Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Interior Outlets - inverter powered

I have a 2012 Interstate Extended Lounge version. 3 of my outlets do not work when on the inverter.

When the inverter is on, the following outlets work

1. Front TV outlet
2. Rear TV outlet
3. GFI outlet behind the driver's seat

The 3 other outlets do not work when on the inverter (the galley outlet above the stove top, the outlet in front of the rear lounge and the exterior outlet). Interestingly, these outlets are part of the GFI outlet circuit (#3 above). The 20 amp circuit breaker that controls then is on (not tripped), but pushing the TEST button has no effect. The GFI outlet is on (not tripped), but I am able to trip that outlet by pushing the outlet TEST button.

If I'm on shore power, or generator, all works fine.

I asked Airstream about this today and was told it was normal. Everything is functioning correctly. Does that sound right? How do other's Interstate's act?

BTW, as listed in some other threads (and possibly the Yahoo group), my refrigerator works with the Inverter off (or on).

BTW #2. Thanks to this group, I found out that I am indeed subject to the recall dealing with the batter/electrical cover issues under the rear lounge. For some unexplained reason at this point, Airstream does not know why I was not notified. I look forward to getting it addressed ASAP.

Overall, we love our rig. It needed some mods and customization, but has been a real treat to have. We feel fortunate to have it. I'll get my mods posted soon.
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have a trailer but the inverter power is very limited, and only intended to power such items as TV and computer, so inverter service is limited to these outlets. Sounds like might be normal.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
For my 2010 Interstate, the manual says "Circuit 4. 20 Amp, goes through inverter to refrigerator receptacle, middle roadside receptacle, entertainment center receptacles, and main TV.
Circuit 5. 20 Amp. microwave" Your rig may be different.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I think your electrical system is functioning normally. The inverter only powers some receptacles.
The refrigerator works because the controls for it are powered by your batteries and it probably works automatically on propane when 120v is not available.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
T-Dan, the refers in the Interstate work on DC or 120v AC but not on propane.

But you are right in saying that the system is working normally; as I said earlier only some of the 120v outlets work off if the inverter.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
I have a very early 2013 lounge and thought they were defective as well. Brought it to the dealer and was told the same thing. "The other outlets only operate on generator or shore power"

What was the recall issue? My dealer called and said mentioned there was a recall, but they didn't give specifics and I now live hours from an AS dealer
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
What was the recall issue? My dealer called and said mentioned there was a recall, but they didn't give specifics and I now live hours from an AS dealer
The recall is no big deal. If you have the sofa/lounge model (only, not twin bed model) AND the cabinetry housing the inverter doesn't have a cover over it, they installed a cover. Which takes all of five minutes to slide the cover in place and install a few self-tapping screws. The problem was this: Some owners, when they converted the sofa to a bed, were pushing the seat belts down out of the way after reclining the sofa, and the seat belts could fall into the inverter cabinet so that the metal buckles could cause a short-circuit. I never had that problem because I always pushed the seat belts out of the way before converting the sofa to a bed, so the seat belts fell behind the inverter cabinet, but I guess not all owners thought of that. Hence the recall.

So, push the seat belts down first, then recline the sofa, and you should be fine until you can get to a dealer to have the recall taken care of. When you do schedule a trip to the dealer, call at least a week ahead of time so they can order the part and have it ready when you get there.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated. It appears that my equipment is functioning correctly. I still don't understand tho how you can 'turn off' some of the outlets that are all on the same circuit when using the inverter.

In regards to an earlier posting about the recall and not being in the vicinity of an AS dealer, my solution was to find a local shop that AS would authorize to the do the work. As mentioned, it is pretty basic. The place where I store my AS does repairs, however, they are not an authorized AS repair shop. However, they spoke with Randy at AS and he is approving them to perform the recall work for me. He is sending them the needed parts and instructions.
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
[QUOTE=kaylorsan;1283890]Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated. It appears that my equipment is functioning correctly. I still don't understand tho how you can 'turn off' some of the outlets that are all on the same circuit when using the inverter.
QUOTE]

In models prior to 2013, the wiring comes into the AC panel, and then only one circuit has it go back out into the inverter, and there is only the receptables you mentioned that get power from that circuit. That's why the others are not powered by the inverter. The inverter has a transfer switch that automatically switches it from shore power to inverted from DC power when there is no AC power from the panel available. Why do they limit the inverted receptacles, you may ask? Because the inverter can only power 750 watts (some 2013 are 1000watts). They could have run all of the circuits through the inverter if they wanted to, and then run that into the panel, but choose to run all but the one circuit through the panel, and then, run only the few receptacles off the inverter when not on shore power. This keeps users from trying to use devices that will blow the circuit in the inverter, such as the microwave, because they use too much wattage.

In models prior to 2012, at least (I'm not sure about 2012, but they changed it for 2013), the inverter powered circuit also powers the refridgerator-and in my opinion, it should not do so. This is because the refridgerator runs natively on 12vdc (this is not a propane cooled device)so it reconverts the 120ac (which, remember, has been inverted from 12vdc to begin with) back to 12vdc to run the compressor. This is very inefficient. They corrected this oversight in 2013 and the refridgerator is no longer on the inverted circuit. It either runs off shore power (which is ok to have the unit then convert it to 12vdc) or the house batteries if there is no shore power. I changed mine out to a new separate circuit so the refridgerator is no longer on the inverted circuit in my 2011 Interstate. Now, it's happy, and so am I, now that wasted watts are not being consumed simply by the inverted and reconverted power to the fridge.

I posted a basic AC wiring schematic I made of the 2011 model on the Yahoo Interstate group if you wish to see how a 2011 is wired.

Gerald
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Some owners, when they converted the sofa to a bed, were pushing the seat belts down out of the way after reclining the sofa, and the seat belts could fall into the inverter cabinet so that the metal buckles could cause a short-circuit.
One of the main reasons I removed the rear seat belts.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
That works if you don't want to carry passengers on the rear bench seat. We use ours a lot to haul our extended family to events - one of the reasons we got the EXT lounge model. Just have to be carefull when pulling the seat belts down to convert to a bed.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #12

2009 22' Interstate
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Same issue but still not working on Gen or shore power

We just purchased a 2009 off a couple and I was plugged into shore power and tried running the generator and the galley outlets still would not work. No tripped breakers either.
???
Esyrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esyrydr View Post
We just purchased a 2009 off a couple and I was plugged into shore power and tried running the generator and the galley outlets still would not work. No tripped breakers either.
???
Galley outlets are GFCI. But in addition to the GFCI breaker, there is a GFCI "test/reset" button on one outlet on the circuit, probably the forward of of the galley (wardrobe model) or maybe beside the second-row driver's side seat (non-wardrobe model). Press that button to reset the GFCI, and the circuit should re-energize.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Don't know about the 2012 or 2009 version but here's how my 2011 (lounge) is setup: the second row outlet (streetside) is a GFCI which controls the two TV outlets. The GFCI breaker controls the outlet behind the rear wheelhouse (curbside) and the outlet over the counter. Didn't check the outside, frig, or microwave.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #15

2009 22' Interstate
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I figured out the galley outlet, breaker switch is a little worn (replaced now) Now I'm down to the outlet for the optional coffee pot. Time to get the Fluke out.
Esyrydr is offline   Reply With Quote