Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
2013 Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT BIM Info

Info on my BIM below as requested:
  1. The Model Year of your Interstate? 2013 on 2012 Sprinter van
  2. Does you Interstate have a switch on the dash (just below the headlamp switch) to engage the Engine Start Assist feature? This is mentioned on page H-14 of the 2013 Owners Manual. YES
  3. Does your Interstate have the Precision Circuits BIM #00-10021-000? If not, what kind of BIM do you have? I think so, but I'll have to look closer to see the number
  4. Is there a wire connected to the DASH SWITCH terminal of your BIM? If yes, what color and does it have a marking like ST or some other marking? I'll have to check on this detail
  5. Can you say with certainty that your house batteries get charged reliably from the Sprinter alternator? How do you know this? Yes, just completed a 6 day trip to Michigan with fridge on all the time and no hook ups. Driving each day keep the coach batteries charged.
  6. Can you verify that your Sprinter battery gets charged when you are plugged into shore power? Not sure never checked -- I use the van a regular family hauler when not camping
Sorry I couldn't be more definite on details I'll try to check on them later this week.

- - Mike

Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
BIM Problem solved! I think.

I installed the new BIM sent by Airstream and initial tests indicate the charging system is working as specified. At least the coach batteries are charging from the alternator. I will be testing the other charging modes over the next few days. The new BIM was installed without connecting the gray ST wire to the "Dash Switch" terminal. I hope to find the other end of this wire and rig up my own dash switch as that function could come in handy should I inadvertently discharge the chassis battery.

It's great having the Trimetric monitor; it allows me to see exactly what's happening with the charging system and the state of both the coach and chassis batteries.

Happy Camper, so far!

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
McCook Lake , South Dakota
Interstate 2012 Mercedes 3500. Since it was purchased February 2012, the engine never would charge the house battery no matter what was switched. There is no dash switch. I think the 2013 model might have that. Frustrating and time consuming to solve problem. I had the local RV expert test everything but got no solution. Could not get any help from AS. Authorized service center is too far away. It was a serious problem when a couple of times when overnight the battery would run down so far that the generator would not start. The manual said to run the engine to charge the battery. That did not work. So on the isolation relay I wired it with a toggle switch. Now it charges when the switch is on. I just have to remember to turn it off so the engine battery would not run down. Probably not good advice, but I was desperate, the battery would run down on long trips and I would not have water pressure and the fridge would warm up.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Clifton , Virginia
So does shore power charge the chassis battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Info on my BIM below as requested:
  1. The Model Year of your Interstate? 2013 on 2012 Sprinter van
  2. Does you Interstate have a switch on the dash (just below the headlamp switch) to engage the Engine Start Assist feature? This is mentioned on page H-14 of the 2013 Owners Manual. YES
  3. Does your Interstate have the Precision Circuits BIM #00-10021-000? If not, what kind of BIM do you have? I think so, but I'll have to look closer to see the number
  4. Is there a wire connected to the DASH SWITCH terminal of your BIM? If yes, what color and does it have a marking like ST or some other marking? I'll have to check on this detail
  5. Can you say with certainty that your house batteries get charged reliably from the Sprinter alternator? How do you know this? Yes, just completed a 6 day trip to Michigan with fridge on all the time and no hook ups. Driving each day keep the coach batteries charged.
  6. Can you verify that your Sprinter battery gets charged when you are plugged into shore power? Not sure never checked -- I use the van a regular family hauler when not camping
Sorry I couldn't be more definite on details I'll try to check on them later this week.

- - Mike
Didn't mean to resurrect this old thread, but does anyone know for sure if the chassis battery gets charged when plugged into shore power? I'm currently using a plug-in trickle charger to charge the chassis battery when not starting engine for a couple weeks or longer. Just wanted to know if this was necessary. Oh, I also have the 2013/2012 3500 EXT. Thanks!
BTW, I'm a newbie and have been doing a lot of reading here. Been very helpful! Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute someday...
Old 10-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I have a 2013/2012 Airstream Interstate EXT. The chassis battery does indeed charge while on shore power.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Clifton , Virginia
Good to know, Thank you!!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #21

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's the way it works on mine. House batteries charge from engine alternator while driving, with the inverter switched completely off, on "charge only" or on "auto/invert."
It works the same way on my 2013 AI.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrdad View Post
Didn't mean to resurrect this old thread, but does anyone know for sure if the chassis battery gets charged when plugged into shore power? I'm currently using a plug-in trickle charger to charge the chassis battery when not starting engine for a couple weeks or longer. Just wanted to know if this was necessary. Oh, I also have the 2013/2012 3500 EXT. Thanks!

BTW, I'm a newbie and have been doing a lot of reading here. Been very helpful! Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute someday...

Yes - your Battery Isolator (BIM) will keep your Sprinter chassis battery charged when you are plugged into shore power.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The generator also charges the chassis battery.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #24

2012 Interstate Coach
Middletown , Delaware
Battery isolation manager fix

Thanks to this thread I was able to isolate and fix my battery isolation problem. Here were the symptoms:
While engine was running the solar charge panel showed battery capacity (house battery) of 85%, whereas it used to show 100% with the engine running. The tank test / battery test showed chassis battery charge at 14.12 volts engine running, but house battery at 12.97. Knowing a thing or two about D.C. electricity, when circuits are connected the voltages must be the same.
The problem is the fridge or the inverter would drain and kill the house battery ona road trip with the engine not replenishing the house battery.
The battery isolation manager on my 2012 AI is two parts as one assembly, a SurePower manager attached to a large Trombetta relay. With the engine running the large (load circuit) posts showed the same voltages as above, 14 on one post and 12.9 on the other. The smaller (control circuit) posts showed 12.5 on one post and a good ground on the other. In electrical speak, the relay was being told to close but it was not closing. So I amazoned the relay (part number 114-1211-020) and installed it. Problem resolved.
Thanks for the great reads above everybody...you helped me fix something years after your discussion.