Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Interstate Coach 4x4 vs Air Suspension

Anyone test drive both the Interstate 4x4 and 2016 model with Air Suspension?
The air suspension was extremely smooth handling but we were wondering if its worth it to wait for a 4x4 given that we live in Oregon and will travel in mountain passes that get winter conditions.

Would love to hear what you give up and gain with the 4x4.
Jbrannack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
With modern stability and traction control, 4 wheel drive is a bit over rated compared to 25 years ago.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I would say the 4x4 is worth it for the extra ground clearance alone, especially if you plan on driving along forestry roads and other unmade roads.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We did high point on a culvert on a forestry road last year.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrannack View Post
The air suspension was extremely smooth handling but we were wondering if its worth it to wait for a 4x4 given that we live in Oregon and will travel in mountain passes that get winter conditions.

Just read that the US allotment of 4 X 4 Sprinters is sold out for the remainder of the model year. Most are in the PNW too! Saw one at the coffee shop a few mornings ago. They certainly are higher off the ground. If you're into the back country experience, it would be a much better addition than the air suspension.....IMHO.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I'm in Oregon too and I won't do winter travel around here without 4WD. It's not the light snowdusting around the Willamette Valley that's a problem, it's the big snow and ice on mountain passes and surrounding areas we have to worry about.

I think it's unwise to consider venturing out on any USFS road here without 4WD. Ruts, mud, boulders, holes, you name it, you'll find it. The Sprinter is designed as a highway vehicle and without all four wheels working for you, the chances of getting stuck are very high. Just pulling off the road into some of the typical USFS campgounds is risky. There's a reason most winter vehicles outside of cities here are multi-drive capable.

So, 4WD may be unnecessary if you only travel on freeways in good weather. But get off onto any local road in the Cascades or points East and you'll enjoy your experience a lot more knowing you've got the right tool for the job when you need it.
NorthstarNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #7

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
... If you're into the back country experience, it would be a much better addition than the air suspension.....IMHO.
...and if you do not plan to have anyone riding in the back for any distance at all. Unless you are pulling a trailer that is -- a towed vehicle or trailer does wonders for taming the snap and jerk ride in the back.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I have heard that the ride in the 4X4 is even worse than the ride in the standard model. Furthermore, this video review of the 4x4 was a bit disappointing: https://youtu.be/X0KcKssZnhQ. I considered the 4x4 for camping on the sand in the beach, but I would personally much prefer the smoother ride on all other surfaces. I've used the VB Air and it made a huge difference in how the van drove, felt, and even minimized internal squeaks/rattles. Can you test drive both?
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
I have heard that the ride in the 4X4 is even worse than the ride in the standard model.
I'm amazed at the number of people (and not only here on the Forums) who expect a glorified cargo van to ride like a passenger car just because it is nicely furnished inside. Why would anyone think that adding 4wd would make it any better?

That is not a criticism of migriffin's observation. It's just that his post triggered my thought.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
I have heard that the ride in the 4X4 is even worse than the ride in the standard model. Furthermore, this video review of the 4x4 was a bit disappointing: https://youtu.be/X0KcKssZnhQ. I considered the 4x4 for camping on the sand in the beach, but I would personally much prefer the smoother ride on all other surfaces. I've used the VB Air and it made a huge difference in how the van drove, felt, and even minimized internal squeaks/rattles. Can you test drive both?

That video was from Advanced RV testing their first 4x4, and highlighted the limitation of the standard tires. If you want to use it on forestry roads, you do need all terrain tires too.
Incidentally, ADV adds VB Air on all their vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you go on any unpaved surfaces you need 4X4 to pull a trailer. Using all four wheels spreads the torque out and keeps the rear wheels (only) from throwing rocks up on the front end and on the stainless steel guards. I have used mine on every camp ground road that has any size rocks. Pea gravel on new road pavement out in the
country is the worst and it makes a mess of the front where the guards don't cover all the skin.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Good tires make a huge difference in the winter. Im an avid snowmobiler so im driving and towing a enclosed trailer in the worst of it. 4x4 helps a lot but it still wont make up for the wrong tires and carry chains.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:59 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm amazed at the number of people (and not only here on the Forums) who expect a glorified cargo van to ride like a passenger car just because it is nicely furnished inside. Why would anyone think that adding 4wd would make it any better?

That is not a criticism of migriffin's observation. It's just that his post triggered my thought.
+1, It is a 1 ton TRUCK!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #14

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I am not expecting a limousine ride in the back of my AI, but it would be nice if the back seats were at least usable when underway. I once drove my wife and one of her friends to the airport and they chose to ride sitting on the bench in the back so they could "chat" without disturbing me. Both ended up with bruising from the seatbelt after a 40 mile ride on a good highway traveling at around 60 mph. Unless I am pulling a tow of some sort the back seat is for all purposes unusable for adults at any speed over 35 or 40 mph. Admittedly the ride in the back seems so bad is because the ride in the front two rows of seats is so good.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Don't think for a minute that you won't get stuck with 4 wheel drive. May be More likely to with, than without because you will attempt to go places you shouldn't.

A Van has got to know it's limitations.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
And when you get a 4x4 stuck, you're really stuck.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrannack View Post

We are on the same track - ordering next week from our Bend, Oregon home. Please touch base at 225-5354 area code five four one.

We can compare notes

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #18
mdf
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Belvedere , California
I own a 2016 4x4 AI and I am extremely pleased with it. I have spent the better part of the last month putting 4000 miles on it while hitting national parks. We have done much forestry / unpaved roads and the extra clearance is a lifesaver. I'm actually thinking about adding the sprinter store rear spring assist kit to get another 1" in the rear. The ride is fine as long as you have some weight in the rear.
mdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Thank you for your road-report!

If you get a moment, it would be great to discuss some ideas at my number above.

Thank you,

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ouray , Colorado
4x4 drive

Just got home off 2000 miles in 3 days driving my newly-acquired Interstate Grand Tour Twin 4x4 home to Colorado from Tampa. I insisted on 4x4 due to our home being at 8500' elevation, up a 1.5-mile VERY steep dirt road. That being said, the TIRES are more important than the number of wheels driven. We use Blizzaks in the winter on all our cars, and there are Blizzaks in a 215/85-16. There are also some all-terrain Kumhos I see on Tire Rack that are very highly rated by user reviews, and also have the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol for severe winter use. I think I may invest in a set of these and use them year-round, though I am tempted to just get a separate set of Blizzaks for winter.

I think the ride-height issue is easily the biggest draw for me in getting the 4x4. It is weird, though, that the front is raised 1.2" more than the rear. It definitely shows, too, with a nose-up stance. This still creates a big opportunity for dragging that long overhanging tail section. I am also looking into the helper leaf springs VS. the Boss airbags on sprinterupgrades.com.

The ride on my trip, mostly Interstates, was rough. I was mainly bothered by a terrible wheel-balance issue (front and rear) but I'd have to say the bumps were very harsh as well. That's the price you sometimes pay for control. However, there could be room for improvement in shocks.

I also experienced the widely-mentioned "soft brake pedal" issue. By the end of the trip I was pumping up the brakes a stroke or two every time I needed to use them, in order to get a higher, firmer pedal. One should not have to do this. Any suggestions on brake improvements would be welcomed.

Anyone try the Boss airbags or the helper leaf springs yet?
mineralfarme is offline   Reply With Quote