Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Smile Insurance for 2012 Airstream Interstate

Newbie needs help with insurance! Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced insurance carrier for 2012 Airstream Interstate (used with low miles). I may also use for business purposes (mobile office, rent to friends, etc.) so that I can spend as much time with it and defray some the cost of buying an Airstream. What type of questions should I ask? Does the insurance cover the interior and structural items (e.g. inverter, refrigerator, etc). Btw, I live in Northern California if it makes any difference. Thanks.
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
I have USAA for my auto insurance. They don't so RVs though but they do work with providing coverage through progressive insurance.

New 2013 interstate, full coverage, 500 deductable was $770 last year. I just renewed last week and the policy went up to 860 due to an increase in RV payouts overall for the company.

In comparison I pay about 1200 a year for our 2004 Lexus rx330, which probably has a blue book of about 15k.

I live in Northern California as well.

Hope that's helpful.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Newbie needs help with insurance! Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced insurance carrier for 2012 Airstream Interstate (used with low miles). I may also use for business purposes (mobile office, rent to friends, etc.) so that I can spend as much time with it and defray some the cost of buying an Airstream. What type of questions should I ask? Does the insurance cover the interior and structural items (e.g. inverter, refrigerator, etc). Btw, I live in Northern California if it makes any difference. Thanks.
We use Geico. Our interstate is added as an additional vehicle. They are very reasonable.

Our rate is $502 for the year and covers everything. Bodily, property, personal, RV medical, emergency response, replacement of personal effects, vacation liability,( whatever that is), uninsured, comp, collision, roadside, towing, car rental, theft, fire, etc.

I don't think it's missing anything!

I thinks it's very reasonable. Especially when I used to own a boat and that insurance was 4 times that for just basic coverage.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
I have USAA for my auto insurance. They don't so RVs though but they do work with providing coverage through progressive insurance.

New 2013 interstate, full coverage, 500 deductable was $770 last year. I just renewed last week and the policy went up to 860 due to an increase in RV payouts overall for the company.

In comparison I pay about 1200 a year for our 2004 Lexus rx330, which probably has a blue book of about 15k.

I live in Northern California as well.

Hope that's helpful.
Thanks. When I went to the USAA site, it says you have to be in or affiliated with the military. Is that correct? What does "full coverage" include? Is it for replacement value or stated value? Btw, have you done any trips in the Northern California area and gone to any rallies?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
We use Geico. Our interstate is added as an additional vehicle. They are very reasonable.

Our rate is $502 for the year and covers everything. Bodily, property, personal, RV medical, emergency response, replacement of personal effects, vacation liability,( whatever that is), uninsured, comp, collision, roadside, towing, car rental, theft, fire, etc.

I don't think it's missing anything!

I thinks it's very reasonable. Especially when I used to own a boat and that insurance was 4 times that for just basic coverage.
Thanks for your response. Your rate sounds great. What are the coverage amounts? Does it cover for replacement value or stated?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, I think your insurance on this vehicle would be high enough without the business and rental part added. Business vehicles need a very high liability on them and some insurance companies don't insure commercial vehicles. I wouldn't advertise it for rent, but if you want to rent it to close friends, I would have them provide a RIDER from their insurance company. [ my experience on this, somewhat dated, is from owning a vehicle for running a business from and from renting a motorhome once]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use GMAC, obtained through Good Sam. I got "Compete Replacement" insurance, which is one step up from an "Agreed Value" policy.

The way it works is this: In the first five years, if I total my Interstate, they buy me a new one to replace it. All I pay is a $250 deductible. After that, it reverts to an Agreed Value policy, where a total loss pays out exactly what I paid the dealer to buy it, again less a $250 deductible, no matter how long I own it. No depreciation. That's with $3000 coverage for contents, too.

GMAC is not the only company that offers Good Sam discounts. So does Progressive and others. If you don't belong to Good Sam, join. Do it now. I paid $24 for a Good Sam membership. For the sake of curiosity, I got two quotes from Progressive, one for with Good Sam, one for without Good Sam. The quote with Good Sam was a whopping $400 per year cheaper! That's a major return on the membership investment.

GMAC came in cheaper still with Good Sam membership, so it costs me less per year to insure my Interstate than it did to insure the Dodge Durango I was driving at the time. When I got rid of my Durango and bought a Honda Fit that I could use as a toad, I added it to the CMAC policy, and I'm STILL paying less for BOTH vehicles than it cost to cover the Durango by itself.

