Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Insulating galley cabinet

With the refrigerator already removed yesterday, today, I insulated the area under the galley counter.

The first photo shows the area behind the refrigerator as it was built at Airstream. There is obviously very little insulation. As built, the vent was blocked. I opened a vent several months ago, but the fridge could not handle high outside temperatures (99 today).

The next photo shows a 1" thick foam, foil covered panel I added on the left side. There was plenty of clearance on that side.

The next photo shows the outside wall and right side The gap between the drawer at the bottom and the top is filled with a 1" thick panel like the left side. At the bottom rear, there is about a 4" x 10" opening to allow air to reach the condenser fins. The spec is a minimum of 30 sq inches, so this is about the right size. By only allowing air in at the bottom, I now have the desired chimney effect over the condenser.

The next photo shows the fridge going back in. There is just enough clearance at the top to accept the layer of Reflectix that I taped on the top. Extra insulation can always help.

The next photo is the microwave compartment. I insulated it as well since the less heat under the counter, the better.

I spliced in wires for a possible fan, but it doesn't look like I will need one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream original.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	290544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left side insulated.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	290545  

Name:	Right side done.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	290546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave side.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	290547  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Contributing Member

The result

This last photo is the readings for the two inside-outside thermometers I have inside the box. When the fridge was in, I started it and then did the microwave side. The fridge had been on for about an hour and a half when I took the photo. Before, I could not get the temperature under 42 degrees when it is 100 degrees outside, and often 44 degrees. I can now feel heat coming out of the top vent, showing that the chimney effect is working.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Final temperature.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	290548  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Missed photo

Just realized I missed the photo of the fridge going back in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Going back in.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	290549  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Nice job and great photos!

It was so hot and miserable the day I insulated mine that I forgot to take in progress photos.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
This last photo is the readings for the two inside-outside thermometers I have inside the box.
Note the 100.1-degree max shown on the right-hand display. That display and sender were outside in my car until a few minutes earlier. The Airstream Flying Cloud that parks next to me in storage is off on a trip, so my car was in the shade in his spot. The reason that the current inside temperature is not the same on both displays is that the right-hand display had not totally cooled down to room temperature. A few minutes later, they both were within a degree of agreeing.

Days like yesterday (and today) make it worthwhile for me to pay for 30 amps in storage, as well as being good for my batteries. The Airstream Flying Cloud that parks next to me runs his AC continuously in storage, probably at a higher setting. I run mine only when I at the AI.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Final temperature.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	290607  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Poor venting

In the attached photo, Airstream intended the refrigerator venting to go up behind the two mouse-fur panels projecting downward from the counter top. The original vent was down on the back of the counter, into the window opening, behind the panels.

There are two problems with this: First, the mouse-fur panels protrude down way too far. The condenser is high up on the rear of the refrigerator. The right panel blocks the top third of the right 2/3 of the condenser. The left panel blocks over half of the left third of the condenser. These top sections of the condenser are left sitting in trapped hot air.

The vent I opened behind the drawer vents the entire condenser. The only trouble is that there is no defined "chimney" to induce an adiabatic draft.

By allowing air in only at the bottom and by creating a chimney with Reflectix and panels, I now have a good draft and the refrigerator is working much better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream original.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	290644  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-29-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Have you done anything to provide an improved source of incoming air? I see the 4"x10" air inlet hole in the bottom rear of your fridge space, but it is not clear to me where this inlet air comes from. Was there a specific air inlet vent? If not, did you add one?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Have you done anything to provide an improved source of incoming air? I see the 4"x10" air inlet hole in the bottom rear of your fridge space, but it is not clear to me where this inlet air comes from. Was there a specific air inlet vent? If not, did you add one?
There was no inlet air vent as designed by Airstream. There is a thread I started several months ago. I think it was called "Refrigerator Ventilation." I removed a 3" high board under the drawer that is under my microwave and replaced it with a 3" high marine vent (the kind used to vent the engine compartment on power boats). That vent more than provides the square inch area required by the refrigerator specs. Search for threads under my name to locate that thread with photos and source for the vent.

