Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
I solved my issue (trailer hookup) by purchasing an IBall Hitch Camera. It came today and although I haven't tried it, it looks like a quality built product.

I ordered mine directly from Iball's website: iballhitchcam.com. Use promo code TAKE30 to get 30% off making the price $139 with free shipping. I'm usually by myself when hooking up my trailer that I haul my Harley in so i'm constantly running to the back of my AI to check the alignment and distance. Problem solved.

Bill - you reminded me that a wireless camera is a good option. I looked at them when I added cameras to my Interstate. But I wanted one that would interface with the Kenwood software and switch on when shifting to reverse. I couldn't find one that would integrate well with the Kenwood. You certainly can add a wireless camera that will display on the Kenwood using the camera video input! It just won't have all the available features. The camera mounted on the rear door will still require a 12V power connection, but overall the installation would be easier.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #42
Mitou

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Brevard , North Carolina
How did the new Kenwood work and was it replaced under warranty instead of having to just replace the one that came with it.
Mitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #43
Mitou

Brevard , North Carolina
Navigation

Does anyone use a non in dash navigation system to keep it simple when something goes wrong and just a receiver in the dash to replace a poor/non working kenwood?
Mitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitou View Post
Does anyone use a non in dash navigation system to keep it simple when something goes wrong and just a receiver in the dash to replace a poor/non working kenwood?
Mine didn't have a built-in Nav, so I used a Garmin and found that it was easier to use and better than the one in my 2010 Tahoe.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
I use my Android phone with a vent holder with Google maps. The combination allows me to use them at different zoom levels and back up for each other. Many times I have lost cell reception making the Google map useless and I relied on the Garmin. Inversely, due to lack of traffic info, the Garmin in Kenwood can steer me wrong which Google maps avoids. The phone's display is also nicer and is more visible.

So whatever I replace the Kenwood with, I would opt to have navigation in it.

If you mean using a stand-alone navigation, no, I would not opt for that as it would just duplicate what is in the Kenwood. And the Kenwood for just navigation is fine. It is the rest of the unit which is a horror to use.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I use the Copilot Navigation app on my iPhone for backup GPS. It does not require cell data coverage as the map data is built into the app. It costs $12 from App Store for full North America coverage. I've used it all over Northern Canada and in Alaska. Works great and recalculated fast.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
I just replaced the non working Kenwood with a Pioneer 4300 head unit with Apple CarPlay without nav and added a Garmin 70 Drivesmart. Both worked great but it is a bit more hassle with two separate devices.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #48

Lee's Summit , Missouri
Kenwood Radio in Interstate 2016

So frustrating but relieved to know I am not alone. I am puzzled why Airstream didn’t do more research before they selected the wrong system. I have 10,000 miles on mine and wondering if anyone has heard if Airstream will do a replacement with or without a cost? My warranty is still active. Thanks all.
Pill Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #49
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I still listen to CDs on my Kenwood, but I use a large-screen, dash-top Garman for navigation. The Garman accepts input for dimensions of the AI and came with lifetime maps that update about monthly. Before each trip, I plug the Garman into my desktop and make whatever updates that are called for. The latest update picked up a brand new road in our area.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Roller View Post
So frustrating but relieved to know I am not alone. I am puzzled why Airstream didn’t do more research before they selected the wrong system. I have 10,000 miles on mine and wondering if anyone has heard if Airstream will do a replacement with or without a cost? My warranty is still active. Thanks all.
Unless it is physically broken, they won't do anything about it. The have switched away to Fusion brand in the last couple of years.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote