (with dead house batteries, as described in the post Wayneskid cited) I also got no help from the Airstream factory tech line, but the dealer (Foley RV, Gulfport, MS) was very helpful, with their mechanic, Jason, patiently talking me through the process.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
On the 2008-2012 Airstream Interstate 3500 Rear lounge models, the bottom of the lounge/sofa bench needs to be removed to access the batteries. Airstream uses AGM style batteries so they do not need to be maintained. The 2013's will have a battery tray that slides out the back of the lounge.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thank you Patrick, that certainly seems clear.

Hopefully the method of removing the bottom of the bench is either obvious, or is covered in the Owner's Manual.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Thank you Patrick, that certainly seems clear.

Hopefully the method of removing the bottom of the bench is either obvious, or is covered in the Owner's Manual.
As Wayneskid said, it's covered in post #16 in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ing-89504.html. I'd write the instructions again for you, but it's just as easy to refer to the cited thread.

It's definitely not in the manual. It's not no-brainer obvious, but when you know what to look for, it's not too terrible.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Norton Shores , Michigan
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks, everybody! I have printed off post #16 and have decided to take up drinking! What were they thinking at the factory??? Thanks, again!
Airboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy3
Thanks, everybody! I have printed off post #16 and have decided to take up drinking! What were they thinking at the factory??? Thanks, again!
I think it comes down to that which explains a lot with our units----things have to go somewhere.

If there were easy and/or outside access to everything, it would be a bigger, bulkier unit.

We have an onboard generator, but it is underneath the unit, and cannot be accessed for service without putting the Interstate up on a lift. Nice to have when you need it, but........

Things you accept and learn to deal with if you like to travel small. We do.

Maggie
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We have an onboard generator, but it is underneath the unit, and cannot be accessed for service without putting the Interstate up on a lift. Nice to have when you need it, but...
Yeah. Sometime in the not too distant future, I plan to lower the spare tire to make some room, then crawl up under my Interstate to check the oil level in the generator. I read on another thread that some people have experienced problems with the generator running low on oil after about 20 hours of use during the break-in period, and they needed to use a turkey baster to add oil about one ounce at a time. I'm hoping that (1) mine's not low on oil; (2) access to check and add oil isn't that bad with the spare tire removed; (3) my girth hasn't increased to the point that it would keep me from crawling underneath; (4) I can figure out an easier way than a turkey baster to add oil.

It was a tight fit on the side when I crawled underneath to tape up some dangling wires leading to the macerator pump, but the body-side molding doesn't extend as far down at the rear, so there may be more clearance for my torso coming at it from the rear.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
On the 06 I think you can drop the gen down slightly to service, My memory might be off though. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
On the 06 I think you can drop the gen down slightly to service, My memory might be off though. jim
Doug, who does all the crawling under and on top of things, would say your memory is off.

There is simply not enough room to drop it down and service it yourself, says he, and he's been under there, laying on his back under our rig. Take a look at the clearance under one of these sometime.

We take it to the Onan dealer when needed, for something he would do himself if he could. Fortunately, but for the mud-daubbers that got in there and built themselves a lovely nest, we've had no problems. We also seldom use it, is the truth. Run it periodically for exercise, mostly.

Aah, well, we still love it.

Maggie
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You are correct. I forgot that the dealer lifted the rear of the van to access the ac. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
(4) I can figure out an easier way than a turkey baster to add oil.
Probably could use a suction gun like you use to change differential lube. Looks like a grease gun w/o the pump, just a 10"-12" piece of tubing. Holds about a pint.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #15

2004 22' Interstate
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Hello and welcome to Airforums.com, Airboy3!

I'm sure an expert answer to your question will come soon, but in the meanwhile, what does the Owner's Manual have to say about access to the batteries?
What cabin battery to buy for our 2005 Airstream Interstate Sprinter?
wlingley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlingley View Post
What cabin battery to buy for our 2005 Airstream Interstate Sprinter?
A Group 24 AGM since your battery box is under the passenger-side front seat and not vented to outside. Lifeline is probably the best brand out there.

My own Interstate's house batteries are Discover Energy brand, which I had never even heard of until I got my Interstate. They're marketed as "traction" batteries for powering indoor forklifts where internal combustion engines can't be used. Mine are pushing 6 years old already, and still hold almost as much charge as when they were new. But when I replace them, I'll go with Lifelines.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Yeah. Sometime in the not too distant future, I plan to lower the spare tire to make some room, then crawl up under my Interstate to check the oil level in the generator. I read on another thread that some people have experienced problems with the generator running low on oil after about 20 hours of use during the break-in period, and they needed to use a turkey baster to add oil about one ounce at a time. I'm hoping that (1) mine's not low on oil; (2) access to check and add oil isn't that bad with the spare tire removed; (3) my girth hasn't increased to the point that it would keep me from crawling underneath; (4) I can figure out an easier way than a turkey baster to add oil.

It was a tight fit on the side when I crawled underneath to tape up some dangling wires leading to the macerator pump, but the body-side molding doesn't extend as far down at the rear, so there may be more clearance for my torso coming at it from the rear.
I've recommended this on at least one other thread: Anyone who wants to do DIY should buy or build ramps (they'd pay for themselves in one use). For jobs like generator servicing, only two are needed (just for the rear). For jobs like changing the engine oil, only two are needed (just for the front). Ramps make a world of problems vanish. Two ramps are easily stored in a closet, if one lives in an apartment or condo. A large garage is not needed.

We do comprehensive work under our Interstate, so I built four ramps, plus we recently got a creeper:

I wouldn't use a turkey baster for the generator oil. Next time, I'm getting one of those pump devices that was designed specifically for this job. The thing can be filled without either device, just by using a funnel, but it's messy because the quart bottle can't be maneuvered easily, and slop results. Here's a pic from my blog post on the topic.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I made more of a mess draining oil than adding it. Hole in bottom of enclosure (beneath generator oil pan) did not line up well with the oil plug. The fit was close enough that I could remove the plug, but upon removal some (seemed like most) of the oil went onto the enclosure and not into my drain pan. Once it got onto the enclosure it leaked out everywhere - for days on end.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Oil suction gun works well for filling.

About $13 at Harbor Freight.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Bristol , Vermont
2006 Dodge Airstream Interstate

I need to replace the house battery on this unit. We purchased the unit used a right before winter. The house battery needs to be replaced. It is located underneath the passenger seat in the front next to the drivers seat. Airstream recommended a Lifeline GPL-24T unit. The measurements of this battery are 11.13 length 6.6 wide and 9.25 high. The height seems like it would interfere with the sliding of the seat back and forth. Can anyone provide and information on this.
Donna Foxxx is offline   Reply With Quote