Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
All good information, because I am new to this, and have been trying to understand how the solar controller works. I got some really great information from the manufacturer, including some helpful troubleshooting tips. However, some of the tests are run at the batteries.
So, here's the question: In my Grand Tour, I believe the batteries are carefully concealed under the driver's side small sideways-facing seat, under a white hardboard panel. So, can anyone help with how I get access? It seems to me the only way is to remove the seat bottom, and it looks like 4 bolts are all that hold it down. Am I on the right track, or I there an easier way?
BillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoy View Post
So, here's the question: In my Grand Tour, I believe the batteries are carefully concealed under the driver's side small sideways-facing seat, under a white hardboard panel.
I believe you're mistaken. On all Sprinter 3500-based Interstates that I know of that have a rear sofa, the sideways seats are over the wheelwells and there's no room there for a battery box. It's probably under the sofa. On my 2012 it's on the passenger side and the water heater is on the driver's side, with the inverter/charger in the middle.
Quote:
So, can anyone help with how I get access? It seems to me the only way is to remove the seat bottom, and it looks like 4 bolts are all that hold it down. Am I on the right track, or I there an easier way?
Extended models have a slide-out tray that holds two batteries side-by-side for easy access through the passenger-side rear door. Non-extended models have a battery box that holds two batteries stacked one on top of the other. If you are unfortunate enough to have one of those, you DO have to disassemble the sofa to get at the battery box.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Protagonist: Thanks for all the detail, but I believe this must all have changed with the 2015 Grand Tour layout. There isn't anything under the rear wide sofa except open space for storage. I'll look again to be sure, but when the inside access cabinet doors are opened, you can see straight out the back of the coach. I have stuff stored on either side of the metal support frame, so I can't imagine there's room for batteries there either. I'll look again in a few minutes, but they're either very small or there's a "cloaking device" that makes them invisible.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I haven't worked on a '15 Grand Tour yet, but it's possible that your batteries have been moved to the underside of the coach. I have seen this recently with some other Sprinter conversions.

Please keep us informed when/if you find them.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Protagonist: So, I just checked again. Under the center of the wide sofa, there's nothing at all, straight shot out the back. On the driver's side under that sofa, you're right, there is something, but it's the water tank and heater. So, the only place left is under the small seat on that side.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Protagonist: Thanks for all the detail, but I believe this must all have changed with the 2015 Grand Tour layout.
Keep us informed; won't be the first time I've been wrong (or sadly, the last, either). I'm always willing to learn something new. But I still think that the side-facing seats are over the wheelwells even if I'm wrong about the battery box location.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Keep us informed; won't be the first time I've been wrong (or sadly, the last, either). I'm always willing to learn something new. But I still think that the side-facing seats are over the wheelwells even if I'm wrong about the battery box location.
BillyBoy is correct, Protag. I have taken a look at a new Grand Tour down in Phoenix, and they have managed to stuff the batteries in the compartment under the driver's side jump seat.
From what I remember, to get to the batteries, it's a combination of lifting the jump seat (as if you're making the bed) but stopping half way. And in addition, the front panel under the jump seat pulls out. I think that also reveals the breaker box, and other stuff.
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #28

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
BillyBoy is correct, Protag. I have taken a look at a new Grand Tour down in Phoenix, and they have managed to stuff the batteries in the compartment under the driver's side jump seat.
From what I remember, to get to the batteries, it's a combination of lifting the jump seat (as if you're making the bed) but stopping half way. And in addition, the front panel under the jump seat pulls out. I think that also reveals the breaker box, and other stuff.
Huh. That's me, wrong twice in twenty minutes. Not even a record performance for me. Well, good to know. I'd sure like to see pictures of the battery layout, though, for future reference.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Yes, the side facing seats are over the wheel well (mostly). There is an access door on the front under the base of the seat, and behind that is a shallow compartment with the manual battery cutoff switch and the AC breaker panel. If I partially raise the seat, I can just about see other electronic components under an access panel made up of hardboard and wire grill material. So, with all that electrical stuff, I'm assuming the batteries are also nearby, even though there isn't much height left that I can see when you take the wheel well into account. Maybe lewster is right, and they are actually partially or completely below floor level, in effect under the coach.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I have had the 'pleasure' many times of removing the stacked battery box on earlier model Interstates when adding solar and larger batteries.

I'll have to get into one of the new Grand Tour models to see how much the level of accessibility has been decreased by Airstream. They seem to have a knack for making access to anything as difficult as possible!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 10-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Here's the result: lewster wins the prize. The batteries are actually under the coach, at the rear, driver's side, just aft of the wheel well. Looks like two bolts on either side of each individual battery box will release them. Interesting...they're standing on edge, but apparently acceptable for AGMs. Exactly how I get under there is another story.....
Old 10-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If they are inside the coach, you should be able to see a small vent on the outside near the batteries.

If they're under the coach, they should be visible, at least the box that holds them.

Edit: Oops, I see you found them. They may still come out from inside the coach.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Here's the result: lewster wins the prize. The batteries are actually under the coach, at the rear, driver's side, just aft of the wheel well. Looks like two bolts on either side of each individual battery box will release them. Interesting...they're standing on edge, but apparently acceptable for AGMs. Exactly how I get under there is another story.....
Put something under them to take the strain off the bolts before you attempt to release the batteries; they're heavy! Especially if they're a larger size than the Group 24s the rest of us have.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
From past experience with this battery orientation on other Sprinter based coaches, you will need a floor jack (actually a motorcycle jack or hydraulic table works better) to first; relieve the pressure on the mounting bolts and second; actually lower the batteries.

If they are side mounted, then the cables should also (hopefully) be exposed to allow for disconnect before dropping them.