Side note, the day after I bought my Interstate, some vile miscreant broke out the passenger-side front window and helped himself to my Kenwood head unit, doing about $3500 worth of damage. My $250 deductible paid for the window, and GMAC paid right around $3500 to replace the Kenwood and fix the dashboard. So far, since I've owned my Interstate, GMAC has paid out more than I've paid them for two years' premiums.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Geico for me. Replacement policy same as GMAC, but a lot less expensive.
I have a sticker on my passenger/driver window that says: "WARNING: DRONE ALARM POLICE WILL BE CALLED"

Either it will give them pause to break in or motivate them to. I'm not sure which.

Gerald
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Thanks. When I went to the USAA site, it says you have to be in or affiliated with the military. Is that correct?
You either have to be military or have done military service or be a dependent of someone w/ military service.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think your insurance on this vehicle would be high enough without the business and rental part added. Business vehicles need a very high liability on them and some insurance companies don't insure commercial vehicles. I wouldn't advertise it for rent, but if you want to rent it to close friends, I would have them provide a RIDER from their insurance company. [ my experience on this, somewhat dated, is from owning a vehicle for running a business from and from renting a motorhome once]
Thanks. I was actually thinking of using the vehicle as a home office. Business rate is much higher.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I use GMAC, obtained through Good Sam. I got "Compete Replacement" insurance, which is one step up from an "Agreed Value" policy.

The way it works is this: In the first five years, if I total my Interstate, they buy me a new one to replace it. All I pay is a $250 deductible. After that, it reverts to an Agreed Value policy, where a total loss pays out exactly what I paid the dealer to buy it, again less a $250 deductible, no matter how long I own it. No depreciation. That's with $3000 coverage for contents, too.

GMAC is not the only company that offers Good Sam discounts. So does Progressive and others. If you don't belong to Good Sam, join. Do it now. I paid $24 for a Good Sam membership. For the sake of curiosity, I got two quotes from Progressive, one for with Good Sam, one for without Good Sam. The quote with Good Sam was a whopping $400 per year cheaper! That's a major return on the membership investment.

GMAC came in cheaper still with Good Sam membership, so it costs me less per year to insure my Interstate than it did to insure the Dodge Durango I was driving at the time. When I got rid of my Durango and bought a Honda Fit that I could use as a toad, I added it to the CMAC policy, and I'm STILL paying less for BOTH vehicles than it cost to cover the Durango by itself.

Side note, the day after I bought my Interstate, some vile miscreant broke out the passenger-side front window and helped himself to my Kenwood head unit, doing about $3500 worth of damage. My $250 deductible paid for the window, and GMAC paid right around $3500 to replace the Kenwood and fix the dashboard. So far, since I've owned my Interstate, GMAC has paid out more than I've paid them for two years' premiums.
I can't believe someone broke your window. Did you get an alarm put on your AI? I was worried that some people would vandalize the vehicle. Anyone else out there had issues of this sort?

Thx for the tip about Good Sam.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Did you get an alarm put on your AI?
Yes. I was planning to install an alarm anyway, but the thief beat me to it. I ended up getting a better alarm than originally planned, installed by the same automotive audio company that installed the replacement Kenwood unit.

One good thing out of this mess… the break-in took the "new" right out of my Interstate. You know how, when you buy a new vehicle, you just absolutely dread the first little teensy bit of damage, no matter how minor, so you're careful to the point of paranoia, right up until you get that first door ding or whatever? After the break-in, I wasn't worried about stuff like that anymore!

With regard to insurance, by all means check as many companies as you can. gmillerok1 got a better rate from Geico than GMAC, but in my case, it was the reverse, Geico was higher. A lot depends on where you live.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Roadmama, if you're planning to use it for business, rentals, etc., then you need to talk to an accountant to figure out the money end of it. I believe most personal auto policies don't cover renting out your vehicle, for example, and the business part of it would be tax deductible possibly.

For insurance, to reinforce what Protagonist said: Everyone's situation is different, so it's useless to compare policy premiums. There are so many factors that even two people living next door to each other driving the exact same vehicles can have wildly different rates. The best thing to do is call a couple companies and start getting quotes.

