Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Interstate carport kits

Does anyone have experience with Carport Kits to shelter their Interstate? I'm in the Portland, Oregon area and I've not been able to locate any outfits that install what they sell. Many kits are available, not so much on installers.

Any help here is appreciated.
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I shopped and shopped carports and ended up buying a ShelterLogic from Northern Tool and Freight. While, it's not a metal carport, it does the job well, is built strong and holds up to the weather.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I shopped and shopped carports and ended up buying a ShelterLogic from Northern Tool and Freight. While, it's not a metal carport, it does the job well, is built strong and holds up to the weather.
What size did you get?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rv guy View Post
Does anyone have experience with Carport Kits to shelter their Interstate? I'm in the Portland, Oregon area and I've not been able to locate any outfits that install what they sell. Many kits are available, not so much on installers.
When searching for installers, the right keywords make a difference. Try searching for "metal building system installers." A carport is nothing more than a pre-engineered metal building system with a roof but no sides (or with roof and sides but no door).
Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When searching for installers, the right keywords make a difference. Try searching for "metal building system installers." A carport is nothing more than a pre-engineered metal building system with a roof but no sides (or with roof and sides but no door).
One warning, if you do a lightweight metal carport with sides and only one opening it can be subject to wind damage. The wind can come in and with nowhere to go the pressure can lift the roof panels off. Happens to mobile home carports all the time when the homeowner closes of the end and side of a carport. Leave both ends open for safety.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mooresville , North Carolina
14' x 30' flat pan Airstream Port...

Sharing what I did for a shelter.

I wanted something for the AI to cover it up. Bought this kit from a company in SC for approx $3800. I have another $1500 in prep work footings and concrete. I put it up myself. (Charlotte Awning wanted $16,000 just for the shelter and no concrete work) I added black mesh screen off Amazon vendor for $40 for the rear 13 x 10 and $70 for the side 20 x 10. Does a nice job. I have the rear mesh on shower curtain hangars and a removable pole on the one side. I can simply push the pole over like a shower curtain to the one side.
A little bit of landscaping remaining to complete the job.
Eventually I will most likely close this in with heat & AC.

As a side note, my septic tank is in the mulch next to the shelter. I added extension pipes and a 3" adapter, so I can very easily empty the tanks where it is parked.

I also have 50amp service (before the AI had several 50amp RVs).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4820.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	303317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4818.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	303318