Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Intellitec EMS

Didn't get a book on this and just spent about two hours searching the net w/ no luck. Mine has always had some idiosyncrasies and now that I got the solar problem fixed, wanted to see if there was something I could do for this problem.

Anyone have a copy or a link for any info on the Model 500 EMS?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Didn't get a book on this and just spent about two hours searching the net w/ no luck. Mine has always had some idiosyncrasies and now that I got the solar problem fixed, wanted to see if there was something I could do for this problem.

Anyone have a copy or a link for any info on the Model 500 EMS?
Can you expand on what the problems are? Most problems I see with Intellitec Smart EMS products are usually traced back to either the control board or improper installation.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sometimes when I turn the battery disconnect on (w/o no AC power on and Tripp Lite off), the display LEDs all lite up and then go out and sometimes they lite up and stay on. If I turn the batteries off and wait about 30 seconds and turn them back on, it lites up and then goes out. It seems to work normally when on shore power or generator.

Edit: And the 20/30 amp switch doesn't seem to have any effect but w/o a manual, not sure just how it should work.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Can you post a shot of the monitor panel?

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 07-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sure, in the morning.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Here it is. Sorry it took so long. Phone cable was a charge only. Took awhile to figure that out. Rough ride caused the list to slide down.

Happy 4th of July!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150704_104715.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	242189  

Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Left a message for Randy McNeely. Will see if any response. Not sure why turning the house batteries on has any effect on the EMS since its intended purpose (I think) is to take care of the AC load on either shore power or generator.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida

The EMS should be dark unless there is 120VAC present. I would think that you have control board issues. It's tough to diagnose without being there to see his it was wired and to do some testing.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 07-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Randy is sending me the manual. Will see if I can dope it out from there. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Here's the Service Manual. Will check it out while in Florida next week.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec.pdf (658.4 KB, 109 views)

Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks for posting the manual. It is basically the same as the 50 amp units that I regularly work on. When you activate the battery disconnect switch, the control board in the EMS is getting a brief DC transient, which is probably bringing on the panel lights. The 12VDC is the control voltage the EMS board uses for activating the load shed relays that are on the board.

In the presence of 120VAC and 12VDC, the panel lights should come on and stay on. I wouldn't be too concerned about the quick on/off as long as the panel remains on in the presence of both voltage inputs.

Basically, the EMS is a load shed device which will block the application of 120VAC to selected appliances based on the programming (dip switch settings) found on the control board. This allows you to use the RV in less than full amperage conditions (20 amp service vs. 30 amp service) and will prevent breakers from opening in an over amperage situation if you are operating too many 120VAC appliances for the given capacity of the supply circuit.....ie: on 20 amps, the EMS will probably allow use of the roof A/C but not in conjunction with your water heater's electric element, microwave or any other large draw appliance.

Next time you're on a 20 amp circuit, switch the control panel to 20 amps and see what you can't operate as a test to see if the EMS is operating properly.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks Lew. The brief display of the lights wasn't what was my concern though. My concern dealt with the display sometimes came on and stayed on with no shore power or generator power hooked up.

Today when we were getting ready to leave, the house batteries were not being charged by the engine. I ran for a couple hours and then checked and they were being charged. Not sure if the BIM was stuck or what. We'll have to keep an eye on it for the rest of the trip.