2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ashburn , Virginia
Is your Fusion radio wired wrong?

2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Getting ready to convert from the BIM to the ACR. I will install the switch right there under the jump seat next to the fuse panel. Since I am not running wires to the dash there are some changes to Wachuko's wiring instructions.

I have laid everything out and studied Wachuko's list while looking at the schematic. I want to measure twice and cut once so I am pausing to double check my approach. Can anyone let me know if I am making any mistakes with this wiring approach:

1. BIM Gen Set (gray) wire to green ACR with added 2 amp fuse
2. BIM Ignition (white) to brown ACR
3. BIM Dash wire (gray) abandoned - no connection
4. BIM Ground (white) to black ACR AND switch #1 (is that an OK approach or should I pull ground from somewhere else?)
5. Orange ACR abandoned - no connection
6. Yellow ACR to switch #7
7. Red ACR to switch #2
8. switch #3 jumped to switch #8
9. switch #8 to ACR coach terminal A using 3/8" ring connector with added 2 amp fuse.
10. Just confirming that both cables on the BIM coach battery terminal are moved to terminal A on the ACR. One is only 6" long so probably need to replace it given the new ACR terminal location below.

Also, I recall reading someone's post on the logistics of getting the ACR into the area where the smaller BIM is located. Not to mention the coach and chassis terminals are reversed and the short stubby cable on the coach terminal is not long enough to move. Did others move the large Magnum forward closer to the bathroom bulkhead and install the ACR sideways with terminals pointing towards the driver seat? Or did you move the ground terminal and battery switch further outboard and install the ACR with terminals pointing inboard?

Thanks for all your coaching and guidance.

Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #31
Contributing Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The ACR is symetric. It doesn't matter a bit which of the heavy battery cables go on which post. It works exactly the same either way.

In my 2014.5, everything is in a box under the couch and there was plenty of room for everything. Worst thing is that whole area looked like a bowl of spaghetti due to the sloppiness of Airstream wiring. I miss the days when I was prototyping hardware with IBM where all the cables were beautifully laced and labeled.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Finally started the conversion process this afternoon and ran into a problem in the very first step. The BIM studs and ring connectors on the battery cables are too small to fit on the ACR. ACR needs 3/8". Has anyone attempted to drill out the battery cable connections for the larger stud?

Also, I found another orange/red wire with a fuse connected to the chassis stud on the BIM. If I understand the Airstream schematics this looks like it goes to the battery monitor. Should I keep that on the new ACR connection?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #33
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
On that wire... can you take photos of the area?

On the terminal, you are correct... and I forgot about that. Since I was moving a few things around I to accommodate the solar charger controller as well, I had to make another cable and just used the correct size terminals. But for one of the cables that I did not needed to change, I just drilled the terminal to size. You need a helper to hold that terminal tight with pliers or something... to avoid the drill bit getting stuck and the torque of the drill pulling hard.

You have the updated write up I did??

Here it is just in case:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2083406
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Wachuko, .

Will drill out the cable connectors. I plan on clamping each one to a piece of 2x2 wood for support while drilling.

I used your write up as my baseline to jump into this project. Since I am installing the switch right under the jump seat and not running wires to the dash I noted some changes to your write up that is a few posts above this one.

I will take a pic tonight on the extra wire on the BIM terminal post. It is a smaller gage (12-14?) and has an inline fuse.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #35

Orlando , Florida
I have left over cable and terminals... if you need something, just ask . But ask fast , we head out Thursday and are not back until the 4th.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Here is a pic of the second wire on the BIM. It has a 2 amp fuse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM Chassis Cable 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	315124   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM Chassis Cable 1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	315125  

Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #37

Orlando , Florida
Yes. I had it as well... Just keep it connected in the same way.

WBCCI #26769