Old 06-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Don't think for a minute that you won't get stuck with 4 wheel drive. May be More likely to with, than without because you will attempt to go places you shouldn't.

A Van has got to know it's limitations.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
And when you get a 4x4 stuck, you're really stuck.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrannack View Post
Anyone test drive both the Interstate 4x4 and 2016 model with Air Suspension?
The air suspension was extremely smooth handling but we were wondering if its worth it to wait for a 4x4 given that we live in Oregon and will travel in mountain passes that get winter conditions.

Would love to hear what you give up and gain with the 4x4.
We are on the same track - ordering next week from our Bend, Oregon home. Please touch base at 225-5354 area code five four one.

We can compare notes

Scott
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #18
mdf
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Belvedere , California
I own a 2016 4x4 AI and I am extremely pleased with it. I have spent the better part of the last month putting 4000 miles on it while hitting national parks. We have done much forestry / unpaved roads and the extra clearance is a lifesaver. I'm actually thinking about adding the sprinter store rear spring assist kit to get another 1" in the rear. The ride is fine as long as you have some weight in the rear.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thank you for your road-report!

If you get a moment, it would be great to discuss some ideas at my number above.

Thank you,

Scott
Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ouray , Colorado
4x4 drive

Just got home off 2000 miles in 3 days driving my newly-acquired Interstate Grand Tour Twin 4x4 home to Colorado from Tampa. I insisted on 4x4 due to our home being at 8500' elevation, up a 1.5-mile VERY steep dirt road. That being said, the TIRES are more important than the number of wheels driven. We use Blizzaks in the winter on all our cars, and there are Blizzaks in a 215/85-16. There are also some all-terrain Kumhos I see on Tire Rack that are very highly rated by user reviews, and also have the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol for severe winter use. I think I may invest in a set of these and use them year-round, though I am tempted to just get a separate set of Blizzaks for winter.

I think the ride-height issue is easily the biggest draw for me in getting the 4x4. It is weird, though, that the front is raised 1.2" more than the rear. It definitely shows, too, with a nose-up stance. This still creates a big opportunity for dragging that long overhanging tail section. I am also looking into the helper leaf springs VS. the Boss airbags on sprinterupgrades.com.

The ride on my trip, mostly Interstates, was rough. I was mainly bothered by a terrible wheel-balance issue (front and rear) but I'd have to say the bumps were very harsh as well. That's the price you sometimes pay for control. However, there could be room for improvement in shocks.

I also experienced the widely-mentioned "soft brake pedal" issue. By the end of the trip I was pumping up the brakes a stroke or two every time I needed to use them, in order to get a higher, firmer pedal. One should not have to do this. Any suggestions on brake improvements would be welcomed.

Anyone try the Boss airbags or the helper leaf springs yet?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Ouray , Colorado
super single

A super-single tire arrangement would also be better for snow and offroad situations. I hear it MAY be possible, but the tires selection is next to none.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brookhaven , Georgia
I have a 2016 Interstate with an air suspension, and in doing research before purchasing, my conclusion was that the VB would offer a significantly smoother ride. You want to mitigate the rolling earthquake effect and reduce the rattling that comes from driving a house on wheels. Also, over time, I believe there will be less maintenance. On the highway, you can breeze down the road at 82 mph in a composed fashion without hearing any rattles. When the road is bumpy, you will have to slow down, especially on poorly maintained country roads or in areas of the Northeast, for instance. I would not run my airstream over mountainous roads during inclement weather conditions, even if I had 4wd. It's not worth having a serious problem given the cost of the vehicle. I currently own a Touareg with 4wd and an Audi Quattro, and I have also owned 3 other 4wd vehicles. I understand the benefits of traction, and I would love to have some additional ground clearance; however, consider that you will have a greater step to get in and out of the vehicle. Also consider this: with the VB, you can get more level by simply pushing a button when you go to park for the evening. I have had to use my Andersen 3604 camper levelers on only a few occasions when a side needed to come up. Overall, I believe the smoother ride and the leveling feature is a greater benefit than 4wd. I would opt for rolling during clear weather.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brookhaven , Georgia
After reading a few other posts about the brakes, let me also mention this. I just came back from a California trip, and I was in San Jose driving through rush-hour traffic on a drizzly day. I had just driven up from LA and was reaching the point of wanting to not be driving much longer. I was in the right hand lane on the highway looking for my exit when I saw the car come up on my left side very quickly (I was probably going about 60) and suddenly dart in front of me to take the exit to my right. This driver could have easily pulled in behind me and made the exit much more safely. Instead of making a bat-turn across my path, he/she pulled half into my lane and half into the exit. It was the first time I had to go for a panic stop and slam on brakes. Instead of a panic stop, the Mercedes simply decelerated like a parachute had beed deployed. It was very much controlled, and I am still amazed at how quickly and smoothly the van slowed down. There were no squeaks or rattles, and the van kept it's position in the lane. I would opt for the safety aspect instead of having 4wd.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
I've used my rear air suspension to level off in parking spots here and there. I noticed that the air suspension is either in full auto mode (while driving) or manual only when the parking brakes are on. Sometime I would like to back into a spot with a curb and would like to raise it before backing in. With the way it's setup, it's not possible. I've tried to stop short of the spot, pull the parking brake and raise the rear, then as soon as you let go of the parking brake and put it in reverse it beeps and starts to level off to the preset ride height. Are there other settings for a softer or firmer ride?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Seems like you could put a switch in the line to the parking brake switch to make the VB think the brake was set.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Ouray , Colorado
air suspension and 4wd

You can have both, you know. Just not from Mercedes directly. Advanced-RV in Cleveland can and does install the VB air suspension on the 4WD Sprinter. The problem on late model Interstates is that the propane generator is in the way. I am taking steps to eliminate mine with lithium batteries and use of the engine's alternator and solar. Not sure I will spring for the cost of the air suspension, though...
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #27

Currently Looking...
Whistler , British Columbia
2018 4wd interstate

Hi! So this is my very first post. Our family just decided on getting an airstream interstate to take some killer weekend/vacay trips on the road through Canada. I don't know much about cars/trucks/vehicles, but I was blindly insistent on 4wd because we are going to be driving through mountain passes and sometimes snowy conditions. What I didn't realize was that the 4wd would make our airstream higher off the ground (higher center of gravity) and way bumpier for my kids sitting in the back. Please tell me I didn't make a huge mistake and there are pros to having this 4wd!
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #28

Currently Looking...
Whistler , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralfarme View Post
You can have both, you know. Just not from Mercedes directly. Advanced-RV in Cleveland can and does install the VB air suspension on the 4WD Sprinter. The problem on late model Interstates is that the propane generator is in the way. I am taking steps to eliminate mine with lithium batteries and use of the engine's alternator and solar. Not sure I will spring for the cost of the air suspension, though...
Three questions:
1) would installing the air suspension on the 4wd make it taller? or more unstable?
2) is there an option to have 4wd as a option (like on suv's that only use 4wd when it is turned on)?
3)where do you recommend to go if we would like to replace our propane with other options?

Thank you!