Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Interstate 2016 Kenwood Radio- Being Replaced

Part of the problem in the day time may be wearing polarized sunglasses. The screen usually has a polarizing surface as well so the screen can be difficult to read. Try looking at the screen with your dark glasses on and tilting your head. If the screen is easier to read with your head tilted then at least part of the problem is the crossed polarization. This can be a problem on cellphones and other computer screens as well.

Dennis

Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis3751 View Post
Part of the problem in the day time may be wearing polarized sunglasses. The screen usually has a polarizing surface as well so the screen can be difficult to read. Try looking at the screen with your dark glasses on and tilting your head. If the screen is easier to read with your head tilted then at least part of the problem is the crossed polarization. This can be a problem on cellphones and other computer screens as well.

Dennis

That is definitely part of the problem. I mocked up a hood using poster board and it definitely helped. Looks like I will be visiting with my son this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis3751 View Post

Dennis

Yes the screen is polarized and when I wear my polarized sun glasses the display is very dark. Interesting I can turn my head a bit and the display becomes brighter.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
I don't know if it would help on the Kenwoods, but I have an anti-glare screen protector on my Pioneer. You can make your own out of a screen protector for an iPad or for any other tablet. Be sure to get one that doesn't require wetting the screen to apply it. Once you've bought it, just cut it to fit and put it on.

If it doesn't work or you don't like it, they're easy to peel off.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I can't speak to the issues expressed about the Kenwood DDN992 since I have the older Kenwood DNX7190HD. Mine has some flaws, but generally works well. It is slow to recalculate a GPS Nav route, but has traffic data which has saved me from getting caught in big backups many times. I regularly use Bluetooth to pair to my iPhone or my iPad to listen to audio books while driving. I've updated the software twice and the Map data once since new. I now have over 65,000 miles without major problems with this Kenwood. I'd give mine a4 rating on 1-5 scale.

Last year I added a second rear camera just above the rear license plate for a better view of objects close to the van when backing. It is a Kenwood camera that give guide line like a lot of OEM backup cameras. Here is a screen shot.
Attachment 260210

- - Mike
This camera is exactly what we need. Could you tell me where you got it and if the sellers could install it as we are not mechanically inclined.
Thanks Gloria
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghayes View Post
This camera is exactly what we need. Could you tell me where you got it and if the sellers could install it as we are not mechanically inclined.

Thanks Gloria

Hi Gloira - I bought the camera from Amazon and installed it myself. Here is link to Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-CMOS-3.../dp/B007M9ZBG0

Kenwood also makes other cameras in their CMOS series that work with the software in the Kenwood head unit. Their latest is the CMOS-320 seen at this site.
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...ltimedia/cmos/

Installation was a bit of a challenge as the wiring provided with the camera is not long enough to reach from the rear door to the dash center console. I had to splice in an extension to make it work. I threaded the wires though the rubber boot at the hinge point on driver side rear door and then along the bottom of the windows on driver's side. Then dropped the wires down and ran them under the flooring at driver's seat and up into the dash. Here is a photo of the camera mounted near the rear license plate close to the center of the van.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1460734265.238524.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	260769

Any good Automotive Audio shop should be able to make this installation for you.

Hope this helps,

- - Mike
Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Unfortunately my brightness setting was already at the max. I did use the contrast and black settings to add more definition to the screen. My son recently bought a 3D printer. I am going to see if he can design a hood to go around the screen to reduce the amount of direct light.

Have you tried using the motorized screen tilt feature? I was able to eliminate much of the glare by just tilting the screen down a few degrees.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnvabeach View Post
Have you tried using the motorized screen tilt feature? I was able to eliminate much of the glare by just tilting the screen down a few degrees.

Yes I have and that helps. I found a hood online last night. I'll let everyone know how it works once I receive it.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Yes I have and that helps. I found a hood online last night.
Link?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Link?
I was going to give the link after I made sure it worked. It is made for a portable unit but it appears that it could be modified to work on our Kenwood's. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Univer.../dp/B00G9XF0TS
Old 04-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Thank you so much for the information I will try to order one and then find an auto shop to install it for me.
Gloria
Old 04-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Hi Gloira - I bought the camera from Amazon and installed it myself. Here is link to Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-CMOS-3.../dp/B007M9ZBG0

Kenwood also makes other cameras in their CMOS series that work with the software in the Kenwood head unit. Their latest is the CMOS-320 seen at this site.
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...ltimedia/cmos/

Installation was a bit of a challenge as the wiring provided with the camera is not long enough to reach from the rear door to the dash center console. I had to splice in an extension to make it work. I threaded the wires though the rubber boot at the hinge point on driver side rear door and then along the bottom of the windows on driver's side. Then dropped the wires down and ran them under the flooring at driver's seat and up into the dash. Here is a photo of the camera mounted near the rear license plate close to the center of the van.
Attachment 260769

Any good Automotive Audio shop should be able to make this installation for you.

Hope this helps,

- - Mike
I solved my issue (trailer hookup) by purchasing an IBall Hitch Camera. It came today and although I haven't tried it, it looks like a quality built product.
I ordered mine directly from Iball's website: iballhitchcam.com. Use promo code TAKE30 to get 30% off making the price $139 with free shipping. I'm usually by myself when hooking up my trailer that I haul my Harley in so i'm constantly running to the back of my AI to check the alignment and distance. Problem solved.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
I solved my issue (trailer hookup) by purchasing an IBall Hitch Camera. It came today and although I haven't tried it, it looks like a quality built product.

I ordered mine directly from Iball's website: iballhitchcam.com. Use promo code TAKE30 to get 30% off making the price $139 with free shipping. I'm usually by myself when hooking up my trailer that I haul my Harley in so i'm constantly running to the back of my AI to check the alignment and distance. Problem solved.

Bill - you reminded me that a wireless camera is a good option. I looked at them when I added cameras to my Interstate. But I wanted one that would interface with the Kenwood software and switch on when shifting to reverse. I couldn't find one that would integrate well with the Kenwood. You certainly can add a wireless camera that will display on the Kenwood using the camera video input! It just won't have all the available features. The camera mounted on the rear door will still require a 12V power connection, but overall the installation would be easier.

- - Mike
Old 07-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #42
Mitou

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Brevard , North Carolina
How did the new Kenwood work and was it replaced under warranty instead of having to just replace the one that came with it.