Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Interstate 2014.5 back up alarm

We upgraded our 2013 interstate to a 2014.5 ext last spring. We are enjoying it but have been frustrated with a couple of features. The 2014s have the warning systems for vehicles on your left or right, staying in your lane, and front and rear warning lights and audible sounds for all of them. Our question is...The audible alarm for backing up is very soft sound and not useful. I already back into a fence. We normally have one of us outside for backing situations, but I was alone for that fence situation. We have been to the RV dealer we purchased from and the Mercedes Dealership in Atlanta. They say its not adjustable and they are all the same for that model. Has anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
GAGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGal View Post
Our question is...The audible alarm for backing up is very soft sound and not useful. I already back into a fence. We normally have one of us outside for backing situations, but I was alone for that fence situation.
My 2012 doesn't have a back-up alarm. But even though you've got one, you should never rely upon it. That's what the fisheye-lens rear camera is for. If you had been watching your monitor, you probably would have seen the fence before you hit it.

It takes practice to use that rear-view camera reliably. If I may suggest, go to a shopping mall early on a Sunday, and practice backing into parking spaces while no one is around. Don't back into ones with curbs, just ones with painted outlines. Watch the camera to see how the outlines look as you're backing slowly, and try to stop exactly when the paint stripe at the end of the parking space just barely disappears off the bottom edge of the monitor. Then get out and look to see how far away you are from the painted line. Once you get a feel for that distance, backing using the rearview camera will be a lot easier, and you won't even need that alarm unless some numbskull steps behind you as you're backing.

That's how I learned, anyway, and it worked for me. As a solo traveler, I'm usually backing without a spotter, so I had no choice but to learn the quirks of the camera to guide me.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Also, use the lights on the side view mirrors. You will notice as you are getting closer to an object that the yellow dots will light up in succession as you get closer. Once the red light lights up, STOP.

Always back up with a helper watching if you can. If you are by yourself, use the lights and the rear view monitor and also do not hesitate to stop, put it in park, put the emergency brake on, and get out to have a look see. Doesn't take long and is much less expensive than not looking.

My audible warning is plenty loud enough for me to hear with the radio turned down.

FYI, the monitor in the middle of the dash near the windshield has the yellow and red lights for the front of the vehicle.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
GAGal: Welcome to the Airforums.

Another thing to be aware of when backing is the propane fill box located behind the curbside rear wheels. It reduces ground clearance to a few inches and will not clear most curbs. Don't ask how I know.

I added distance marks on my Pyle monitor to give me an idea of just how close objects/vehicles are.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Well I guess I need to clarify. We have driven an AI over 15000 miles the past two years. The new 2014.5 for 5000. Our two personal vehicles have back up alarms that go crazy if your anywhere near a foreign object and don't stop until the situation changes. This $100000.00 plus vehicles has very nice lights in the side rear view mirrors, but the audible alarm is barely, barely, barely audible and stops after a few seconds. The other alarms that came with the 2014.5 get your attention straight away, especially like the ones keeping you aware of your blind spots!!!

So he and I where just wondering if this makes since, and yes we can drive with out it because we have been to the Pacific Ocean and to the Atlantic Ocean without it. But we paid for something that is useless.

We love our AI and have learned a lot of good information from this Forum. Just looking for a fix.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If you are close to an Airstream dealer, you might check out one to see if the "silent" alarm is normal. It might be something as simple as a bad speaker unless other alerts use the same one and sound normal.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Maybe they made the backup sensor alarm louder for 2015? I can hear mine loud and clear. Not sure where the sound is coming from though, so will have to pay a little closer attention next time I drive her.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not sure where the speaker is either but my Tahoe uses the A-pillar tweeter on the driver's side which works surprisingly well.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
If you are close to an Airstream dealer, you might check out one to see if the "silent" alarm is normal. It might be something as simple as a bad speaker unless other alerts use the same one and sound normal.
Yes if you looked at my first blog, we have talked to two dealers face to face. They just had that "deer in the head lights look." We have a number for a gentleman at airstream who may have an answer. If we get one I'll report back.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Jim Parrett 937-596-6111 X7409

Randy McNeeley 937-596-6111 X7411

0800-1700 EST

Sorry I forgot about your earlier post of talking w/ a dealer.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Thanks 73shark for the ##'s..!!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You're welcome. I've found them both to be helpful in the past. YMMV

Old 10-04-2014, 04:54 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Framingham , Massachusetts
I have the 2015 and I also noticed warning sound when backing up soft.
I have to turn the radio volume down.
In the MB Guide app , you can turn the volume down but not up
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412419970.238535.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	223533
gambita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
That is not the same thing. That is the audible beeping that sounds when a delivery truck is backing up.