Keep in mind some companies will write you a quote based on limited information, then when you get the actual underwritten premium (after they've done their research), it could be much higher. And remember the commercials always say, "People who SWITCH save..." Well, yeah, people who aren't saving money aren't going to switch companies, most of the time.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I was actually thinking of using the vehicle as a home office. Business rate is much higher.
Tax laws governing exactly what constitutes an office will come into play. Unless your business requires you to travel by road, and you will use your Interstate only for business travel and never to go camping, it will be a tough sell. If the IRS won't call it an office, chances are your insurance company won't, either. So before you look at business insurance on your Interstate, talk to a tax accountant to see if you can call it an office in the first place.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Taking the new out of your Interstate

Quote:

One good thing out of this mess… the break-in took the "new" right out of my Interstate. You know how, when you buy a new vehicle, you just absolutely dread the first little teensy bit of damage, no matter how minor, so you're careful to the point of paranoia, right up until you get that first door ding or whatever? After the break-in, I wasn't worried about stuff like that anymore!
I know what you mean... I had a mishap last month when a piece of metal came flying off the flatbed truck in front of me on the Ohio Turnpike. Fortunately it only it took out the drive's side head light assembly. I was able to replace it myself for about $400. I carry a $1000 deductible to keep my premiums low so it was my cost. But the "new" is really gone now.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Good Advice! Thx.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Yes. I was planning to install an alarm anyway, but the thief beat me to it. I ended up getting a better alarm than originally planned, installed by the same automotive audio company that installed the replacement Kenwood unit.

With regard to insurance, by all means check as many companies as you can. gmillerok1 got a better rate from Geico than GMAC, but in my case, it was the reverse, Geico was higher. A lot depends on where you live.
Protagonist, that's a bummer that someone damaged your AI. I am a little concerned of vandalism because is it a high-end vehicle. Has anyone else had vandalism on their AI? I'm surprised that AI doesn't already have an alarm installed considering it's price tag and that owners will be sleeping in it. Should I worry about vandalism and potential safety issues? What alarm have you bought and what basic features did you have?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Roadmama, if you're planning to use it for business, rentals, etc., then you need to talk to an accountant to figure out the money end of it. I believe most personal auto policies don't cover renting out your vehicle, for example, and the business part of it would be tax deductible possibly.

For insurance, to reinforce what Protagonist said: Everyone's situation is different, so it's useless to compare policy premiums. There are so many factors that even two people living next door to each other driving the exact same vehicles can have wildly different rates. The best thing to do is call a couple companies and start getting quotes.

Keep in mind some companies will write you a quote based on limited information, then when you get the actual underwritten premium (after they've done their research), it could be much higher. And remember the commercials always say, "People who SWITCH save..." Well, yeah, people who aren't saving money aren't going to switch companies, most of the time.
Excellent points. Have a call into my accountant. I'm just trying to figure away to pay off my AI. My husband is so sweet. Even though he doesn't agree that it's smart for us to get an AI, he is supporting me in my quest to explore and to teach our children how big the U.S. is and how different yet same we are in America. Also, I want them to enjoy and know how to travel and explore. Since the AI is expensive, I am trying to figure out as much ways to defray expenses. You know California is so expensive to live in; taxes are $8.75%!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I'm surprised that AI doesn't already have an alarm installed considering it's price tag and that owners will be sleeping in it.
I don't use the alarm while I'm occupying it; don't want to set the alarm off myself. That would really annoy the neighbors, and ruin my sleep, too. When I'm sleeping in it, no one is going to get in without waking me, and anyone who does get in will get a face-full of wasp spray.

Quote:
Should I worry about vandalism and potential safety issues?
Because you even asked the question, I'd guess you're at least a little bit worried about it. Do what you need to do to feel safe. If you don't feel safe, it won't be fun. As a rule, though, campgrounds tend to be safer than the places where we store our Airstreams between trips.

My alarm isn't a perfect defense against vandalism. Spray painted graffiti wouldn't set off the alarm but would cost a pretty penny to fix, for example. And even the alarm doesn't help if I'm at work and not at home to hear it go off. But I don't worry about it; that's what I have insurance for, to have them do the worrying for me.

Quote:
What alarm have you bought and what basic features did you have?
Viper. Shock sensor (impact, sometimes nuissance-tripped by pounding bass in passing car's stereos and by thunderclaps), glass break sensor, tilt sensor (which also functions as a flat tire alarm as well as detecting if someone's trying to tow it or jack it up), backup Li-ion battery so cutting the main battery cables doesn't silence it, backup siren with its own built-in Li-ion battery so they can't shut it off by killing the horn, eiher. Cost just over a grand, but I figure that <1% of the purchase price of the vehicle is cheap insurance. Didn't get remote start, but could have.

Also, if you plan to install an alarm, tell your insurance company. Two reasons: (1) it may bring down the price of your comprehensive coverage to have the alarm; (2) the insurance policy should cover damage to the alarm system, too, since anyone who does break in will want to disable the alarm, and that will have to be fixed as well.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
he is supporting me in my quest to explore and to teach our children how big the U.S. is and how different yet same we are in America.
Reminds me of something a British friend of mine once said: The difference between Americans and Europeans is, to an American, a hundred years is a long time. To a European, a hundred miles is a long distance.