Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 75
Smile Insurance for 2012 Airstream Interstate

Newbie needs help with insurance! Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced insurance carrier for 2012 Airstream Interstate (used with low miles). I may also use for business purposes (mobile office, rent to friends, etc.) so that I can spend as much time with it and defray some the cost of buying an Airstream. What type of questions should I ask? Does the insurance cover the interior and structural items (e.g. inverter, refrigerator, etc). Btw, I live in Northern California if it makes any difference. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
jquayle's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
I have USAA for my auto insurance. They don't so RVs though but they do work with providing coverage through progressive insurance.

New 2013 interstate, full coverage, 500 deductable was $770 last year. I just renewed last week and the policy went up to 860 due to an increase in RV payouts overall for the company.

In comparison I pay about 1200 a year for our 2004 Lexus rx330, which probably has a blue book of about 15k.

I live in Northern California as well.

Hope that's helpful.
__________________

__________________
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Teamaron's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Newbie needs help with insurance! Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced insurance carrier for 2012 Airstream Interstate (used with low miles). I may also use for business purposes (mobile office, rent to friends, etc.) so that I can spend as much time with it and defray some the cost of buying an Airstream. What type of questions should I ask? Does the insurance cover the interior and structural items (e.g. inverter, refrigerator, etc). Btw, I live in Northern California if it makes any difference. Thanks.
We use Geico. Our interstate is added as an additional vehicle. They are very reasonable.

Our rate is $502 for the year and covers everything. Bodily, property, personal, RV medical, emergency response, replacement of personal effects, vacation liability,( whatever that is), uninsured, comp, collision, roadside, towing, car rental, theft, fire, etc.

I don't think it's missing anything!

I thinks it's very reasonable. Especially when I used to own a boat and that insurance was 4 times that for just basic coverage.
__________________
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
I have USAA for my auto insurance. They don't so RVs though but they do work with providing coverage through progressive insurance.

New 2013 interstate, full coverage, 500 deductable was $770 last year. I just renewed last week and the policy went up to 860 due to an increase in RV payouts overall for the company.

In comparison I pay about 1200 a year for our 2004 Lexus rx330, which probably has a blue book of about 15k.

I live in Northern California as well.

Hope that's helpful.
Thanks. When I went to the USAA site, it says you have to be in or affiliated with the military. Is that correct? What does "full coverage" include? Is it for replacement value or stated value? Btw, have you done any trips in the Northern California area and gone to any rallies?
__________________
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
We use Geico. Our interstate is added as an additional vehicle. They are very reasonable.

Our rate is $502 for the year and covers everything. Bodily, property, personal, RV medical, emergency response, replacement of personal effects, vacation liability,( whatever that is), uninsured, comp, collision, roadside, towing, car rental, theft, fire, etc.

I don't think it's missing anything!

I thinks it's very reasonable. Especially when I used to own a boat and that insurance was 4 times that for just basic coverage.
Thanks for your response. Your rate sounds great. What are the coverage amounts? Does it cover for replacement value or stated?
__________________
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Newbie needs help with insurance! Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced insurance carrier for 2012 Airstream Interstate (used with low miles). I may also use for business purposes (mobile office, rent to friends, etc.) so that I can spend as much time with it and defray some the cost of buying an Airstream. What type of questions should I ask? Does the insurance cover the interior and structural items (e.g. inverter, refrigerator, etc). Btw, I live in Northern California if it makes any difference. Thanks.
Hi, I think your insurance on this vehicle would be high enough without the business and rental part added. Business vehicles need a very high liability on them and some insurance companies don't insure commercial vehicles. I wouldn't advertise it for rent, but if you want to rent it to close friends, I would have them provide a RIDER from their insurance company. [ my experience on this, somewhat dated, is from owning a vehicle for running a business from and from renting a motorhome once]
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,294
I use GMAC, obtained through Good Sam. I got "Compete Replacement" insurance, which is one step up from an "Agreed Value" policy.

The way it works is this: In the first five years, if I total my Interstate, they buy me a new one to replace it. All I pay is a $250 deductible. After that, it reverts to an Agreed Value policy, where a total loss pays out exactly what I paid the dealer to buy it, again less a $250 deductible, no matter how long I own it. No depreciation. That's with $3000 coverage for contents, too.

GMAC is not the only company that offers Good Sam discounts. So does Progressive and others. If you don't belong to Good Sam, join. Do it now. I paid $24 for a Good Sam membership. For the sake of curiosity, I got two quotes from Progressive, one for with Good Sam, one for without Good Sam. The quote with Good Sam was a whopping $400 per year cheaper! That's a major return on the membership investment.

GMAC came in cheaper still with Good Sam membership, so it costs me less per year to insure my Interstate than it did to insure the Dodge Durango I was driving at the time. When I got rid of my Durango and bought a Honda Fit that I could use as a toad, I added it to the CMAC policy, and I'm STILL paying less for BOTH vehicles than it cost to cover the Durango by itself.

