Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
Interstate checklist

I am picking up my new 2011 Mercedes Interstate next week and am beginning to make a checklist since I am not mechanical at all. I am a pilot and have found using checklists very helpful. I thought I would make one for basic startup before a trip, breaking camp, one for use before I store it short term and long etc... Has anyone done the same?
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
For RVs, I have found the problem with checklists to be that the order in which things are done and indeed exactly what the right thing is to do to vary from one trip to the next.

I take more of a walk-around approach and also try to maintain my rig in a constant state of readiness by never removing tools, equipment, or supplies.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have a checklist for 'consumable' supplies. This includes obviously perishable things that get removed after each trip, but it also includes checking to make sure I have enough paper plates and napkins in the camper, too. I print it out a week or so ahead of a trip, then cross things off after I verify it's okay. I have sections of things that I don't need for some trips (for example, for winter trips, I usually take an electric heater but obviously I don't need that in August), and I just cross them out.

Otherwise, it's pretty much a walk-around like Jammer said.

A pre-flight list isn't a bad idea, though - make sure the fridge is latched, make sure the gas is off, make sure there's nothing in the microwave preventing the door from closing and thus dropping all its contents on the floor (yes, this happened to me once), etc. There are plenty more - I'd walk around once or twice with paper and pencil and watch for things and write them down.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Tires, brakes, engine, tranny,hitch, and lights. All safety items. If the brakes are bad or the engine overheats, or the tires blow out or the hitch brakes or the tranny quits, it really does not matter if the fridge door is closed correctly. Safety first. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Tires, brakes, engine, tranny,hitch, and lights. All safety items. If the brakes are bad or the engine overheats, or the tires blow out or the hitch brakes or the tranny quits, it really does not matter if the fridge door is closed correctly. Safety first. jim
One would hope the owner of a motorhome would be keeping up with those all the time, not just right before a trip. I mean, I treat my B190 like another vehicle - regular oil changes, check the tire pressure, check the lights, etc. If I need to take it somewhere I can usually just hop in and go, like any other vehicle.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
We use several check lists to varying degrees whenever we pack up and go. One necessitates a walk around when towing our Jeep four flat. Another reminds us to secure and stow everything properly so things don't become airborne or broken off when driving away.

Another one is more extensive and lists the contents of each cabinet or storage area of the MH. This one is very useful especially at the beginning of the season.

There is also a clothes list so that we don't forget essential items. Lastly, my DW has a food list that helps her to plan the menus.

Yeah, we like lists. Sometimes, I forget to go over them and that really gets my wife going, when I forget something.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Anyone care to share their lists?
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lists are pretty individualized.

I would suggest one for clothing and personal items you don't leave in your trailer (we leave fully stocked toiletry kits in the Interstate all season) and one with ingredients for at least several main meals to get you on the road.

We always carry a tool bag with all the basic items, also extra batteries, lightbulbs, etc. Get yourself basically stocked, look around and write down and add in anything you might need while gone.

Unless you are boondocking miles from anywhere, it is always easy to find a place to pick up left-behind items. And, you will find yourself carrying things you don't really need, which can be placed on a list of what to leave behind the next time.

Don't try to hard to get it all down pat at once, it's a process and not an event. Get out there and start enjoying yourself in that new Interstate, and things will work themselves out as you go along.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I strongly suspect that no two checklists would be the same. While we might start out with more-or-less identical Interstates, we each add different pieces and parts, and camp under different conditions. The pre-trip checklist for going to a KOA Kampground with full hookups will be different from the checklist for going boondocking in a national forest.

Not only that, but the contents of a checklist will also depend on your personal level of nit-pickiness. Some people would write broad-strokes general items, others would itemize every tiny detail.

I don't actually use written checklists. As I get older, I find that memory is one of those "use it or lose it" commodities, so I prefer to rely upon memory and common sense, as long as I still have (barely) enough of both for that to work. As they say, "When the memory goes, you can just forget it!"