The attached photo shows a white vent. I later sprayed it black to match the adjacent refrigerator and furnace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170304_132103.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	290764  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Pahaska
Found the other thread - thanks. We have no trouble keeping our fridge cool. Venting must be better (by accident rather than design, I am sure) when AI reversed things with our floor plan. Even so installing your vent would not hurt.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
What holds the frige in the cabinet?
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
What holds the frige in the cabinet?
Four screws through the frame and into the woodwork. The screws are covered by black plastic plugs that are hard to remove. I used the foil cutter on my wine opener to slip behind the rim of the plugs to open up enough clearance to get something larger behind the rims. I found that my cooking fork tines straddled the plugs nicely. Once I had started the plugs out with the blade, I could lever them easily out with the fork.

The refrigerator is light and once the screws are removed, it slides out very easily.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
In my twin, the frige is located to the front of the galley cabinet just aft of the driver seat. I just finished modifying mine by adding vents high up on the front end of the cabinet and insulating the back wall with 3 layers of reflective flexible insulation. I also put a layer on top of the frige. I'll report back on how it worked out. The reason I did mine is that on a recent trip I had two seperate occasions to overnight in Las Vegas where it was 110ish degrees both times and the frige was only cooling down to low to mid 40's. In my case I have meds that I keep in the frige.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
In my twin, the frige is located to the front of the galley cabinet just aft of the driver seat. I just finished modifying mine by adding vents high up on the front end of the cabinet and insulating the back wall with 3 layers of reflective flexible insulation. I also put a layer on top of the frige. I'll report back on how it worked out. The reason I did mine is that on a recent trip I had two seperate occasions to overnight in Las Vegas where it was 110ish degrees both times and the frige was only cooling down to low to mid 40's. In my case I have meds that I keep in the frige.

All four of you talking about this subject have chosen to describe your machine in your profile as an "Interstate Coach". It would be helpful for all of us to know if you have an "Interstate Lounge" or "Interstate Grand Tour". This is especially relevant when it comes to this subject of refer combos.

Thanks!
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
All four of you talking about this subject have chosen to describe your machine in your profile as an "Interstate Coach". It would be helpful for all of us to know if you have an "Interstate Lounge" or "Interstate Grand Tour". This is especially relevant when it comes to this subject of refer combos.

Thanks!
Don't criticize the members on this issue. The choices for your coach are by pull down menu and for many years, like my 2013 the only choice is "2013 Interstate Coach". The problem is the forum's software not the members.

Also the GT only started in 2015. If something is not clear to you ask a question. I'm sure you can get a clarifying answer.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Don't criticize the members on this issue. The choices for your coach are by pull down menu and for many years, like my 2013 the only choice is "2013 Interstate Coach". The problem is the forum's software not the members.

Also the GT only started in 2015. If something is not clear to you ask a question. I'm sure you can get a clarifying answer.

Mike,
Thanks for the education about the forum's limitations. No criticism intended.
Mark
Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:

Thanks!
Uh, re-read my post. I clearly state "in my Twin".......
Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
Contributing Member

The principles of proper venting, creating a chimney effect over the condenser coils, and reducing the sun load in the cabinet by adding insulation apply equally to the GT as well as the lounge.

The GT has a longer vertical chimney behind the two boxes and has vents both below and above. That probably more than makes up for the fact that there are two condensers.

My lounge, as built by Airstream had no lower vent and a very poor upper vent. These items were the first things I modified, followed by improving the chimney effect and reducing the sun load by insulating the outer wall. My fridge cools very rapidly now.

I expect the GT would benefit by better insulating the outer wall.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Uh, re-read my post. I clearly state "in my Twin".......
And the Twin is a derivative of the GT, right? Therefore a separate fridge and freezer... ?

Mark
Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #19
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
And the Twin is a derivative of the GT, right? Therefore a separate fridge and freezer... ?

Mark
Twins are derivatives of the current GT's however thru model year 2017 they were also derivatives of Lounge models. Some, such as mine had a wardrobe option and even a dual wardrobe option. The ones with a single wardrobe had a 2nd row seat behind the passenger and the dual wardrobe models eliminated the 2nd row seats.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Twins are derivatives of the current GT's however thru model year 2017 they were also derivatives of Lounge models. Some, such as mine had a wardrobe option and even a dual wardrobe option. The ones with a single wardrobe had a 2nd row seat behind the passenger and the dual wardrobe models eliminated the 2nd row seats.
Good to know. I do like the Twin layout... so does the dual wardrobe model (without the second row seats) have the larger, separate fridge freezer? Also... do the twin beds always stay as beds in the back or do they fold up to be bench seats? How comfy is it to sit there and be watching TV facing forward?

Never seen one in person and the promotional literature is tough to find.

Thanks,
Mark