Side note, the day after I bought my Interstate, some vile miscreant broke out the passenger-side front window and helped himself to my Kenwood head unit, doing about $3500 worth of damage. My $250 deductible paid for the window, and GMAC paid right around $3500 to replace the Kenwood and fix the dashboard. So far, since I've owned my Interstate, GMAC has paid out more than I've paid them for two years' premiums.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 452
Geico for me. Replacement policy same as GMAC, but a lot less expensive.
I have a sticker on my passenger/driver window that says: "WARNING: DRONE ALARM POLICE WILL BE CALLED"

Either it will give them pause to break in or motivate them to. I'm not sure which.

Gerald
__________________
2011 Interstate WD/Lounge
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Thanks. When I went to the USAA site, it says you have to be in or affiliated with the military. Is that correct?
You either have to be military or have done military service or be a dependent of someone w/ military service.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think your insurance on this vehicle would be high enough without the business and rental part added. Business vehicles need a very high liability on them and some insurance companies don't insure commercial vehicles. I wouldn't advertise it for rent, but if you want to rent it to close friends, I would have them provide a RIDER from their insurance company. [ my experience on this, somewhat dated, is from owning a vehicle for running a business from and from renting a motorhome once]
Thanks. I was actually thinking of using the vehicle as a home office. Business rate is much higher.
__________________
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I use GMAC, obtained through Good Sam. I got "Compete Replacement" insurance, which is one step up from an "Agreed Value" policy.

The way it works is this: In the first five years, if I total my Interstate, they buy me a new one to replace it. All I pay is a $250 deductible. After that, it reverts to an Agreed Value policy, where a total loss pays out exactly what I paid the dealer to buy it, again less a $250 deductible, no matter how long I own it. No depreciation. That's with $3000 coverage for contents, too.

GMAC is not the only company that offers Good Sam discounts. So does Progressive and others. If you don't belong to Good Sam, join. Do it now. I paid $24 for a Good Sam membership. For the sake of curiosity, I got two quotes from Progressive, one for with Good Sam, one for without Good Sam. The quote with Good Sam was a whopping $400 per year cheaper! That's a major return on the membership investment.

GMAC came in cheaper still with Good Sam membership, so it costs me less per year to insure my Interstate than it did to insure the Dodge Durango I was driving at the time. When I got rid of my Durango and bought a Honda Fit that I could use as a toad, I added it to the CMAC policy, and I'm STILL paying less for BOTH vehicles than it cost to cover the Durango by itself.

Side note, the day after I bought my Interstate, some vile miscreant broke out the passenger-side front window and helped himself to my Kenwood head unit, doing about $3500 worth of damage. My $250 deductible paid for the window, and GMAC paid right around $3500 to replace the Kenwood and fix the dashboard. So far, since I've owned my Interstate, GMAC has paid out more than I've paid them for two years' premiums.
I can't believe someone broke your window. Did you get an alarm put on your AI? I was worried that some people would vandalize the vehicle. Anyone else out there had issues of this sort?

Thx for the tip about Good Sam.
__________________
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Did you get an alarm put on your AI?
Yes. I was planning to install an alarm anyway, but the thief beat me to it. I ended up getting a better alarm than originally planned, installed by the same automotive audio company that installed the replacement Kenwood unit.

One good thing out of this mess… the break-in took the "new" right out of my Interstate. You know how, when you buy a new vehicle, you just absolutely dread the first little teensy bit of damage, no matter how minor, so you're careful to the point of paranoia, right up until you get that first door ding or whatever? After the break-in, I wasn't worried about stuff like that anymore!

With regard to insurance, by all means check as many companies as you can. gmillerok1 got a better rate from Geico than GMAC, but in my case, it was the reverse, Geico was higher. A lot depends on where you live.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Skater's Avatar
 
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,344
Roadmama, if you're planning to use it for business, rentals, etc., then you need to talk to an accountant to figure out the money end of it. I believe most personal auto policies don't cover renting out your vehicle, for example, and the business part of it would be tax deductible possibly.

For insurance, to reinforce what Protagonist said: Everyone's situation is different, so it's useless to compare policy premiums. There are so many factors that even two people living next door to each other driving the exact same vehicles can have wildly different rates. The best thing to do is call a couple companies and start getting quotes.

Keep in mind some companies will write you a quote based on limited information, then when you get the actual underwritten premium (after they've done their research), it could be much higher. And remember the commercials always say, "People who SWITCH save..." Well, yeah, people who aren't saving money aren't going to switch companies, most of the time.
__________________
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
I was actually thinking of using the vehicle as a home office. Business rate is much higher.
Tax laws governing exactly what constitutes an office will come into play. Unless your business requires you to travel by road, and you will use your Interstate only for business travel and never to go camping, it will be a tough sell. If the IRS won't call it an office, chances are your insurance company won't, either. So before you look at business insurance on your Interstate, talk to a tax accountant to see if you can call it an office in the first place.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.