Besides, if I relied upon checklists, and then forgot where I put the checklist, then I'd really be in trouble!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You also want a few basic cleaning items, for inside and out. Also something we leave in the Interstate the entire season.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Protagonist mentioned (on another post) to include a pipe wrench for loosening a stubborn dump station sewer cap. I have encountered a stubborn sewer cap on a couple of occasions and have recently purchased a pipe wrench to add to the tool bag.
yeziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Actually, checklists can be subdivided into two types:
1 - What to bring (shopping list/outfitting);
2 - What to do (instructions).
There are numerous threads on the Forums about what to bring on a trip. Not so many on how to set up or break down a campsite.

Do we want to concentrate on one type of checklist, or take a shotgun approach and hit both of them? Brentsouth, you started this. Which would you rather see?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
>Not so many on how to set up or break down a campsite.

Being newbies about to take a x-country trip, I'd love to see various versions of this list. First unhook this, then latch that, and so forth. All the systems, all the plugs and fuel. There's a lot to learn and remember.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Agree that everyone has a a unique and distinct list. Easy way to develop is to set up camp in the driveway and set up and break down a few times. Then fine tune as one does some real camping.

Re. on board tools, look for tools that serve more than one purpose:

10 in 1 screwdriver:
Amazon.com: Klein 32477 10-in-1 Screwdriver/Nut Driver: Home Improvement

Medium sized channel locks for removing stubborn fittings, pop beer bottle caps off, nut cracker and with tape on the tips to remove the chrome caps on the lug nuts.
Channellock 440 12-Inch Tongue and Groove Plier - Amazon.com
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiato View Post
Agree that everyone has a a unique and distinct list. Easy way to develop is to set up camp in the driveway and set up and break down a few times.
This was my thought.

But, then, I'm thinkin'......we oughta give the guy a list, here.

There really are no lessen like one's own lessons, tho, so IMO everyone should use the suggestion above, and make their own list.

We did this run-thru, writing everything down, then laminated it and used it every time for the first month or so. Be sure to have at the end of your list "retrieve and store all tools used".

Now, I handle the inside and Doug does a walk-around outside before we pull out.....but still leaves the cap to the discharge hose cubby off at the dump station on occasion, requiring an emergency purchase of one of those when we get to our next stop. Any other RV'er seeing that hose by the side of the road has himself a chuckle and remembers doing the same thing.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Now, I handle the inside and Doug does a walk-around outside before we pull out.....but still leaves the cap to the discharge hose cubby off at the dump station on occasion, requiring an emergency purchase of one of those when we get to our next stop. Any other RV'er seeing that hose by the side of the road has himself a chuckle and remembers doing the same thing.
Divide and conquer

Generally, my wife handles the inside stuff. I am tasked with the exterior set up and break down and as the resident tech geek/mechanic ensure all systems are go/no go or make them go. Only do one thing at a time and complete that task before moving on to the next. Helps keep one sane for sure.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Post trip list

When we came back from a cross country trip that was a month long, I figured that we had worked our stuff and perfected the rig placements.

Before I took everything out of the Motorhome (my current 345 model), I took pictures of all the storage spots. After I unloaded the MH, I took pictures of all the stuff on my counters. I peruse those pictures when I pack to see what i may have forgotten and to remind me of what not to take!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
When we came back from a cross country trip that was a month long, I figured that we had worked our stuff and perfected the rig placements.

Before I took everything out of the Motorhome (my current 345 model), I took pictures of all the storage spots. After I unloaded the MH, I took pictures of all the stuff on my counters. I peruse those pictures when I pack to see what i may have forgotten and to remind me of what not to take!
Wow, that's a great idea!

Maggie
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
pipe wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeziad View Post
Protagonist mentioned (on another post) to include a pipe wrench for loosening a stubborn dump station sewer cap. I have encountered a stubborn sewer cap on a couple of occasions and have recently purchased a pipe wrench to add to the tool bag.
Try buying a large pair of channel locks for taking off sewer cap, quick to adjust and less bulk. Also,can be used in an emergency to tighten hitch ball ect.
Pete
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote