Old 02-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Intake Manifold Carbon Buildup

I had a Limp Home Mode issue and my local repair guy said the codes point to sticking air control flaps on both intake manifolds. The exhaust gas recirculation system adds exhaust gas including carbon into the manifolds causing the issue.

I have about 90,000 miles on my 2015 NCV3 Sprinter. Anyone else have experience to share on issues like this and their (expensive) repair.

Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Induction cleaning

Never owned a Sprinter. However, I have owned a couple of Mercedes Diesel cars and have about 2 million miles driving class 8 diesel trucks. The induction systems need periodic maintenance. Check your owners manual scheduled maintenance recommendations and see if it suggests a mileage figure for induction system/injector cleaning. You may be well past due if this has not been done as recommended. Mercedes are expensive when new and expensive to maintain if done by the book. The upside is you can get very high mileage out of them. Get a shop that specializes in Mercedes service to take a look.

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Drive more

We used our 2015 sprinter (2016 airstream GT) sporadically when we first got it. Every Time we took a big trip something related to the DEFsystem would fail. Took it to a sprinter tuner and he said we need to drive it more and drive on highway. This tends to keep the valves and sensors related to the DEF system running. If you buy a good OBD reader and plug it in you can see when the valves have failed but not failed enough to throw a code. Better to run the codes before a big trio then get them serviced proactively. Or......drive on the highway once a week. That seems to have resolved our gremlins.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
We used our 2015 sprinter (2016 airstream GT) sporadically when we first got it. Every Time we took a big trip something related to the DEFsystem would fail. Took it to a sprinter tuner and he said we need to drive it more and drive on highway. This tends to keep the valves and sensors related to the DEF system running. If you buy a good OBD reader and plug it in you can see when the valves have failed but not failed enough to throw a code. Better to run the codes before a big trio then get them serviced proactively. Or......drive on the highway once a week. That seems to have resolved our gremlins.
CAMERONS - What do you suggest for those of us who are seasonal users? My unit is 11 months old with 9,000 miles. But our last big trip was Dec 1, 2018. I have only used it a few times locally. I definitely can not do highway runs every week; maybe once a month is best I can do in winter times. Our 1st 2019 trip would be March. I kinda worried, because OP's unit is barely 4 yr old unit with 90,000 miles. I would think with that kind of mileage (avg +20k/yr) it has enough highway miles. Any other suggestions to do? Would just running engine at high idle stationary help? These def diesels are completely new animal to me, so everyday is a learning episode.
Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Alex, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about your driving frequency and trip length. Longer frequent trips are probably good but you can only do what your current lifestyle and circumstances permit. I've come to accept the fact that I'm driving a vehicle with fantastic motor and trouble prone emissions control system and it is a game of Russian Roulette every time we take a trip. I'm always relieved when I arrive back home without an issue. I've had to replace the DEF tank heater and it is only a matter of time before the Nox sensors go bad. All that said, I still love this vehicle!
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Alex, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about your driving frequency and trip length. Longer frequent trips are probably good but you can only do what your current lifestyle and circumstances permit. I've come to accept the fact that I'm driving a vehicle with fantastic motor and trouble prone emissions control system and it is a game of Russian Roulette every time we take a trip. I'm always relieved when I arrive back home without an issue. I've had to replace the DEF tank heater and it is only a matter of time before the Nox sensors go bad. All that said, I still love this vehicle!
BURNTASPHALT - Thank you for suggestion. Being my first diesel & rv all rolled into one, I always worry if I am doing right practices But you are right, I can only do what circumstances permit. The good thing is 75% of its mileage is highway mileage, lots of 75-80mph long runs due to higher speed limits in NV & UT, and lots of hills for high rpm runs. So, the engine and emissions stuff get to really run hot and burn off the nasty stuff
Old 02-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
The worst thing for it is lots of short trips without a chance to get hot enough. You are likely to have some extended time of low use between trips, and you canít change that, but resist the urge to start it and idle it, or run to the local store frequently. That % figure you quote is the important one, as well as the time between those longer runs when you may want to add a highway drive in to offset any short trips.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
but resist the urge to start it and idle it, or run to the local store frequently.
JCL - Yes, so far I have been able to resist start/idle and short/store trips. But I have to be honest and say it is hard to resist because the van is so easy & fun to drive as a daily driver, it is always tempting.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Alex we are seasonal as well. That doesnít work well for sprinters. If you drive them they work well. If they sit they break. If you canít drive it much then just be prepared for potential DEF sensor and valve failures. It sucks. Iíve owned Honda toyota Acura VW Mazda porsche and out of all the vehicles the sprinter has broken the most by a large margin. Out of all the vehicles combined I had one engine code in 40 years of driving. Then came the sprinter with 3 codes in three years (not counting the air bag code because I unplugged the seat). Each time it was a sensor replacement or the EGR valve. Now I try to take the sprinter for a blast once a week on the highway. Iím tired of loading up the van for a trip only to call the dealer and ask the to squeeze us in. The only good part is the mercedes dealer is awesome. My wife Cor gets coffee and a massage in the massage chair. Windy our German Shepherd gets treats from the staff. Still it sucks to start a trip this way.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Alex we are seasonal as well. That doesn’t work well for sprinters. If you drive them they work well. If they sit they break. If you can’t drive it much then just be prepared for potential DEF sensor and valve failures. It sucks. I’ve owned Honda toyota Acura VW Mazda porsche and out of all the vehicles the sprinter has broken the most by a large margin. Out of all the vehicles combined I had one engine code in 40 years of driving. Then came the sprinter with 3 codes in three years (not counting the air bag code because I unplugged the seat). Each time it was a sensor replacement or the EGR valve. Now I try to take the sprinter for a blast once a week on the highway. I’m tired of loading up the van for a trip only to call the dealer and ask the to squeeze us in. The only good part is the mercedes dealer is awesome. My wife Cor gets coffee and a massage in the massage chair. Windy our German Shepherd gets treats from the staff. Still it sucks to start a trip this way.
CAMERONS - So what is your weekly exercise routine for the Sprinter (or others here who may have their recommendations for seasonal users). I read in different forums/threads min. of 30 mins at highway speeds? Do you keep it at certain rpm and/or what engine temp do you shoot for? Today, with the nice weather, we are taking it out for a day trip. I am fortunate our open highways are close by with 70-75mph speed limits and plenty of very long hills and mountains to get engine really nice & hot.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Alex. 30 min at 75 sounds perfect.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Alex. 30 min at 75 sounds perfect.
CAMERONS - thank you for this. The good thing about having to drive the AI even without a real destination, other than to just exercise it on a regular basis, is I love driving it to anywhere & everywhere
Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I would do 2 hours once a month over weekly for 30 minutes. It will take 15 minutes to get hot, and you want to run it for longer than 15 minutes once it is hot (that is when the clock starts, so to speak).
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:07 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
An update on the situation that led to this thread. I retrieved the AI from the shop while waiting for them to notify Good Sam on the repair. (According to Good Sam it wouldn't be covered without an appeal but that's another story.) The engine was now operating normally though the check engine light was still on. On the way home the check engine light went out.

The shop confirmed that they did not reset the computer so it appears that the driving/engine heat allowed the butterfly valves to move again and that the engine computer cleared the codes. I've driven more than 500 miles since then without incident.

The AI had been sitting for at least a month prior to the error codes/check engine light/limp home mode. From now on it gets a periodic workout.

Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote