Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Responding to the questions posed regarding our RakAttach and Thule Pro bike rack setup....Yes, our setup allows for moving the rack and bikes to the driver side of the vehicle. Very handy each night I move the loaded bikes aside and then set up by opening rear doors and pulling cables, etc from the inside.

Someone suggested we may have used the RakAttach in an upside down position, which is not accurate as there is no way I wanted to alter the load design. As noted in another posting, Walter and the team from RakAttach can provide a driver side solution as well as passenger side solutions.

There also were questions about measurements for height above ground as well as added extension. The RA and the Thule both remain at AI hitch height, so no piece of the attachments extend at a lower level. I do estimate the RA adds about six inches of distance from the AI hitch to the Thule that would not be the situation if the Thule were attached directly to the AI. The Thule itself clearly adds a couple feet to the end of the vehicle when in loaded position. We do have the VBAir on our AI Grand Tour which certainly helps with weight management and distance from the ground. BUT, I am very careful when driving across roads and turns where there is a depression that may result in the vehicle bottoming out near the back of the vehicle and bike rack. We recently drove 3,000 miles Asheville to Vermont and back and never really had an issue. Like most things with the vehicle, you have make good choices on route and be observant.

Hope this response helps. We are off to Saint Augustine tomorrow for the Christmas display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2593.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	276451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2592.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	276452  

mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lady Lake , Florida
We are now in St Augustine. Did the Christmas light trolley last night. We drive the car, not the AI. Will keep a lookout for you on the streets today.
M and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Continuing the Bike Rack saga:

OK - now that we've carried our bikes for a year on a Kuat Beta, we've concluded that the weather is detrimental and covers really don't work well. Additionally we've just ordered two Evelo Quest Max folding electric bikes on a 10 day home trial. So, I've resumed my search for a suitable transport solution. While the bikes fold, they are not truly small enough to store/carry inside the Interstate from what I can figure. Seems no one recommends the rear cargo door approach, including Surco or Precision Design or Mercedes (or my wife - very important factor!).
So, to keep the bikes out of the weather and away from prying eyes, I have started considering cargo carriers or cargo boxes. Seems the Stowaway Max Cargo Box is a potential good solution, if the two bikes will fit (weight load is acceptable, each bike is 51 lbs) inside the Stowaway. A picture is attached, and I am wondering if anyone is using this transport solution, with - or without - bikes.

What I am trying to determine is with the Stowaway swung out towards the passenger side, how much access does one have to the inside where we stow all our gear?

Other comments, suggested solutions welcomed as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interstate:stowaway.png
Views:	146
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	305933  
Old 03-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Did you find this other thread during your searches? It has a lot of chat about boxes generally.

To answer your question, as I understand it, the Stowaway partially blocks the curb-side door. When I called Stowaway to inquire why it blocked the active rather than the passive door, I was told that their lawyers instructed them not to make any device that could potentially swing into the active lane of traffic. Which makes a little sense if the only shoulder is the right shoulder, but of course on divided highways, that's not the case.

If you have very specific storage needs, particularly if the storage of expensive goods such as bikes is involved, I would recommend that you consider a custom hitch container (the Stowaway can be opened with a crowbar in under 5 seconds). Find the right hobby welder and it might not be that expensive. My husband and I made our own because we wanted to carry a Yeti cooler, plus a gas can, plus at times swap the Yeti out for a pressure washer, etc. etc. The job cost us about $100 for materials, and we did our own labor.

The good news is that it looks like the price of the Stowaway has fallen since this was last discussed on this forum. About $800 on Amazon. But you could get a lot of labor for $700 and a much better product if you found the right welder person.

Our DIY job shown below, and here are explanatory blog posts 1, 2, and 3:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Joe View Post
Scott: I started out wanting to tow a Smart Car so we could have ready transportation without breaking down the AI -- and thought then we could carry folding (electric?) bikes as well - in other words lots of options. But, not sure I want to tow anything yet -- probably still new to all this as we purchased our AI in January 2016. Time will tell. Thanks for the mention of a tow trailer. jch
I tow a Smart. Costs about 1/2 to 1 1/2 mpg depending on terrain. Other than that, I have to look in the rear view monitor to know it is back there. I have been able to back short distances when necessary with it hitched. I use wireless tow lights and I installed a battery disconnect in the Smart as well as the base plate. The Smart dies not register miles while towing.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
East Hampton , Connecticut
I ordered a RakAttach and love it. You have an option of ordering one that swings left or right and I choose left - works great. I also researched extensively bike racks. Before buying a Thule you need to check out KUAT. The quality of these racks are superb and their service is excellent! Bought the 4 rack option from etrailer. http://www.kuatracks.com/
Jererae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Joe View Post
Anyone using the Surco Sprinter rear door ladder to carry one or two bikes; especially folding bikes. My wife and I are not in agreement over door vs. hitch options. I want the door as I want regular easy access to the rear. My wife is concerned she will not be able to reach up to hang her bike on the lower ladder rungs. Not finding much on the web. Any experience with the Surco ladder and bikes on it would be welcomed....
I do realize the ladder will limit the ability of the door to fold completely around, but that is not as much an issue as the need to remove the bikes and hitch every time we camp for a night just to get to the chairs, bbq and more that we store in the rear.
Wondering also how much weight one of the rear doors will handle with the ladder, 2 bikes (maybe electric folding) etc...
Thanks
AI Joe
If you only have two bikes, the Thule Vertex 2 or the Yakima Ridgeback 2 are really the most hassle free and easiest to handle bike racks. They are well built, (important if you want to take a trip to Alaska) with one click you do a partial fold down and you can open the doors. This type rack goes on and comes of the hitch quick and with ease. One little drawback, some ferries charge you for the extra length.

You can install this rack onto a dual hitch receiver and still pull a boat, or have a platform for other items

The Surco ladder is ill fitting for the MB Sprinter, good chance to damage the door. This ladder will not handle bikes of weight. I give it one star.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I posted this in another thread, but very pleased with the Rakattach.
I chose a passenger side swing, but they make both ways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	276187B9-27CB-4048-952C-535D25F4270B.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	305964   Click image for larger version

Name:	B883893E-194E-4EA7-A81D-52C90DAC6558.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	305965  

Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota

Name:	IMG_0685.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	776.5 KB
ID:	306050I built this to fit our needs. Door access is hindered, but not eliminated.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote