Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Install Progressive Surge Protector

Installed in left rear corner alongside the shore power generator transfer switch is a Progressive Industries EMSHW30C Surge Protector with remote readout up in the electrical control panel. Cost from Amazon $269.50. Progressive does not supply a 4 conductor cord long enough to route up to the overhead but you can buy the wire and crimp-type ends from Radio Shack and make your own 4 conductor “data wire.” It looks just like telephone extension cord but the wires are not connected the same at the ends as it is for phones. I can now monitor my shore power, feel safe with high and low voltage and spikes. And it has a by-pass mode if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProgressiveSurgeProtInstalled.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	205313   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProgressiveIndicator.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	528.7 KB
ID:	205314  

Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Surge protectors are generally sacrificial; they commit suicide to protect the rest of your system from a significant surge. In other words, they'll protect from a lot of brownouts or other minor fluctuations, but only one surge from a lightning strike on the line or whatever. One reason why I never went with a permanent install; I use a portable surge protector, that's easy to replace if it ever gives its life in the performance of its duties.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I bought the progressive portable - but would be kinda nice installed permanent

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
BikerBill

I don't like to have to worry about locking it to the post. People steal them when you're not there. Also, the Progressive DOES have a by-pass switch to allow you to override. AND since I know how to do the wiring, if necessary I can rewire in place to eliminate it completely. Different strokes for different folks. We can't all be like Henry Ford and hope that everyone drives a black Ford.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I don't like to have to worry about locking it to the post. People steal them when you're not there. Also, the Progressive DOES have a by-pass switch to allow you to override. AND since I know how to do the wiring, if necessary I can rewire in place to eliminate it completely. Different strokes for different folks. We can't all be like Henry Ford and hope that everyone drives a black Ford.
No one has ever stolen mine, without locking it to anything. Or stolen anything else I've ever left out when I was away from camp for a few hours. Where do you camp that you have to worry about theft and pilferage, so I know to avoid those places?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I've never lost anything at a campsite either but due to the cost of the surge protector and the removable shore power cord I do lock them to the power post.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I installed mine permanent but used connectors so I can easily by base it as mine does not have a by base switch.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392144114.734421.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	715.6 KB
ID:	205361Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392144196.174353.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	749.5 KB
ID:	205362
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Surge protectors are generally sacrificial; they commit suicide to protect the rest of your system from a significant surge. In other words, they'll protect from a lot of brownouts or other minor fluctuations, but only one surge from a lightning strike on the line or whatever. One reason why I never went with a permanent install; I use a portable surge protector, that's easy to replace if it ever gives its life in the performance of its duties.
I also now use a portable surge protector, but would prefer a permanent install to eliminate one more thing I don't have to store and then drag out to hook-up.

The Progressive unit has this nice feature:
Modular Design:
Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.

So when the unit gets fried on a surge you just have to replace a circuit board and not the whole unit.

... and as Bikebill noted it also has a bypass mode.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Bought one of the permanent mount models from Phil May at last year's Alumapalooza. I really like it, especially the ability to constantly monitor inbound volts into my trailer. Was helpful last summer on a 103 degree day in a campground that was really struggling with adequate power. Really like the fact that this thing checks out the inbound power BEFORE bad stuff can happen from an improperly wired campground. Oh, and the surge protector is nice as well. It was very easy to install. I did it right there at JC, took about 40 minutes.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Associated background noise ??

I've read where there maybe some background noise with installed units (TRC brand ) when they are running. Has anyone experienced with that with Progressive ?
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
BikerBill

Been sleeping now 2 weeks on the road and at campgrounds. My head is almost over location of my Progressive and no noise to comment on. If I listen very carefully I possibly can discern a slight and I stress slight hum. On a scale of 1-1-10 I'd place it at a 1 or less. I really have to listen carefully to even notice and when asleep nothing. In fact the BLM switching on and off to charge the engine battery is probably a 5+ as for any sounds and that's basically a click.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I like the idea of a permanent install for one less thing to store and ease of use. On the other hand seems like the portable unit, once plugged in at the pedestal, will let you know if you have any power issues BEFORE you connect your RV to shore power. With a permanent install you connect first and then go inside to see what the monitor is telling you after you have already connected.

Probably am missing something here?
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's my understanding as well and the reason we have a portable unit.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I like the idea of a permanent install for one less thing to store and ease of use. On the other hand seems like the portable unit, once plugged in at the pedestal, will let you know if you have any power issues BEFORE you connect your RV to shore power. With a permanent install you connect first and then go inside to see what the monitor is telling you after you have already connected.

Probably am missing something here?

When I plug mine in it does not conduct the electricity to the trade until all is well - it's about a 2 min delay after plugging everything in

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
You are correct. But it will not connect if there is a problem.
I installed mine on the wall to the water heater and have connectors connecting it in case it goes bad I also can by pass it.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
BikerBill

Installed my Progressive remote read out up in the overhead by the electrical readouts. If it does not like the power I'm plug in it will give me an error code. If it is happy it will allow power from the Progessive to the camper. Once established it will show volts, amps, and no error. I've had built in surge protectors for over 20 years and have never had a problem. In my prior Class A twice in one hot summer we were in 2 different campgrounds that had low voltage due to high heat and too many AC's running in campground. Voltage was too low so it would not allow or pass voltage to my unit. I had the option to do the by-pass, as allowed with Progressive's remote, but I chose not to and ran the generator all weekend. Fellow neighboring campers were not happy and campground would not refund my money so I stayed put. Told them, I;m paying for good electric, so either give it to me or refund my money. Thats the nice thing with the Progressive builtin unit, it has a bypass switch so that if you chose to bypass it only then becomes a surge protector like a GFI. On bypass it doesn't protect from high and low voltage conditions.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I just ordered a Progressive Industries EMSHW30C and will install before our summer trip.

I've looked closely at the photos of installations from "Bikerbill" and "PSchw". Best I can tell from your photos it looks like you both installed the EMS after the ATS (Auto Transfer Switch), such that it protects both generator and shore power. If that is correct have you had any issues with this setup?

I noticed that the Progressive installation instructions mention wiring it this was, but their FAQ says not to do it and install before the ATS:

"Should a Hardwired EMS be installed before or after the transfer switch?
A hardwired EMS should be installed prior to the transfer switch. The reason for this is RV generators already have built-in voltage and frequency protection. If the EMS is installed after the transfer switch, this leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to power problems."

I may also contact Progressive and see what they think of the Interstate setup.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #18
BikerBill

I've had no problems with it AFTER the transfer switch as that is what I feel is the best place. Doing so you monitor via their readout volt, amps, cycles, plus error codes but importantly it shows me that when on generator my cycles are not normally 60 but range from 60-62. No big deal but nice to be aware of.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I did not have problems either. Works well.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

raymond , Iowa
Seems from this string that you installed such that it monitored both incoming A/C and your generator. Progressive reviews suggest a problem with protecting the generator due to a floating gound. Did you have such a problem, and if so how did you resolve it? Can you provide a diagram of how you wired it - Progressive reviews said that wiring intructions were not clear. Thanks much - I am new to the AI and find some things that clearly need improvement but don't want to make it worse.
Thanks
RickABishop is offline   Reply With Quote